Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 29,679 times

Advertisements

I was born in NJ (don't tease! I escaped! ) and moved to Frederick MD as a kid. I grew up in Frederick and hated it with every fiber of my being. Then it was this bumpkin redneck place. Now it's VERY different. Like a different country even!

I moved to Baltimore for a few years (ok, 7 years). Baltimore is a very interesting place. I don't think there is any other place anywhere that's quite like it. That is good and bad. However, a few years of being afraid to go outside(we didn't exactly live in a fabulous area) to our yards, we had to move.

Now we live in Cumberland. Like most people have said, it does feel like a different state. I feel a little silly because I hated Frederick as a kid for being bumpkin and redneck. Now I live in a city that is VERY similar to what Frederick was!

My husband still commutes to Baltimore from Cumberland. Yes he is crazy.

As for leaving, I don't know. DC is where the jobs are. The metro area (and these days that extends as far west as Hagerstown and as far east as Kent Island...maybe more) is where all my family is. I don't see myself leaving. While I'm not overjoyed with my state, is there any perfect state?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,349 times
Thumbs up from the shore...

I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Anyone who has ever gone to OC or the DE beaches has most likley rode through my town. I was born at Easton Hospital, went to school at Colonel Richardson Jr and Sr high..married and have lived within a 25 mile radious of Easton my entire 52 years of life. Now that hubby and I are getting to retirement age, I think we will move to Florida, get fat on Orange Juice and suntanned by the pool..LOL

Old 01-06-2008, 11:06 PM

13 posts, read 105,149 times
Default True Maryland Native--Informal Poll

My parents were both born in D.C.- that's probably more rare! Anyway, I too was born in D.C. but raised in Montgomery County.

I will be relocating to Texas in the near future and I am thoroughly depressed about this. All of my family is in D.C., MD, or VA...we just don't find it necessary to leave, I will be the first. How am I going to live without crabs?

Old 01-07-2008, 08:13 AM

27 posts, read 185,033 times
Default South Baltimore born

Born at South Baltimore General and grew up in Brooklyn/Brooklyn Park.

Went to high school in Parkville in Baltimore County.

Married a Parkville girl and brought her back to Brooklyn, but now we're trying to move out to Cumberland - all we need is a job!

Old 01-07-2008, 09:12 PM

425 posts, read 665,323 times
I was born at Kimbrough Army Hospital on Fort Meade when they used to deliver babies...

Grew up in Bladensburg - lived in the apartments across from Capitol Plaza and went to school at Rogers Heights Elementary

Just before Junior High, my family bought a house in Laurel and I went to Macarthur Junior and then Arundel High

I went to college at Penn State and then after 10 years of living overseas, I relocated back to Laurel and that is where I am now and have no plans on leaving

Old 01-08-2008, 12:05 PM

24 posts, read 106,565 times
I have been in Maryland for 20 years. Southern Maryland for 13 years of my life and Montgomery County for the next 7 years .. This is a great area (Central MD). Southern MD lacks diversity. It is very White/Black, and has always been... though has been changing over the recent years. If you do not like religious, cultural, and racial diversity in Montgomery County or Prince Georges County for that matter, then this is not for you. From some of the posts that I have been reading, it seems many people like living in small towns with people that look like themselves, which is great for them. You can find that in MD as well... just go an hour outside of DC and 30 mins Northeast or Northwest outside of Baltimore. I have been itching for a change to NY/NJ Area. I love the city- so at some point, I will most likely move 3-4 hrs northeast of here.

Old 01-08-2008, 08:22 PM

25 posts, read 165,909 times
Grew up in Annapolis, stayed in Annapolis, will probably die in Annapolis.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:39 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
For a city it's size, I am surprised by the amount of crime occuring in Annapolis. A friend of mine was just robbed on the street there last week and another friend who lives outside DC had his car stolen there. What is up with that???? Sorry I got off target but reading the posts led me to that thought. I am now a Maryland native at this point having been here 25 years.

Old 01-09-2008, 04:25 AM

18 posts, read 80,867 times
I was born in St. Mary's County in the late 1970's. Family has been in St. Mary's for 300 years. Moved to College Park to attend University of MD in 1997. Moved to Charleston, SC for one year in 1999 after graduating from college. Realized that MD wasnt so bad of a place to live and moved to Annapolis in 2000. Still in Annapolis and trying to buy a place on Kent Island.

The crime in Annapolis has gotten worse in the past year or so. In May, I saw someone shoot themselves in the foot after firing off shots randomly in downtown Annapolis. A friend was mugged and beaten badly around midnight in a 7-11 parking lot in Bay Ridge. I realized in the past few months that it's time to get out of Annapolis.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:58 PM

382 posts, read 954,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by palynew View Post
My parents were both born in D.C.- that's probably more rare! Anyway, I too was born in D.C. but raised in Montgomery County.

I will be relocating to Texas in the near future and I am thoroughly depressed about this. All of my family is in D.C., MD, or VA...we just don't find it necessary to leave, I will be the first. How am I going to live without crabs?
Its not easy to live without crabs down here. I have to get back to MD every once in a while to get a fix. I've been in Texas for 14 years and would never consider living in MD again. North Texas is a great place to live! Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland