Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:59 PM

746 posts, read 845,807 times

Advertisements

Haha Tuborg, just quit dude. You're not only losing the battles you're clearly losing this war. No matter what you say, i can find census data facts, that will prove exactly what I said and i can find data that will prove what you said was completely mis-leading. I just took the simple step in going to wiki to gather the information. I could just have easily gone to the census and followed it up with the most recent data.

You are missing the bigger picture. This is still the same whether it's 8 years old or 20 years old. The richiest counties in this country 1-300 are far wealthier than the rest of the counties in this country by leaps and bounds and you know what that gap between the richest counties and the poorest is going to continue to increase. What is your argument?

You have yet to debate me on fact. You made a comment and i proved you wrong. Now you're bringing up things that have nothing to do with the original purpose of the debate.

Facts are the facts buddy so no matter how much you hate the fact that PGC is one of the wealthiest it doesn't change the fact it is. Hell, I hate the fact that young black males living in the inner city between the ages of 14-25 committ a disproportionate number of homcides, but i cannot change the fact. Nor can I attempt to figure out new ways to bash these facts just accept it and move on. Tackle the issues you do not like about the county that are also facts like poor performing schools, high crime inside of the beltway, and a higher percentage of poverty when compared to other counties in the DC-Metro. These are facts try attacking those as opposed to your haterd that even with all of its problems the county is still one of the wealthiest in the country regardless of it's black majority.

Dude, get over it. Let me ask you a final question why does this fact bother you so much? This is the root of our debate and what started teh argument, so please explain why it pains you so much that the county is one of the wealthiest in the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:56 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,032,115 times
It doesn't bother me that PG is labeled wealthy. What I don't accept is that Maryland is truly the wealthiest state in the country. It is so expensive that salaries are inflated. I will acknowledge that any state or local is wealthy when I see the average for their individual citizens balance sheets. Assets minus debts. Rank them and then I will concede. This is all a moot point because of the letters iest.

Is PG wealthy? Sure but what started this in my mind was the overwhelming thread that lasted so long of:

WHY IS PG SO WEALTHY AND SO GHETTO? That thread bothered me and created a sounding board for so much negative about the county. The issue you have is not with me but with the legions being negative on here. To me everything is relative and if it is not the top 2% then its not the top. Average SAT scores are for average children not mine. Top quartile? nope go for the gusto kid top 5% or maybe be less selective where you apply. It is all in our expectations for ourselves and others. You have your threshold and others have theirs. Such is life and it goes on with each reader evaluating based on their perspectives. We really should let others enjoy and use this thread lest we be accused of hijacking it.
Out of here.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:42 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,300,286 times
But yet we say Howard county is wealthy while the county have the highest number of residents in the state of Maryland living under poverty. It the county wealthya s far as assets or is it wealthy as far as income goes because if it was assets I do not think they would have the highest number of residents in poverty. But yet we say pg county is not wealthy while we have one of the lowest level of residents living uder poverty.
AA county also have the second highest number of their residents living in poverty. How can a county be assets wealthy while have the highest number of thier residents living in poverty? In my opinion if th ecounty have the highest number of residents living in poverty then I can not consider that county wealthy because the numbers are off by a lot.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:54 AM

195 posts, read 745,188 times
Does this article help at all? http://finance.yahoo.com/real-estate/article/103432/The-Richest-(and-Poorest)-Places-in-the-U.S (broken link).

Old 12-10-2008, 03:50 PM

1 posts, read 5,935 times
i live in howard county. but find it kind of hard to believe that we are the wealthist county. though i do come from an middle-upper class family. but still it is very hard to believe.

Old 12-31-2008, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 15,314 times
Howard County is to over populated. It never used to be this way. What happens when these people who are building their million dollar homes die..what will their kids have??? a big ole mortgage or pay off amount they can't afford, so in fact they will lose it..nothing left. I don't know I always think of this stuff when it comes to people around this and other areas in Maryland. I would rather have a home that is cheap so I know I can afford it and my kids will have some kind of inheritance. Truth Hurts

I agree. I don't see where all the wealth is in Howard county. I see some people who have a little extra money but that's all. And yes too many people live there, it is boring, I don't find the people friendly, and it is in the boonies. I mean I used to go there for training and it was nothing to write home about. It still seems to me that Arlington and Fairfax are better in terms of Affluency.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:10 AM

1 posts, read 4,999 times
I totally agree with you it surely is boring and the buses of poor condition. I can say a lot about Howard County. The truth is that it is not wealthy anymore as I repeat the economy now is hurting. Professional wealthy people are losing their Career. I saw something on TV like Oprah 2009 this year an they were talking about how people are living in tents and those who are trying to keep their homes so it won't go foreclosure. I saw this Wealthy man who lives in a million dollar home his business has decrease and he is renting rooms in his home right now to keep it from foreclosure.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:40 AM

23 posts, read 85,607 times
A couple of folks who don't see where the wealth is in Howard County need to spend a day driving all around anything west of Rt. 32 (and much of what's near Rt. 32 too). Sure, some folks are in trouble out there but the vast majority will survive (the rich usually do). Like someone earlier mentioned, HoCo doesn't have big pockets of immigrants (except for well-off ones) or run down areas like parts of MontCo so that's why it ranks high. In the 70's, Columbia was the prime area to be, now it would be considered one of the lesser areas compared to the western part, Clarksville, and Ellicott City. Things have changed within the county but overall the county has gotten more wealthy. I don't think this recession will alter the basic characteristics much .. HoCo will remain a very rich county for some time.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:34 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgh21 View Post
A couple of folks who don't see where the wealth is in Howard County need to spend a day driving all around anything west of Rt. 32 (and much of what's near Rt. 32 too). Sure, some folks are in trouble out there but the vast majority will survive (the rich usually do). Like someone earlier mentioned, HoCo doesn't have big pockets of immigrants (except for well-off ones) or run down areas like parts of MontCo so that's why it ranks high. In the 70's, Columbia was the prime area to be, now it would be considered one of the lesser areas compared to the western part, Clarksville, and Ellicott City. Things have changed within the county but overall the county has gotten more wealthy. I don't think this recession will alter the basic characteristics much .. HoCo will remain a very rich county for some time.
True, but developers r having a hard time moving some of those mansions in Clarksville. I saw one back in Feb' that the builder was offering for 1.4 M. The master's (wife) closet probably was 600 sq ft. Needless to say the exact model, three doors down had sold last year for 1.9 M. Now, West Friendship Heights is purdy... I should of bought in there back in 97 when they were going for 500k

BTW, a friend of mine from Howard County pointed this out to me on a recent visit to MC. He said, man you guys sure have a LOT of bus stops in your area - do you have people to support all these buses. And then went on to say that there weren't many buses in HC and everyone drives and owns a car, etc......

Old 08-11-2009, 09:31 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,400,820 times
Are these people that are trying to watering down Howard, Montgomery, and PG Counties as being wealthy and Maryland as being one of the wealthy states are doing this out of Jealous Hatred because their Virginia Counties of Fairfax, Loudon, and Prince William are not ranked in the top 3 Wealtiest Counties anymore??????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland