U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:21 AM

26,847 posts, read 57,851,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdflk View Post
The Environmental Protection Agency mandate requires action (not a tax)
by all six Chesapeake Bay watershed states to reduce certain target pollutants.
Actions that the farmers and chicken operations object to. Right?
Take a wild guess why they aren't getting the "action".

Downstream in the continuum are the consumers and landowners.
Did you some actually constructive point to make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:13 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,146,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben A. Roundawurld View Post
I'm new to the area. Don't blindly follow any party, but like someone said earlier Brown seems to be the lesser of two evils.

My early sense about this state (I've been here all of six months) is that most voters (even the more liberal ones) would consider voting for the GOP candidate, but he/she would have to be a viable one. For all of the hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth folks do over the never-ending "tax & spend" behavior of liberal candidates who seem to constantly overreach in their quest to support every social service on the books, many of the folks I talk to aren't willing to go to the opposite extreme and support a candidate who may be too beholden to business interests and intrusive social policies. Something in the middle would be awesome, but where are the candidates who champion some sort of middle ground?

I can't help but believe that many MD voters have paid a great deal of attention to the way things have played out politically across the Potomac over the last few years or so, and they have come to the conclusion that while having their pockets pillaged on a constant basis is not an ideal situation, the political alternative could be a lot worse.
What do you presume that "political alternative" to be?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You make that sound as though he had any actual authority to balance that 'responsibility'
He was put up as a stalking horse / sacrificial lamb.
Get over it.

That he allowed this to happen to him (and his career) is the indictment...
not that the program was poorly considered and un-manageable no matter who had the job.
Back up this assertion with facts, or admit that you are merely stumping for Brown. The fact that quite a few other states "got it right" means that Anthony Brown clearly "got it wrong." There is no "poorly considered" or "un-manageable" about it.

Your allegiance is showing....you should at least try to make sure you know what you're talking about when defending someone.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The fact that quite a few other states "got it right" means that...
means not much at all.

But if you want to explore that notion...
describe the nature of how the political oversight and politician management achieved it there.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
means not much at all.

But if you want to explore that notion...
describe the nature of how the political oversight and politician management achieved it there.
Political oversight? No. This was MANAGEMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION oversight.

You are deflecting simply because you do not have the courage to admit that Anthony Brown failed miserably at the one big task he was handed as Lt. Governor.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:51 AM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben A. Roundawurld View Post
I'm new to the area. Don't blindly follow any party, but like someone said earlier Brown seems to be the lesser of two evils.

My early sense about this state (I've been here all of six months) is that most voters (even the more liberal ones) would consider voting for the GOP candidate, but he/she would have to be a viable one. For all of the hair-pulling and gnashing of teeth folks do over the never-ending "tax & spend" behavior of liberal candidates who seem to constantly overreach in their quest to support every social service on the books, many of the folks I talk to aren't willing to go to the opposite extreme and support a candidate who may be too beholden to business interests and intrusive social policies. Something in the middle would be awesome, but where are the candidates who champion some sort of middle ground?

I can't help but believe that many MD voters have paid a great deal of attention to the way things have played out politically across the Potomac over the last few years or so, and they have come to the conclusion that while having their pockets pillaged on a constant basis is not an ideal situation, the political alternative could be a lot worse.
If you take a look at who contributes to Democratic candidates in Maryland, you might conclude that they are beholden to business interests, particularly Developers.

Like you, I vote for whoever is better. I would not want Maryland to become solid GOP. I would simply like some competition.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
If you take a look at who contributes to (any) candidates (anywhere)
you might conclude that they are beholden to business interests, particularly Developers.

I would not want Maryland to become solid GOP.
I would simply like some competition.
Sounds good to me.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:03 AM

2,594 posts, read 2,284,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
For the first time in my life I am strongly considering voting Republican. I feel very strongly about liberal social issues but the tax and spend pattern in our state is getting out of control.
Before you pull that big "R" lever, ask yourself a question.

Do you really want to put another Ehrlich in the governor's mansion?

Because that is what you will get, a Maryland version of Scott Walker or worse.

Is Maryland perfect? Far from it but it has a pretty good foundation to work with.

Don't make the mistake of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Is Maryland perfect? Far from it but it has a pretty good foundation to work with.

What about "Scott Walker" do you find detestable? What could a MD version of "Scott Walker" do that you would disagree with?

Old 09-05-2014, 01:04 PM

11,287 posts, read 16,808,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Scott Walker?

I would vote for him in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland