U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
 
Location: Hiding from Antifa?
5,823 posts, read 3,766,928 times
Reputation: 4980

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Quote:
Jennifer Duffy, a political analyst who tracks governors' races for the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, reclassified Maryland's contest this month from one that's "likely" to have a Democratic victor to a state that's merely leaning Democratic. Now Duffy says she'll need to consider whether to declare the race a "tossup."

She said a recent television ad by the Republican Governors Association captures what has catapulted Hogan into what many now see as a competitive race. The spot highlights taxes and fees raised during Gov. Martin O'Malley's administration, then labels Brown, the lieutenant governor, "the second string for O'Malley's third high-tax term."

"A lot of voters view this as another term for O'Malley, but they're not ready for a third O'Malley term," Duffy said.
I hope someone remembers to use this ad, or something very similar, across the US in 2016. It works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2014, 11:48 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
6,530 posts, read 11,616,970 times
Reputation: 3946
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
For the first time in my life I am strongly considering voting Republican. I feel very strongly about liberal social issues but the tax and spend pattern in our state is getting out of control.
So you support the illegal alien Dream Act and Brown's proposed taxpayer funded loans that only illegals qualify for? What about making the ridiculous $10.10 minimum wage a statewide thing, even in rural counties like Dorchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2014, 03:17 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,146,946 times
Reputation: 9377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So you support the illegal alien Dream Act and Brown's proposed taxpayer funded loans that only illegals qualify for? What about making the ridiculous $10.10 minimum wage a statewide thing, even in rural counties like Dorchester?
Excellent questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 09:02 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Reputation: 2165
I'm only interesting in one issue and that is the future of the Purple Line which directly affects my community. Brown supports it, Hogan doesn't. I'll be voting for Brown. Sorry, other issues aren't that important to me this election. Therefore, I think Brown is the right choice on that alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 09:34 AM
 
12,639 posts, read 6,948,242 times
Reputation: 7447
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'm only interesting in one issue and that is the future of the Purple Line which directly affects my community. Brown supports it, Hogan doesn't. I'll be voting for Brown. Sorry, other issues aren't that important to me this election. Therefore, I think Brown is the right choice on that alone.
Let me get this straight. You don't care about 1000s of business and taxpayers abandoning the state, so long as you get your pet transportation project.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on large segments of the Maryland electorate.

P.S. The $200M your candidate flushed down the toilet on a failed website would have been a nice start for funding the Purple Line. But I guess competence doesn't figure into your decision either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Let me get this straight. You don't care about 1000s of business and taxpayers abandoning the state, so long as you get your pet transportation project.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on large segments of the Maryland electorate.

P.S. The $200M your candidate flushed down the toilet on a failed website would have been a nice start for funding the Purple Line. But I guess competence doesn't figure into your decision either.
Let me get this straight. You are surprised that there are voters who vote on single issues?

Why wouldn't an issue that affects me personally be more important than issues that have less affect on me? If the the democrats were going to remove my home due to some road expansion and the republicans weren't, who do you think I'd vote for then regardless of taxes, a stupid website, or any other issue?

Voters vote on the issues they feel are important to them whether it is ONE issue or many. Mine happens to be a single issue. Yes, nothing else matters. If Hogan was supportive of the Purple Line, then my options open up and then I would take the other issues into account. But he isn't in support of the Purple Line, so I have no other choice in the matter. Voters have been voting that way for centuries. There's not one thing wrong with that. At least I'm voting, and voting for a valid reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 10:58 AM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,146,946 times
Reputation: 9377
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Let me get this straight. You are surprised that there are voters who vote on single issues?

Why wouldn't an issue that affects me personally be more important than issues that have less affect on me? If the the democrats were going to remove my home due to some road expansion and the republicans weren't, who do you think I'd vote for then regardless of taxes, a stupid website, or any other issue?

Voters vote on the issues they feel are important to them whether it is ONE issue or many. Mine happens to be a single issue. Yes, nothing else matters. If Hogan was supportive of the Purple Line, then my options open up and then I would take the other issues into account. But he isn't in support of the Purple Line, so I have no other choice in the matter. Voters have been voting that way for centuries. There's not one thing wrong with that. At least I'm voting, and voting for a valid reason.
Do you realize the Intercounty Connector took 40 years from conception to ribbon cutting? Do you know how ridiculous "single issue voters" such as yourself look when consideration is given to the timing and politics involved in a multi-billion dollar transportation project? Why don't you say "I'm voting for Brown because I want a high speed rail from California to DC!" Such a statement would have as much logic behind it.

Apathy in Maryland is downright disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 11:45 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Do you realize the Intercounty Connector took 40 years from conception to ribbon cutting? Do you know how ridiculous "single issue voters" such as yourself look when consideration is given to the timing and politics involved in a multi-billion dollar transportation project? Why don't you say "I'm voting for Brown because I want a high speed rail from California to DC!" Such a statement would have as much logic behind it.

Apathy in Maryland is downright disgusting.
Lol Really? Apathy? Dude. Just because I vote based on what I WANT or support doesn't make me apathetic. It makes me an engaged voter. Those who don't vote at all are apathetic. Again, no candidate can provide 100% support to every issue for every voter. That's ridiculous and impossible. For some people abortion or healthcare is a no compromise vote. For others the single issue is taxes, regardless of the environment, education, or immigration issues.

A person may have two or three issues that they vote on, but to expect someone to agree on the aggregate positions of a candidate while sacrificing the single most important issue for them is to miss the whole point of voting. The cost/benefit of voting for Brown for me personally outweighs any cost/benefit you feel that Hogan has.

But I know where the criticism comes from. I don't think I'd receive so much criticism if I was voting for Hogan.

And the reason why transportation projects take 40 years is before a project can get off the ground, the party that opposes it gets voted in and the project gets delayed. Then when the party that supports it gets into office, the project moves forward. It all depends on the party that supports the project staying in office long enough for the project to get completed which may take 3 straight terms.

When Ehrlich was in office, the Purple Line project was put on the shelf for four years. It took another democrat in office to get it moving again. And I know that if Hogan gets into office, it will sit for another 4 years. So, why would I let that happen if the project affects my community directly? The benefits of the Purple Line for me now, superscedes any other issue. For others, the SINGLE issue is taxes. And that's fine. I have no problem with the number of issues people vote on. At least they are voting for what matters to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 02:11 PM
 
23,851 posts, read 19,146,946 times
Reputation: 9377
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Lol Really? Apathy? Dude. Just because I vote based on what I WANT or support doesn't make me apathetic. It makes me an engaged voter. Those who don't vote at all are apathetic. Again, no candidate can provide 100% support to every issue for every voter. That's ridiculous and impossible. For some people abortion or healthcare is a no compromise vote. For others the single issue is taxes, regardless of the environment, education, or immigration issues.

A person may have two or three issues that they vote on, but to expect someone to agree on the aggregate positions of a candidate while sacrificing the single most important issue for them is to miss the whole point of voting. The cost/benefit of voting for Brown for me personally outweighs any cost/benefit you feel that Hogan has.

But I know where the criticism comes from. I don't think I'd receive so much criticism if I was voting for Hogan.

And the reason why transportation projects take 40 years is before a project can get off the ground, the party that opposes it gets voted in and the project gets delayed. Then when the party that supports it gets into office, the project moves forward. It all depends on the party that supports the project staying in office long enough for the project to get completed which may take 3 straight terms.

When Ehrlich was in office, the Purple Line project was put on the shelf for four years. It took another democrat in office to get it moving again. And I know that if Hogan gets into office, it will sit for another 4 years. So, why would I let that happen if the project affects my community directly? The benefits of the Purple Line for me now, superscedes any other issue. For others, the SINGLE issue is taxes. And that's fine. I have no problem with the number of issues people vote on. At least they are voting for what matters to them.
How much of that $280 million that Brown wasted on the Obamacare exchange would you have liked for him to put towards the Purple Line?

Let me guess....you give him a free pass on $280 million in wasted taxpayer dollars....while giving him the green light to fumble his way through a governorship unchecked? Voting for Brown is tacit approval of his wasting $280 million dollars. You do understand that, right?

Under what logic do you use to employ a philosophy of supporting someone as worthless and inexperienced in leading big projects as Anthony Brown when the evidence shows he doesn't have the qualifications or the record to back up such a promotion?

You are the walking, talking definition of voter apathy. All because of a friggen light rail system. Unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2014, 02:45 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,587 posts, read 6,370,340 times
Reputation: 2165
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
How much of that $280 million that Brown wasted on the Obamacare exchange would you have liked for him to put towards the Purple Line?

Let me guess....you give him a free pass on $280 million in wasted taxpayer dollars....while giving him the green light to fumble his way through a governorship unchecked? Voting for Brown is tacit approval of his wasting $280 million dollars. You do understand that, right?

Under what logic do you use to employ a philosophy of supporting someone as worthless and inexperienced in leading big projects as Anthony Brown when the evidence shows he doesn't have the qualifications or the record to back up such a promotion?

You are the walking, talking definition of voter apathy. All because of a friggen light rail system. Unbelievable.

So, it sounds like that $280 million is YOUR single issue. And I can understand that. And YUPPPPP, I want my rail system just like others want what matters to them. Unbelievable. God forbid there are people who vote against who you feel they should vote for.

The Purple Line will do more for my community than what Hogan can offer by blocking it. Again, people vote on what their concerns are. I obviously don't care as much about the $280 million lost as I do the Purple Line. So, why are you still in disbelief? lol

You sound like those people on abortion. OMG! How can you vote for the murder of 1000's of children?!?! Geeze. The world will still go on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top