U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 08:31 AM

8 posts, read 11,888 times

Advertisements

Sorry if this topic has already been posted! I've only seen threads that semi-answer my question -

My husband and I currently live in DC, but we both prefer the rural setting and small town vibe of the Frederick, MD area. We're looking to buy a house in the next few months and have found a few properties around Mount Airy that are just what we're looking for....BUT we're worried about the commute since my husband works in downtown DC.

Does anyone here make this commute regularly? What does it look like if you take the MARC or metro? IF he were to drive and leave by 6am each morning, could he realistically get downtown within an hour and a half or so? He has a pretty high tolerance for commuting, but if it verges on the 2 hour/each way mark I'm worried we may never see each other!

Thanks in advance for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:49 PM

3,402 posts, read 928,359 times
The commute is definitely the key issue here. To go from Mt. Airy to DC would take slightly more than 1 hour without factoring in traffic. When you do though, during rush hour it would almost certainly take 1.5 - 2+ hours, depending where at in DC he works.

It would likely be longer if you had to transfer onto either of the rail systems. Mt. Airy is far from any MARC stop, and the nearest DC metro stop is the station at Glenmont.

If you DO Have to commute from Mt. Airy, you would definitely want to stay off the beltway and 270 if possible. 270 is known for becoming a parking lot during rush hour.

I hope that helps clarify the commute issue. If you have any other questions about it or the area itself, feel free to ask!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Have you considered western Howard County at all? Glenelg for example is a great rural-ish area. I personally love the Mt. Airy area but the commute just seems crazy making.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:22 PM

2,662 posts, read 2,769,813 times
You might also consider Frederick County near the MARC line. Point of Rocks and Brunswick are the stations as well as the two in Frederick.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:18 AM

9,404 posts, read 5,202,941 times
The one thing you have going for you is the 6 AM departure. I don't make the drive often but sometimes I find myself downtown DC late in the day and the drive home is pretty brutal, easily an hour and a half of stop and go. I would take a test drive to find out.

The train would be the obvious way to go but I'd check that schedule too. It's about 45 minutes to the Gaithersburg stop, then another 20 minutes or so to Union Station, then of course you need to get to work from there.

I can't say enough good things about living in Mount Airy but I'd be lying if I told you the commute would be easy.

Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Thanks everyone for the input!

That's actually a good/interesting suggestion re: looking farther away from DC but closer to the MARC station. My husband works right by Union Station, so it sounds like MARC could be a good solution. I guess I've looked for housing mostly around Mt.Airy since I spent a lot of time in the area when I was younger and am familiar with the area (grew up in MoCo but boarded horses in Mt.Airy/Urbana). I'm not sure what will drive us more crazy - having to deal with a long commute or having to live much longer in the district!

CJMeck and MidValleyDad - how does the vibe around Brunswick/Point of Rocks compare? I'll do a little research on my own, but if you're familiar with both areas it would be interesting to hear how they are similar/different : )

Thanks again!

Old 09-03-2014, 07:44 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,593,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh396 View Post
CJMeck and MidValleyDad - how does the vibe around Brunswick/Point of Rocks compare? I'll do a little research on my own, but if you're familiar with both areas it would be interesting to hear how they are similar/different : )

Thanks again!
I am not familiar enough with that area to speak on it, honestly. If you tell us what your must haves are (acreage, budget, ect) we could throw out some suggestions though.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:26 AM

9,404 posts, read 5,202,941 times
My best friend lived in Point of Rocks. It's beautiful but not for me. Literally nothing there, if you want to go to eat or just get Chinese carryout it's got to be a 40 minute round trip easily. I don't believe there is even a grocery store. Brunswick is building a lot of new, big, homes and for the life of me I can't understand why. Again it's a great area but the town is rundown and there is a lot of, forgive me, white trash. This is true all along the Upper Potomac. But again that is the downtown area and it's improving. Certainly worth more of a look than Point of Rocks IMO

There are a lot of other options. Where are the Marc Train stations again? Brunswick and Frederick in addition to Gaithersburg? Got to be something in between right? New Market is an option too, very similar to Mt Airy and closer to Frederick. Then there is the area near Harpers Ferry. That town is nothing short of awesome and there is a train station there, the first one out from Brunswick. Housing may be tight but worth a look, as is neighboring Charles Town.

Old 09-04-2014, 06:52 AM

2,662 posts, read 2,769,813 times
There are options between Frederick and PoR for someone wanting a 'rural' lot. Jefferson, Ballanger, Adamstown are a few. There are some stops for MARC between PoR and Gaithersburg. Dickerson is one, I don't know the others.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 PM

Thanks again everyone! Again, all of this is very helpful : )

I think that's great feedback about Point of Rocks. We aren't too demanding on amenities, but would definitely like a grocery store and other basics reasonably close!

CJMeck + others - in case it helps, we are ideally looking for something 1) around the ~$450,000 - $500,000 price point 2) at least an acre, but 2++ would be ideal 3) SOME close-ish amenities (nothing too fancy but a grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, and a restaurant or two will do) 4) most of the houses we've found and loved around Mt. Airy are fixer-upper farmettes, so extra brownie points to any area with these types of properties - we aren't big fans of the mega mansion construction 5) anything in the realm of commuter distance to DC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland