U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2014, 04:08 PM

49 posts, read 112,001 times

Advertisements

We are thinking of moving to the Annapolis area next summer. My DH will be working at an office out of DC but will be traveling 80% of the time and will only need to go into DC 2 Fridays a month (can work from home the other 2 Fridays). So, we don't really need to be close-in to DC. It is more important to be reasonably close to a major airport. My DH went to USNA so we are somewhat familiar with the area and like it a lot, we prefer the smaller town feel of the area and it seems to have great schools (not within Annapolis proper). We think it would be so fun to go to the Academy sporting events with the family.
We have family in the DC area (Bethesda) but for the $$ it just seems ridiculous for us to spend that much when DH will not really be working IN DC. I'm a SAHM. Our kids will be entering pre-k, 3rd, and 5th when we move. From my preliminary research, looking at Cape St Claire, Arnold, Severna Park areas. Hoping to stay right around $500K for a 4 bedroom. I would LOVE any insight into this area! Also we are Jewish, I know the population there is small, but if you know anything about that or have any generalized comments regarding that, bonus points!
Thanks so much.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 07:43 PM

132 posts, read 227,654 times
The Annapolis area is cool. The BWI airport is not too far from the Annapolis area as well. The schools are fine, but if you're looking for the Annapolis area's top notch schools, I suggest looking in the Severna Park, Arundel, Broadneck, and South River school districts. Depending on your budget, Severna Park can be very pricey. The Broadneck, Arundel, and South River districts are also kind of pricey, but way more affordable than Severna Park, which is why my husband chose the Broadneck school district. We just moved here a couple of months ago. We were originally going to move into the Arundel district, but we only found one affordable house that had what we needed and it ended up getting sold. The closest area to DC in the Annapolis suburbs is probably Crofton and Gambrills. Davidsonville is also very close and just south of Annapolis. The schools in those areas are Arundel and South River, which are known to be some of the areas best. Also, the area is very kind and accepting. You should have no problem with your religion here . I live in Capetowne, which is in Arnold and pretty much right outside of Cape St. Claire. Cape St. Claire is a nice area, and its also a waterfront neighborhood, so you might like that too. And whenever you want to visit your family in Bethesda, the commute isn't that bad. Its like a 40-45 minute commute from most of the Annapolis area. Good luck with your house search, and if you have any housing questions, feel free to ask. I also went through it recently and can help you.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:25 PM

49 posts, read 112,001 times
Thank you! We aren't going to be looking to make the purchase until after the new year as we won't be leaving our current area until end of June next year. I'm a planner..... and I want to zero in on some areas to seriously research now. I am very interested in Cape St. Claire and adjacent Arnold. I like the laid-back atmosphere they seem to have vs. SP.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:44 PM

10,705 posts, read 18,520,931 times
Cape St. Claire is nice, but very suburban and quiet and a bit of a drive to a lot of basic stores etc. So if you want a very laid back quiet area that's still relatively close to everything, but not too close, that's a very nice area and so much more affordable than areas like Bethesda.

BWI is awesome and only about 30 minutes from there.

Old 08-10-2014, 09:26 PM

132 posts, read 227,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbahopeful View Post
Thank you! We aren't going to be looking to make the purchase until after the new year as we won't be leaving our current area until end of June next year. I'm a planner..... and I want to zero in on some areas to seriously research now. I am very interested in Cape St. Claire and adjacent Arnold. I like the laid-back atmosphere they seem to have vs. SP.
I really like it here too. Its very close to the water and Downtown Annapolis. Severna Park is a really nice area, but there are many other nice areas around with less expensive homes and as many amenities. When we first moved here, my daughter finished off middle school at Magothy River, I also have younger children at Broadneck Elementary School. My kids liked both schools. My daughter will be starting at Broadneck High (which is in Cape) this year, and I've heard really good things about it. I'll keep you updated. If you like the Arnold area, you might like the Edgewater/Riva area too. Its basically the same thing and closer to DC with one of the top notch schools (South River). Crownsville is also a nice area, but I have no clue where they go to school. I'm guessing either Annapolis or Arundel maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or