U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:58 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times

Advertisements

I may move in the future to Silver Spring, Maryland. Silver Spring it's close to DC and VA, which is is great. I can go to DC and VA to hang out. How is it over there? I have a friend that tells me that over there is diverse. Is it true? Do you think I'm going to like Silver Spring coming from NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2014, 08:05 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Downtown Silver Spring (near the Metro station) is great. I work there and know many people that live there and they all really like it.

Yes, it's very diverse racially. Lots to do around the area and very walkable. DC is a short metro ride way. Bethesda and is not too far away. It's a great location between NoVA, DC, the 270 corridor in Montgomery County (Rockville etc) and even BWI etc are not too far away. Traffic can be brutal in the area, but if you can avoid commuting from the outer suburbs, it's not bad.

Transit is great with METRO, MARC and DC/County/Commuter buses all converging there. The future purple line will also run through the area.

I like the area and like I said, those that I know that live there like the area (most live in high rise condos and apartments).

Old 07-09-2014, 08:32 PM

15,664 posts, read 18,206,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
I may move in the future to Silver Spring, Maryland. Silver Spring it's close to DC and VA, which is is great. I can go to DC and VA to hang out. How is it over there? I have a friend that tells me that over there is diverse. Is it true? Do you think I'm going to like Silver Spring coming from NYC?
One thing you have to keep in mind is that New York City is an absolute monster of a city. Only 11 states in the U.S. have a population greater than New York City.

Therefore, obviously you need to readjust your expectations accordingly. But yes, Silver Spring is diverse, has a good downtown for its size and many restaurants. Also, easy metro access to Washington DC and other areas.

Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 PM

621 posts, read 721,766 times
I live in SS now. I like it a lot. It's pretty diverse, but not NYC diverse. There are tons of Black Americans and African immigrants, so you won't like it if you are uncomfortable around these people. There are plenty in my building, however, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. Generally, the farther west and south you go in SS, the better. The (white) natives consider downtown (Georgia Ave) to be a line of demarcation. That is, if you live downtown or west of Georgia Ave., you are in a good neighborhood (provided that it is south of the Beltway). They have a metro station downtown. Traffic can get bad but I know how to work around it. I drive everywhere unless I have to go downtown, in which case I walk or bus to the metro. Although housing is quite pricey, it's much more affordable than NYC.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:39 AM

9,405 posts, read 5,202,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
I live in SS now. I like it a lot. It's pretty diverse, but not NYC diverse. There are tons of Black Americans and African immigrants, so you won't like it if you are uncomfortable around these people. There are plenty in my building, however, and I haven't had a problem with any of them. Generally, the farther west and south you go in SS, the better. The (white) natives consider downtown (Georgia Ave) to be a line of demarcation. That is, if you live downtown or west of Georgia Ave., you are in a good neighborhood (provided that it is south of the Beltway). They have a metro station downtown. Traffic can get bad but I know how to work around it. I drive everywhere unless I have to go downtown, in which case I walk or bus to the metro. Although housing is quite pricey, it's much more affordable than NYC.

This post treads on some pretty thin ice. I"ll leave it at that.

As for SS I lived there for the decade of the 80's. I recently went back downtown and really looked around. I could not believe how much nicer it was. Drove down Fenton Street and saw an alley with shops, never thought I'd see that in SS. Back then crime was a bit of an issue. Never a bad problem but you did keep your eyes open at night. But it was a far cry from NYC and that was back then, now I would think it would feel as safe as Mayberry for someone coming from New York.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,202,148 times
Thanks everyone for your input. Keep them coming.

I want to ask another question. Does everyone gets a long fine or is there any animosity to any particular group (Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, Whites, etc.)?

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM

10,705 posts, read 18,488,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. Keep them coming.

I want to ask another question. Does everyone gets a long fine or is there any animosity to any particular group (Hispanics, Blacks, Asians, Whites, etc.)?
Everybody gets along fine. The area is filled with people of all races and they all seem to get along just fine. I have never seen any sort of racial slurs or animosity at all. It's also economically diverse. You have well dressed white collar people (of all races) and those that probably have a lot less passing through via metro buses and rail, working the service jobs in the area etc (also of all races). The Filmore venue often brings in even more diverse crowds for concerts and what not. I have seen some pretty interesting people waiting in line to get in there. Lots of out of town tourist also stay in the area and metro into DC. Again, it seems pretty harmonious to me. I think it's a pretty cool area myself.

You will have some bums mostly around the metro station begging, but they are harmless and not aggressive beggars. Certainly not as aggressive as they are in some cities (chicago comes to mind) and nothing you wouldn't be used to in NYC.

I have only heard that sometimes groups of youth will congregate in the area some nights, but you have that in any entertainment type area (with movie theaters etc) and I really don't think it's a problem outside of isolated incidents.

Downtown Silver Spring closes off the streets to car traffic quite often by the fountain so it's a very family oriented place. A lot of parents will bring their kids down and let them play in the fountains etc. During the weekday, the area is filled with people walking over from the office towers for lunches.

I would say Downtown Silver Spring is a cross between Downtown Bethesda and Downtown Brooklyn, but Brooklyn is much more gritty and harsh and is obviously more dense and built up. Coming from Brooklyn (I'm assuming), it would be a nice change. You get the good things about Brooklyn wrapped in a smaller package with less hassle and I find the people to be a little warmer as well and it seems safer, but I don't know if it really is (I have not compared stats).

The area is pretty well patrolled by police. They just sit around everywhere just keeping an eye on things. I don't see them do much other than run off bums or give out traffic citations. (don't turn right on red when it says not to).

Another good thing about Silver Spring is they have plenty of parking in county garages and it's free on weekends which is nice if you have visitors etc.

Last edited by kcmo; 07-10-2014 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-10-2014, 01:10 PM

1,309 posts, read 848,325 times
It's diverse and generally safe. No nightlife but the Fillmore theatre has lots of good national acts come in. Not as much fun as NYC but probably the best DC suburb for activity, which doesn't say much. Good restaurants of all types though. For nightlife you'll have to venture into DC because it's very dead after 9 or so.

People of different races get along generally well to answer your question. I'm not sure where you lived in NYC where people were really racist but Montgomery County is probably the most diverse suburban county in America and people are used to people of other colors/cultures.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:35 AM

9,405 posts, read 5,202,941 times
There's a fountain? Where is the fountain?

Old 07-16-2014, 07:15 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,461,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itinérant View Post
The (white) natives consider downtown (Georgia Ave) to be a line of demarcation. That is, if you live downtown or west of Georgia Ave., you are in a good neighborhood (provided that it is south of the Beltway).
This isn't even close to true, just FYI for OP - it's shocking that someone who claims to live in SS would say such a thing. Facts show the exact opposite, if anything. E.g. west of the downtown CBD you can find the cheapest apartment complexes in the area - Falkland Chase and Summit Hills. Alternatively, Woodside Park - the most expensive area of Silver Spring is east of Georgia Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland