U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 10:21 AM

65 posts, read 63,005 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 10:54 AM

4,562 posts, read 7,621,816 times
Not anytime soon. The sport overexpanded in the last decade and can't even sell out at the Brickyard these days. With Richmond and Dover within driving distance, I don't see a track in the D.C. area being on the "to-do" list.

Old 08-31-2014, 11:10 AM

11,090 posts, read 18,624,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVboy View Post
Thoughts?
No. The noise level would be intolerable, and it could never get a permit to operate. I also agree that the fan base is not there.

Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM

65 posts, read 63,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
No. The noise level would be intolerable, and it could never get a permit to operate. I also agree that the fan base is not there.
Well, I know you have a sizable fanbase for NASCAR in suburban Maryland and NOVA (I know quite a few personally in those areas). Anyway I had asked because I remember my pops telling me about the old nascar track that use to be in Beltsville years ago (I think it got demolished in the 1970s). That's why I threw the question out there.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:06 PM

32,112 posts, read 39,184,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
What if you put slots at the track?

Old 08-31-2014, 02:40 PM

2,051 posts, read 4,844,846 times
NASCAR said NO! back in 1998 when the Middle River Racing Association was proposing to build a track in Anne Arundel County. I wouldn't imagine that their opinion has changed any since then.

NASCAR contradicts developers seeking Arundel track Asserts region is serviced by several other speedways - Baltimore Sun

Old 08-31-2014, 04:58 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,026,111 times
Some Tempers Revved Up Over D.C. Auto Race (washingtonpost.com)

Back in around 2002 there was a Grand Prix race, but that was the first and last year. The noise was too much for the surrounding neighborhood. It was held at RFK stadium.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:12 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,724,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMVboy View Post
Well, I know you have a sizable fanbase for NASCAR in suburban Maryland and NOVA (I know quite a few personally in those areas). Anyway I had asked because I remember my pops telling me about the old nascar track that use to be in Beltsville years ago (I think it got demolished in the 1970s). That's why I threw the question out there.
Beltsville Speedway. I grew up in PG county in the 70's and my dad used to take me and my brother there fairly often. Friday nights if I remember right but I was young then. He actually tied me to the bleachers so I wouldn't fall through.

I can just sit back and feel the thunder and rattle of those engines and smell the gas. Much simpler times. It was a different area in those years.

Thanks for bringing that up and sending me on a quick stroll through memory lane.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:50 AM

4,937 posts, read 4,644,389 times
In the late '70's, my boss was on the pit crew for a car that was a top contender at Beltsville (Ginn's Office supplies). On Fridays he'd trailer the car to work, then leave a little early to get to the track. After work, I'd ride to the track with a co-worker and we'd watch the races. My friend was in a wheel chair, and the first time we went there, we parked in the regular parking lot, paid for our tickets, and went in. The guy taking the tickets told us that next time, we should just pull up at the fence gate and the track staff would let us park inside the fence. We did that the rest of the times we went there, and they never charged us for admission, either. There was a great place for his wheelchair in the stands, and a vendor selling bottles of Stroh's beer just a few steps away at the bottom of the ramp.

My understanding of the track's demise is that people who bought houses in nearby developments, knowing full well that there was a race track not far away, complained about the noise. The track fought them, until there were so many houses being built around the area that the land became much more valuable for housing than for a race track, so the owners finally just closed the track and sold the land.

I'd be glad to hear from someone who knows more about that.

As far as getting a new NASCAR track in the area, I'd think that the population is high enough to consider it, but I just don't think that there are quite enough NASCAR fans within that population to make it a success. I sure wouldn't mind being wrong, though.

Old 09-07-2014, 02:32 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,950,866 times
Maybe, I don't see why not. Having a NASCAR track located in Dover doesn't really effect the Washington DC area. Dover, DE is part of the Philadelphia sports market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland