U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2014, 09:33 AM

9,403 posts, read 5,202,941 times

Advertisements

As a lifelong resident of Maryland I have pretty much decided that we'll need to move to a less expensive area in retirement. After searching I just don't want to move, period. I love Maryland So that brings me to the Eastern Shore, specifically Chestertown. I just looked up a few homes for sale and the property taxes were very affordable,

But I"ve been fooled before with PA taxes, so my question is are there local school taxes or whatever in Chestertown or in other areas of the eastern shore? Or are the published property tax figures for real?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 09:41 AM

32,100 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
As a lifelong resident of Maryland I have pretty much decided that we'll need to move to a less expensive area in retirement. After searching I just don't want to move, period. I love Maryland So that brings me to the Eastern Shore, specifically Chestertown. I just looked up a few homes for sale and the property taxes were very affordable,

But I"ve been fooled before with PA taxes, so my question is are there local school taxes or whatever in Chestertown or in other areas of the eastern shore? Or are the published property tax figures for real?

The Chestertown property taxes would be the same setup as you have in Mt. Airy. The County collects their taxes which would include school taxes and if you live in a municipality you'd have an additional Town property tax.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The Chestertown property taxes would be the same setup as you have in Mt. Airy. The County collects their taxes which would include school taxes and if you live in a municipality you'd have an additional Town property tax.

Thanks NB, good to talk to you again. That's certainly good news, I guess i need to learn if there is a town tax in Chestertown

Old 07-28-2014, 12:56 PM

11,090 posts, read 18,613,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I guess i need to learn if there is a town tax in Chestertown
There is a Mayor, town council etc in Chestertown. This budget shows a town mil rate of .37 per hundred. http://www.chestertown.com/gov/pdf/2014Budget.pdf

I love Chestertown also. Good luck on your future plans.

Old 07-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Well bad news guys. There is no cheap golf in Chestertown. The only public course in the area is Queenstown Harbor. Now I love Queenstown Harbor but if I can't afford Mt. Airy taxes in retiremement it's a pretty safe bet I can't afford regular golf at Queenstown.

Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM

687 posts, read 652,638 times
If taxes are the main concern perhaps South Carolina, Tennessee, or Texas would be better options.

Depends what you're bringing in in retirement and how you want to live. If you're getting a lot of income then you don't want a jurisdiction that taxes income a lot, if at all. If you want to own property then you want a jurisdiction that has low or no property taxes.

Living in a municipality within a county and within a state just adds another layer of bureaucracy and therefore more tax burden. A LOT of jurisdictions (states, counties and towns) tax retirees differently than those under 65, but these would have to be researched independently.

Decide what lifestyle you want to live first, then the "where" will come naturally.

Old 07-29-2014, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
If taxes are the main concern perhaps South Carolina, Tennessee, or Texas would be better options.

Depends what you're bringing in in retirement and how you want to live. If you're getting a lot of income then you don't want a jurisdiction that taxes income a lot, if at all. If you want to own property then you want a jurisdiction that has low or no property taxes.

Living in a municipality within a county and within a state just adds another layer of bureaucracy and therefore more tax burden. A LOT of jurisdictions (states, counties and towns) tax retirees differently than those under 65, but these would have to be researched independently.

Decide what lifestyle you want to live first, then the "where" will come naturally.
Thanks mapmd. We have been researching lower cost areas to live for a while now and right now NE Tennessee (Johnson City) and Charles Town WV (to remain close to friends and family) are the 2 leaders. Taxes and COL are the biggest reasons. I like both areas, just don't love either for different reasons. To be honest we love where we live and don't ever want to move. But it's just too expensive

Old 07-29-2014, 05:42 AM

32,100 posts, read 39,155,933 times
Maryland certainly isn't retirement friendly for many.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:57 AM

3,137 posts, read 7,883,967 times
How about Delaware? You can stay on the Eastern Shore but taxes are lower than MD's.

Old 07-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
How about Delaware? You can stay on the Eastern Shore but taxes are lower than MD's.
Mrs. Mount Airy is not for the Eastern Shore, too flat. Chestertown may have been a hard sell, Delaware is probably out of the question. But great suggestion, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or