Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 4,802 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be relocating for about a year from Boston to Annapolis for work (starting at the end of July). I'm a single late 20's female. Can anyone provide fun suggestions for the area? Places to eat, things to do (besides go to the mall), recreation?

Additionally, I am looking at signing a lease at Stone Point apartments, if anyone has any experiences to share...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 06:50 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,706,777 times
You have a lot to do. It would depend on how far you want to drive. The entire DC-Baltimore area is loaded with things to do as far as recreation, culture, nightlife etc. This is probably obvious.

As far as the Annapolis area itself, there is a lot of boat culture. So if you like boating, you have that. Downtown Annapolis is quite vibrant and is very walkable. It's pretty touristy, but there are still plenty of places to just hang out for locals as well.

Quite Waters Park is really nice. It has a dog park, a nice bike trail system and a dock where you can rent kayaks, paddleboards etc.

The Baltimore Annapolis Trail is a really nice biking/hiking trail between Annapolis and BWI Airport through Severna Park. BWI itself also has a trail that circles the airport.

Bowie just west of Annapolis has a minor league baseball team.

Annapolis town center puts on quite a few events and festivals as does downtown Annapolis. In the summer there is something going on it seems every weekend from boat shows to food festivals.

It's not Ocean City, but you do have Sandy Point Park near the Bay Bridge for a quick visit to a beach.

Speaking of the Bay Bridge, on the other side of the bridge are some nice waterfront restaurants as well as another bike quite scenic bike trail.

Solomans Island is a bit of a drive, but it's a nice place to visit on a nice day.

I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff in the Annapolis area. But DC and Baltimore are both just 30 miles away. There are so many recreational options and things to do in DC I can't begin to list them all and Baltimore has some fun things to do as well. You can drive to New Carrollton and catch the Metro to DC (15 minute drive) or drive to Glen Bernie and catch the light rail to Balitmore. Also Maryland has some really nice state parks in the area.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM

4,370 posts, read 7,021,562 times
The Rennaissance Festival goes on continuously for a couple of months, in a suburb of Annapolis. This is their website Home

Another local organization http://www.annapolisbicycleclub.org

Old 07-10-2014, 09:46 AM

299 posts, read 1,005,313 times
I'm a single early 30s female and love living in Annapolis. Meetup.com has been a really useful resource for meeting new people and finding out about events, etc, so I'd recommend joining it if you haven't already and check out some of the groups in the area - they're pretty active here.

If you're interested in rec sports, WAKA (WAKA Kickball & Social Sports | Best Parties. Best Games. Best Friends. | WAKA Kickball & Social Sports) and Annapolis Sports & Social Club (Annapolis Sports & Social Club, L.L.C.) have kickball, flag football, etc leagues. You can join as a free agent and they'll assign you to a team that needs players. I play kickball with WAKA and again, it's a great way to meet new people and have fun.

Of course there's the Naval Academy (http://www.usna.edu/homepage.php). It's a beautiful campus and worth a self or guided tour.

And football season starts soon (Navy Football Official Schedule - NAVYSPORTS.com - The United States Naval Academy Official Athletic Site). Navy games are a ton of fun, tickets are reasonable, and the stadium is small, so every seat is a good seat.

Some of my favorite restaurants/bars are Red Red Wine, Dry 85, Metropolitan (check out their rooftop deck), Rams Head (great patio), 1747 Pub, and Factors Row. Those are all downtown and within walking distance from the water.

The city also has a free trolley (Circulator) that runs between market square the the Park Place complex.

Feel welcome to DM me if you have other questions, etc.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:25 PM

132 posts, read 323,056 times
I just recently moved to the Annapolis area in Arnold. You will have plenty to do in the Annapolis area. Not only is Annapolis itself a great hang out place or young people, but it is very close to other cool, hang out places, too (Baltimore and DC). There is water everywhere, and there is a lot of sightseeing. Thee are a few nice small beaches around like Sandy Point as someone else mentioned, and Downs Park in Pasadena. It also has a nice outlet mall, and the mega Arundel Mills Mall is in the area too. Annapolis has just about any restaurant you can think of. And if some of the amazing restaurants aren't in Annapolis, they're in the surrounding towns like the Fuji Steakhouse at the Waugh Chapel Center in Gambrills and Sonic in Edgewater. Not to mention Maryland's crab cakes and famous blue crabs are here, if you're into seafood. Also there is this really beautiful town I visited recently which is not too far from Annapolis (about 30-40 mins) called Ellicott City. The Annapolis area is a wonderful place to be, you'll love it here. It is very historic, its semi urban and near major urban areas, and it is very beautiful and has a lot of amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland