U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2014, 06:30 PM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,906 posts, read 8,014,999 times
Reputation: 3180

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
You mean the roads don't get fixed, the schools don't get built, and the other amenities associated with a good quality of life aren't done........for FREE!!!

You mean that you have to........pay taxes!!!

BOO HOO!!!!!

The horror..........the horror.......

The wisdom and willingness of Marylanders to invest in their schools, universities, roads, transportation, and other infrastructure is one of the reasons that Maryland has always been considered a good place to work, play, and raise a family.

Lately, a more short-sighted, self-centered, and self-serving electorate has been hijacking the governor's mansion, as illustrated last night.

This mindset is one of the reasons that many of us choose not to return to Maryland.

You ilk are going to destroy a once great state.

Mark my words.
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

You do know what happened at the end of the Chicken Little morality tale right? The histrionic bird and buddies he whips into a froth are pegged by Foxy Loxy who sees their naivety and uses it to trick them into being his dinner.

Well, you are Chicken Little, and Foxy Loxy is whatever politican with a D by his/her name that realizes all they need to do is play into your self-created hysteria for an easy vote. Maryland didn't fall for it this time, it seems you still did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2014, 04:31 AM
Status: "On The Lookout" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,363 posts, read 61,643,544 times
Reputation: 31890
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

You do know what happened at the end of the Chicken Little morality tale right?
The histrionic bird and buddies he whips into a froth are pegged...
Good analogy.
But you got the antagonist backward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 AM
 
1,309 posts, read 896,868 times
Reputation: 1754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, how does that crow taste?
Why would I eat a crow? People who don't live in backwoods areas don't normally eat varmints or random birds they see around. You shouldn't either, you could get brain wasting diseases from tainted fowl.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,906 posts, read 8,014,999 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolZombie View Post
Why would I eat a crow? People who don't live in backwoods areas don't normally eat varmints or random birds they see around. You shouldn't either, you could get brain wasting diseases from tainted fowl.
Crows aren't fowl, they are passerines, more specifically corvids. I am guessing biology isn't your strength either....or idioms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Alaska
2,772 posts, read 2,487,487 times
Reputation: 4623
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
"The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"

You do know what happened at the end of the Chicken Little morality tale right? The histrionic bird and buddies he whips into a froth are pegged by Foxy Loxy who sees their naivety and uses it to trick them into being his dinner.

Well, you are Chicken Little, and Foxy Loxy is whatever politican with a D by his/her name that realizes all they need to do is play into your self-created hysteria for an easy vote. Maryland didn't fall for it this time, it seems you still did.
Those who don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat their mistakes:

Remember Bob Ehrlich

Enough said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2014, 10:58 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
33,824 posts, read 41,812,491 times
Reputation: 43188
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Those who don't learn the lessons of history are doomed to repeat their mistakes:

Remember Bob Ehrlich

Enough said.
I do remember.

I remember a balanced State budget without multiple tax increases.

I remember when two married teachers weren't considered the "undeserving rich" who deserved to pay higher State income taxes.

I remember a fully funded and solvent State Retirement System.

I remember the State covering the teacher pension contributions for the Counties as had been done since the 1920's.

I remember when 1/3 of my pension contribution didn't go to balance the General Fund.

I remember fully funded Highway User Revenue moneys going to the localities.

I remember fully funded State Aid for Police going to the localities.

I remember the ease of getting state funding for projects when you went before the Board of Public Works.

I remember the Flush Tax being a grant program and not a bonding mechanism.

I remember when Project Open Space money was actually available for open space projects.

I remember when the Legislature claimed that authorizing casinos to fund the Thornton Bridge to Excellence was called a "tax on the poor" and so couldn't be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-10-2014, 09:06 PM
 
Location: The Heart of Dixie
7,678 posts, read 12,244,527 times
Reputation: 4670
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Tell you what. You pay for only your roads outside of the metro areas and the metro areas will pay for their roads only.

Guess who will run out of money first.
I now live in West Virginia and we pay for our own roads, and part of our federal gas tax money is redistributed toward mass transit in the DC area, Baltimore City, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta and elsewhere in America. Now they are talking about high speed rail in California that will cost billions while there are highways in West Virginia waiting for upgrades and construction like Corridor H (which will connect central WV with Interstate 81 in Virginia close to Front Royal) and the Coalfields Expressway which is critical to the economy in southern WV.

The DC area is the main cause of Maryland's ridiculously high taxes. The Purple Line should be funded exclusively by local taxes in Montgomery and PG Counties and the District. I used to live in Baltimore County and oppose the Red Line there which costs tax money and will only have a negative impact on suburban communities and bring more crime and drugs out from the city like what happened in Timonium, Cockeysville, and Owings Mills and especially Linthicum ever since the Light Rail and Baltimore Metro were built. I read that in Linthicum when the light rail stations were closed for a few months for some reason the crime rate dropped temporarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 08:44 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
5,806 posts, read 6,829,431 times
Reputation: 2296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The Purple Line should be funded exclusively by local taxes in Montgomery and PG Counties and the District.
The Purple Line doesn't run in the district. Maryland and DC will flip red before DC funds a Maryland project. Also, a large part of the congestion on 495 and 95 are form people outside of the DC area. People from Anne Arundel, Howard and Baltimore counties travel on the northern half of the Beltway. Shouldn't they help pay to alleviate that congestion as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Washington, DC area
10,824 posts, read 19,320,746 times
Reputation: 5662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I now live in West Virginia and we pay for our own roads, and part of our federal gas tax money is redistributed toward mass transit in the DC area, Baltimore City, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Atlanta and elsewhere in America. Now they are talking about high speed rail in California that will cost billions while there are highways in West Virginia waiting for upgrades and construction like Corridor H (which will connect central WV with Interstate 81 in Virginia close to Front Royal) and the Coalfields Expressway which is critical to the economy in southern WV.

The DC area is the main cause of Maryland's ridiculously high taxes. The Purple Line should be funded exclusively by local taxes in Montgomery and PG Counties and the District. I used to live in Baltimore County and oppose the Red Line there which costs tax money and will only have a negative impact on suburban communities and bring more crime and drugs out from the city like what happened in Timonium, Cockeysville, and Owings Mills and especially Linthicum ever since the Light Rail and Baltimore Metro were built. I read that in Linthicum when the light rail stations were closed for a few months for some reason the crime rate dropped temporarily.
If you live in a rural area, chances are your infrastructure is heavily subsidized by those living in urban and suburban areas. There is simply not enough tax money gnerated in places like Western Maryland and Western Virginia or any other state outside of metro areas to fund everything for so little people. So if you want to go out and try to fund your own roads, bridges, schools, water treatment, social services etc with money generated by your own counties and no longer have to deal with the urban and suburban counties that need things like light rail, go for it and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2014, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Cumberland
4,906 posts, read 8,014,999 times
Reputation: 3180
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
If you live in a rural area, chances are your infrastructure is heavily subsidized by those living in urban and suburban areas. There is simply not enough tax money gnerated in places like Western Maryland and Western Virginia or any other state outside of metro areas to fund everything for so little people. So if you want to go out and try to fund your own roads, bridges, schools, water treatment, social services etc with money generated by your own counties and no longer have to deal with the urban and suburban counties that need things like light rail, go for it and good luck.
Money for infrastructure = good
State stonewalling any attempts at developing my depopulating area through one-size-fits all growth restrictions = bad

I would gladly give you guys back the money in exchange for the ability to determine policies that work and make sense if our part of the world. Since we are forced to be part of the same state, I say we take the chance a GOP governor gives us and find way to meet in the middle.

btw, Tom lives in West Virginia, I am sure he sees horrible infrastructure each and every day, yet seems happy with where he lives. Money and shiny projects aren't everything in determining quality of life. Sometimes mountains, trees, and a bit of freedom from onerous regulation are enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top