U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 10:41 AM

165 posts, read 177,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
ok to everybody defending salisbury and disagreeing with my comments. it's cool you guys stick up for your hometown. but the eastern shore and salisbury really is a declined, depressed, middle of nowhere place. i attended the university, and everybody there would agree. however, i'm from north jersey, and I'm used to cities like NYC. All my friends were either from DC or Baltimore areas. So we're used to much larger, more significant metropolitan areas. then we come over to the eastern shore and it's like we've traveled 30 years back in time. so don't blame us for this perception... we just live in CIVILIZATION.
With time and age, those priorities will most likely change. I have lived on the Eastern Shore, but also lived in cities, and my last stop was in the suburbs of Harrisburg. Each had its strengths and weaknesses. I got a rental near the beach and it is limiting but I also see the appeal of living near the beach. It is not for me but at least I tried it out.

Salisbury has its issues but it is better than Harrisburg and some other parts of PA. I would like to live in an area that has good jazz clubs close by but I would not rule an area out because they don't have any. A person needs to live in different areas and see the differences and then decide what is really important to them. I wouldn't live an area just because of its clubs or bars to watch a sunset, so many other factors and yes being around people you are comfortable with is a part of it.

Just wondering, did you not take a look at the city before deciding to attend school here? If you like the big city feel, why did you decode to not attend one the schools in the DC and Baltimore area? You had plenty to choose from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 06:12 AM

478 posts, read 625,638 times
I grew up near Salisbury, in rural Wicomico county. The city proper of Salisbury has a surprisingly high crime rate, although it's pretty easy to avoid the areas in question. The immediate area isn't where I would recommend an outsider consider moving if they wanted to come to Delmarva.

Do you want a rural lifestyle? I think this is where Delmarva is at its best, if you really love fishing, particularly saltwater fishing, or boating and want to be near a place you can do it pretty much year round. Do you enjoy hunting? Do you want to farm/garden/raise horses? If these are high on your priority list, and you don't highly prioritize city amenities, career advancement, or local school quality then Delmarva is a pretty good fit.

If you're going to move to Delmarva as an outsider, I'd recommend first checking out either the area around Talbot/Queen Anne's county MD, or perhaps eastern Sussex county DE near Lewes/Rehoboth. These areas both offer at least some jobs/opportunity, almost as much as you'd find in Salisbury, and are more accessible to the good stuff the area has to offer (bay and ocean respectively, as well as quicker access to the cities if you need an urban fix). They also have less crime.

To give Salisbury its due, the University helps bring cultural events to town that it wouldn't otherwise attract. There are some nice suburban type neighborhoods in the area where you'll pay much less for comparable housing than you would near the cities. You're pretty much the same distance from the Bay and the Ocean, and can visit either easily on a day trip. COL is low. Generally speaking, it's a laid back town where you're not likely to encounter much snobbery, and people won't look at you oddly if you take Friday afternoon off to go fishing. The town has the basics you need concerning groceries, clothing shopping, healthcare, accounting and legal services, etc.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:24 AM

32,540 posts, read 39,907,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktaadin View Post
I grew up near Salisbury, in rural Wicomico county. The city proper of Salisbury has a surprisingly high crime rate, although it's pretty easy to avoid the areas in question. The immediate area isn't where I would recommend an outsider consider moving if they wanted to come to Delmarva.

Do you want a rural lifestyle? I think this is where Delmarva is at its best, if you really love fishing, particularly saltwater fishing, or boating and want to be near a place you can do it pretty much year round. Do you enjoy hunting? Do you want to farm/garden/raise horses? If these are high on your priority list, and you don't highly prioritize city amenities, career advancement, or local school quality then Delmarva is a pretty good fit.

If you're going to move to Delmarva as an outsider, I'd recommend first checking out either the area around Talbot/Queen Anne's county MD, or perhaps eastern Sussex county DE near Lewes/Rehoboth. These areas both offer at least some jobs/opportunity, almost as much as you'd find in Salisbury, and are more accessible to the good stuff the area has to offer (bay and ocean respectively, as well as quicker access to the cities if you need an urban fix). They also have less crime.

To give Salisbury its due, the University helps bring cultural events to town that it wouldn't otherwise attract. There are some nice suburban type neighborhoods in the area where you'll pay much less for comparable housing than you would near the cities. You're pretty much the same distance from the Bay and the Ocean, and can visit either easily on a day trip. COL is low. Generally speaking, it's a laid back town where you're not likely to encounter much snobbery, and people won't look at you oddly if you take Friday afternoon off to go fishing. The town has the basics you need concerning groceries, clothing shopping, healthcare, accounting and legal services, etc.
You somewhat touched on the problem. People come to rural areas from more urbanized/suburbanized areas and don't know what to expect. Many have a Norman Rockwell vision of smaller towns and rural areas.

They don't understand why there are really one type of restaurant, the demographics, either population or income or both, won't support more. People here in SOMD complain all the time about chains but won't patronize local owner businesses.

Some will open businesses with products or services no one in the area wants, needs or sometimes can even afford.

There aren't more stores, or the selection of stores, in rural areas because, once again, the demographics won't support them.

People moving in don't understand that activities like hunting are almost genetic and don't realize that guy over there with a shotgun in his truck (or car) doesn't mean you harm but is on his way to hunt (or coming back).

They don't understand that old guys having coffee at the gas station is normal. They're not vagrants or homeless. They're retirees who gather there to drink coffee and shoot the breeze. They, or their fathers, have been doing the same for decades.

Farming can be dusty and smelly work. That's how the owners make their living and get no pleasure having to take their equipment on to the roads but sometimes it has to be done.

By the Bay, there's reason the watermen's boats are called work boats. It's because they're not pleasure craft but a tool needed for work. The waterman will take care of his boat but they're really not known for beauty (which is in the eye of the beholder in any event).

Old 02-24-2015, 10:27 PM

386 posts, read 535,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You somewhat touched on the problem. People come to rural areas from more urbanized/suburbanized areas and don't know what to expect. Many have a Norman Rockwell vision of smaller towns and rural areas.

They don't understand why there are really one type of restaurant, the demographics, either population or income or both, won't support more. People here in SOMD complain all the time about chains but won't patronize local owner businesses.

Some will open businesses with products or services no one in the area wants, needs or sometimes can even afford.

There aren't more stores, or the selection of stores, in rural areas because, once again, the demographics won't support them.

People moving in don't understand that activities like hunting are almost genetic and don't realize that guy over there with a shotgun in his truck (or car) doesn't mean you harm but is on his way to hunt (or coming back).

They don't understand that old guys having coffee at the gas station is normal. They're not vagrants or homeless. They're retirees who gather there to drink coffee and shoot the breeze. They, or their fathers, have been doing the same for decades.

Farming can be dusty and smelly work. That's how the owners make their living and get no pleasure having to take their equipment on to the roads but sometimes it has to be done.

By the Bay, there's reason the watermen's boats are called work boats. It's because they're not pleasure craft but a tool needed for work. The waterman will take care of his boat but they're really not known for beauty (which is in the eye of the beholder in any event).
They also complain about the smell of farms and try to make the "bad smells go away". Dont like quiet? Stay in a city. Dont like the smell of a farm? Stay in a city. Dont like slow pace of life? stay in a city. Yuppies never get the hint and instead would rather come to the country and try to change it to their liking rather then immerse themselves. If country folk wanted to change from what we are we'd have done it already.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:11 AM

165 posts, read 177,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
They also complain about the smell of farms and try to make the "bad smells go away". Dont like quiet? Stay in a city. Dont like the smell of a farm? Stay in a city. Dont like slow pace of life? stay in a city. Yuppies never get the hint and instead would rather come to the country and try to change it to their liking rather then immerse themselves. If country folk wanted to change from what we are we'd have done it already.
Unfortunately, this has happened in other areas on the shore. It is sad, really sad.

Old 02-25-2015, 09:43 AM

32,540 posts, read 39,907,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahodor View Post
Unfortunately, this has happened in other areas on the shore. It is sad, really sad.

Over on this side of the Bay, too. Usually the conversation begins like, "We just love this little Town. But here's what has to change to keep us happy. We pay big taxes and want certain things."

The newest demand is a year round indoor Farmer's Market. I ask what, exactly, will the local farmers have to sell December-April/May and I just get a kind of stupid look in response with spluttering.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 AM

386 posts, read 535,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Over on this side of the Bay, too. Usually the conversation begins like, "We just love this little Town. But here's what has to change to keep us happy. We pay big taxes and want certain things."

The newest demand is a year round indoor Farmer's Market. I ask what, exactly, will the local farmers have to sell December-April/May and I just get a kind of stupid look in response with spluttering.
I have heard this all too often. At least in howard county folks are starting to stand up to these yuppies but I fear its a losing battle.

Old 03-21-2015, 06:57 AM

15 posts, read 12,726 times
Would love to hear some feedback on schools. Bennett or Parkside? I've heard good things about both, but want to hear from someone who actually attended or has children attending. Thanks!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:46 AM

683 posts, read 832,753 times
i lived in salisbury for five years, from 2001 to 2006, and left, with regret, for some complicated reasons. i'm thinking of trying to return, as a retired person, so my situation is different than someone working with a family. i don't know much about schools, except that when i lived there, bennett was considered the better high school. i know someone very casually who has taught at bennett for many years, and still feels that the education there is pretty solid. Worcester county schools ( berlin, ocean city ocean pines ), however, have traditionally had better public school ratings.

i always found salisbury to be friendly, low-key, with a number of opportunities for outdoor activities. much of the "cultural" life is supplied by the university, with many low cost events. there are mixed feelings about the college presence, but i always felt it was a positive. i lived near the college but not close enough so that i had students renting houses in my neighborhood . i don't know about the farm smells as an issue; it never was for me where i lived and i never heard it discussed as a problem.

there always was, for me, a sense of ease in living in salisbury. some of that might be its nearness to the ocean and resorts. but, once you're off of rts 50 and 13, there are some lovely neighborhoods, still many not excessively expensive;and it does not take long to get out into the fields and near the water.

there is a southern feel to the town, which i liked , but may not be everyone's cup of tea . i know that salisbury has changed in the years i've been away, as have i. i don't know if it would still be good fit, but i'd like the chance to find out.

casty girl

Old 03-21-2015, 10:25 AM

778 posts, read 640,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelers_Gurl View Post
Would love to hear some feedback on schools. Bennett or Parkside? I've heard good things about both, but want to hear from someone who actually attended or has children attending. Thanks!
Parkside is a slightly better school but Bennett is far more diverse and encompasses ritzy neighborhoods across the river, established urban neighborhoods, and low income areas nearby. If you want to live in the area and you care a lot about schools, consider hopping over to Worcester County for Stephen Decatur High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or