Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 AM

5 posts, read 5,100 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm from a developing country and will go to the US to study. I've never been abroad but find myself interested in Maryland through some information from webs and acquaintances. Can you recommend any good Special Ed School in Maryland for my autistic son?
(Or you may recommend any link with Special Ed ranking. Then I'd go to study in any place with the best Special Ed. My son is top priority)
Thanks a million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2014, 11:18 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longstocking.pippi View Post
Can you recommend any good Special Ed School in Maryland for my autistic son?
The Kennedy Kreiger Institute of the Baltimore area has excellent programs, but it is not free. Check their web site: Kennedy Krieger Institute |

Otherwise, the public schools are required to accommodate all students with learning disabilities. For example, Montgomery County details its programs here: Special Education - Identification and Evaluation Process - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD

I think you ought to first identify a college for yourself, locate a place to live, then inquire what the public schools have to offer your 5-year old. I am assuming you would be entering the USA on a student visa.

The school system will have to evaluate your son and determine whether he can be mainstreamed into an ordinary classroom, or whether he needs separate schooling. Montgomery County has 5 separate schools for the students who cannot be mainstreamed.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:58 AM

Thanks for your valuable information. Yes. I'm an international student.

Old 08-08-2014, 04:31 PM

132 posts, read 325,019 times
Most public schools that I've taught at have a class called "Functional Life Skills," (I once taught that class before at a high school in California). The school I will be teaching at in Anne Arundel County (South River High) also has that class. It is a very good program for students with intellectual disabilities who need the extra support. I think its required for all public schools in Maryland to have this class. (At least I know all the Anne Arundel schools have an FLS class.) It also depends on if your son needs to be in a FLS class, or just a co taught class or if he just needs IEP/504 Plan goals. Also keep in mind, that in Maryland, if your son is in Functional Life Skills, he will probably have to graduate when he is 21. The schools do this to prepare them well for college or whatever it is the child wants to do post high school wise. It depends on how severe his disability is. I also believe each county in Maryland has a few special education public schools, which I also hear good things about. I know in Anne Arundel County, we have the Marley Glen School, Central Special, and a few others.

Old 08-08-2014, 10:16 PM

117 posts, read 270,521 times
There are 2 excellent private schools in Annapolis that specialize in teaching children with special needs. Google Harbour School and Summit School. The staffs are knowledgeable and caring.

Old 08-09-2014, 09:49 AM

Hi everyone. Thanks for your replies. My son's situation is not serious, say, mild autism. He has received special education from a group of American consultants in my country since he was 2,5 years. Now he can talk (not very smoothly but long sentences), write and do some maths...His awareness is good. I think he needs more intervention on communication skills, i.e interaction.

By the way, can anyone confirm that public schools are free from tuition and books for everyone living in the US? Thanks.

Old 08-09-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
By the way, can anyone confirm that public schools are free from tuition and books for everyone living in the US? Thanks.
Obviously none of us are lawyers with immigration experience or knowledge your specific visa. I am only familiar with Montgomery County and their web site mentions tuition in some circumstances. Obviously the taxpayers of Maryland cannot support every international student wanting free education for special needs children.

If you are interested in Montgomery County, please consult the office of School Counseling, Residency and International Admissions at (301) 230-0686 or see the web site: Student Services - SCRIA - Montgomery County Public Schools, Rockville, MD

Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Obviously none of us are lawyers with immigration experience or knowledge your specific visa. I am only familiar with Montgomery County and their web site mentions tuition in some circumstances. Obviously the taxpayers of Maryland cannot support every international student wanting free education for special needs children.
What abt regular education? (in case he is decided to go to regular class. )

Old 08-09-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
What abt regular education? (in case he is decided to go to regular class. )
I don't know. I am not an immigration lawyer. Perhaps the US Embassy or Consulate in your country can help.

There is also a policy which states that one must have bona-fide residence, and that "bona-fide residence...does not include a residence established for convenience or for the purpose of free school attendance in MCPS." It is decided on a case-by-case basis but the burden of proof is on you. Here is the document, but please consult a lawyer or the Consulate if you have questions:

https://www.montgomeryschoolsmd.org/...cy/pdf/jed.pdf

I believe that you must be enrolled in a college with a student visa, and with a permanent address (such as an apartment lease) before you can claim bona-fide residence. It does not matter if your child needs special education. If you are judged not to be a bona-fide resident, you may be subject to tuition. However, I am not a lawyer, and cannot guarantee anything.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-09-2014 at 11:17 AM..

Old 08-10-2014, 02:51 AM

Thanks for your information. It's very useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland