U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 09:32 PM

1,440 posts, read 845,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I remember working at a similar store somewhere beneath 15th street, just a few stores off the boardwalk on the right-hand side that sold Doc Martens, leather jackets, band shirts, etc. Does anyone remember the name of that place?
I remember a spot that fits your description (but don't remember if it was on 15th). Right off a boardwalk ramp, and had kind of a sunken feeling, they way it rode lower than the boardwalk.
I used to go in there mid/late 90s.. The shop had long rows of closet rods (running the length of the store) packed w/band logo shirts. I bought Black Flag hoodie & t shirt that I wore the Hell out of.. Seems like he had 'em organized alphabetically, & the shop was jammed with merchandise.. black light posters, clothes etc.

Don't remember the name tho; it was a cool place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 611 times
I partially transplanted to Ocean City in 94 when my dad moved there for retirement. Mom and I moved down in 99 when I was 13. Being the cliche late 90's odd ball, with JNCOs, black nail polish, band shirts, and ear gages (back then), and being mixed to boot, Chat St., Pit Bull, Swirled World, Dimensions, and a handful of small shops on the boards and on side streets downtown were staples in my culturing. There was nothing better than hanging out at Chat St.. The music was always fresh, edgy, and impossible to find. The clothes, patches, stickers, and jewelry were clutch in a world before Hot Topic. The owner (as I knew her) is still probably the most laid back person I've ever met. I'll never forget that 3 story building that took up at least 1.5 square blocks, black with a red roof, graffiti EVERYWHERE.... Turning off 50 East onto N. Baltimore ave, you couldnt miss,

"...CHAT ST. HATED WORLD WIDE..."

The owner had a policy. She wouldnt hire anyone under the age of 18. In a tourist driven economy, that was rare, but she had one of the most happening spots in town, and played by the rules accordingly.. So I bided my time. I became as versed in the counter culture as I could on a 56k modum, and I waited.. In 12/03, I turned 18. At the time, Chat St. was closed for the season, so I sat back. Come 3/04, I drove over the 50 Bridge, ready to go talk to the Owner about immediate part time employment, and full time employment starting after graduation that summer.

There are no words for the loss I felt coming off of that bridge and seeing a giant pile of freshly destroyed building where Chat St used to be.. Pieces of the red roof and black/graffiti'd concrete sticking up out of a 10' tall pile of rubble.

It became, and still is, a parking lot for Tony's Pizza at Division St. and the Boards. Pit Bull became a Sunsations type store. Dimensions, I believe, became a Quiet Storm. I couldnt tell you what happen to Swirled World, other than it's not there anymore.

I dont really think there are words to convey what these places meant to me and to those that I shared times in them with.. Truly, it was the end of an era.

And I'm willing to pay good money for any original stickers/ patches from any of these places. If you're sitting on a stash, please hit me up.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletomcollins View Post
Chat St.. I'm willing to pay good money for any original stickers/ patches from any of these places.. hit me up.
Tom, good post.
Would be cool to see some old Chat St stickers (even if they're not for sale).

I know this doesn't help your search, but I used to buy underground comics from Chat in the late 90s, stuff like Rip Off Press, etc. The mags weren't packed w/Chat decals.. but I still have their plastic (comic book) sleeves w/Chat St. price tags on 'em; closest hard-copy testament I have to anything Chat Street related. /peace

Old 09-26-2017, 09:13 PM

2 posts, read 922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
In the 9os, there were movie theaters @ White Marlin Mall, right before you enter in to the south end of OC.
It was cool if you lived on the south end of town, having a theater close by. I saw (& slept thru) parts of Phantom Menace there circa 1999.. Apparently the movies folded a decade ago, & the space was converted in to a Michael's (arts & crafts).
Seems like there was a music/record shop in that same strip mall; or somewhere right before you crossed the south end bridge in to OC. Anyone remember the CD shop (?)

https://mdcoastdispatch.com/2007/09/...fter-20-years/
Sound Odyssey was the CD shop. I spent a better part of my youth and pay checks there. The own Ralph was like something straight out of a Kevin Smith movie.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:22 PM

2 posts, read 922 times
believe in magic? I think that was the name of it...

Old 10-14-2017, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brostopher View Post
Sound Odyssey was the CD shop. I spent a better part of my youth and pay checks there. The own Ralph was like something straight out of a Kevin Smith movie.
chuckle..

Good memories Brostopher, thanks for posting. Think you're right on Believe In Magic too (as the unnamed head shop right off the boardwalk.)

To remember Sound Odyssey & Believe.. you must've been running around OC in the mid-late 9os, no (?) I used to live in the Driftwood during the late 9os summers.

Incidentally, that Sound Odyssey had videos too, right.. because if it wasn't Odyssey, there was another mom&pop video rental close by.. that had the most unique, random video categories. Not just action, horror, etc. It was categories like chainsaw killers, feuding families, etc.

Old 02-21-2018, 11:58 AM

5 posts, read 6,684 times
Please hit me up if you have any Chat St memorabilia! Thank you!

Old 02-21-2018, 12:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletomcollins View Post
I partially transplanted to Ocean City in 94 when my dad moved there for retirement. Mom and I moved down in 99 when I was 13. Being the cliche late 90's odd ball, with JNCOs, black nail polish, band shirts, and ear gages (back then), and being mixed to boot, Chat St., Pit Bull, Swirled World, Dimensions, and a handful of small shops on the boards and on side streets downtown were staples in my culturing. There was nothing better than hanging out at Chat St.. The music was always fresh, edgy, and impossible to find. The clothes, patches, stickers, and jewelry were clutch in a world before Hot Topic. The owner (as I knew her) is still probably the most laid back person I've ever met. I'll never forget that 3 story building that took up at least 1.5 square blocks, black with a red roof, graffiti EVERYWHERE.... Turning off 50 East onto N. Baltimore ave, you couldnt miss,

"...CHAT ST. HATED WORLD WIDE..."

The owner had a policy. She wouldnt hire anyone under the age of 18. In a tourist driven economy, that was rare, but she had one of the most happening spots in town, and played by the rules accordingly.. So I bided my time. I became as versed in the counter culture as I could on a 56k modum, and I waited.. In 12/03, I turned 18. At the time, Chat St. was closed for the season, so I sat back. Come 3/04, I drove over the 50 Bridge, ready to go talk to the Owner about immediate part time employment, and full time employment starting after graduation that summer.

There are no words for the loss I felt coming off of that bridge and seeing a giant pile of freshly destroyed building where Chat St used to be.. Pieces of the red roof and black/graffiti'd concrete sticking up out of a 10' tall pile of rubble.

It became, and still is, a parking lot for Tony's Pizza at Division St. and the Boards. Pit Bull became a Sunsations type store. Dimensions, I believe, became a Quiet Storm. I couldnt tell you what happen to Swirled World, other than it's not there anymore.

I dont really think there are words to convey what these places meant to me and to those that I shared times in them with.. Truly, it was the end of an era.

And I'm willing to pay good money for any original stickers/ patches from any of these places. If you're sitting on a stash, please hit me up.

I enjoyed your story, thank you for sharing. I miss Chat St dearly!

Old 02-21-2018, 02:17 PM

7 posts, read 2,629 times
Can't talk about '90s OC without talking about The Hurricane night club and the Big Ass Draft cup! Crushing Day on stage playing Fuel and all the other '90s rock radio hits. I met JT Taylor from Kool & the Gang after they had done a show at the Convention Center. That building also got demolished.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapin05 View Post
Can't talk about '90s OC without talking about The Hurricane night club and the Big Ass Draft cup! Crushing Day on stage playing Fuel and all the other '90s rock radio hits.. the Convention Center. That building also got demolished.
Terrapin, good post.. thanks.

I did some temporary work @ the old convention center, it always tripped me out that they had a gigantic concrete traffic ramp up to their 2nd story.
When we were unloading stuff, it felt like driving up the side of a Mayan pyramid.

Semi-local band I remember seeing @ Hurricane was Jimmie's Chicken Shack, circa 1999. Hurricane was up near Fenwick, north Ocean City no ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or