U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2014, 02:22 PM
 
609 posts, read 510,935 times
Reputation: 702

Advertisements

Republicans are weasels.
Democrats are snakes.
The American taxpayers are hens
in a hen house. It's all a matter of
guarding the hen house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2014, 03:18 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,174 posts, read 39,311,449 times
Reputation: 40694
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What about "Scott Walker" do you find detestable? What could a MD version of "Scott Walker" do that you would disagree with?

If Ehrlich was a MD version of Scott Walker here's what phlinak doesn't like:

Ehrlich inherited a deficit budget from Glendenning and with a combination of spending cuts and fee increases balanced it all four years he was Governor. O'Malley inherited a balanced budget from Ehrlich which he felt needed cuts so he called a Special Session of the Legislature. They did indeed cut $500M dollars in spending from that fiscal year. Of course they also added $2B in spending at the same time.

He also slowed down Glendenning's Smart Growth plan which threatened to strangle the rural areas of the State. Of course under O'Malley Smart Growth morphed into PlanMD which is strangling the rural areas of the State.

Ehrlich increased Highway User Revenues to the Counties and municipalities. Something O'Malley cut by 95%. The last couple years funding has been restored to 20% of what it was, even after the new revenue from O'Malley's gas tax increase.

Ehrlich also increased State Aid For Police to the Counties and municipalities. O'Malley cut that by 100% for several years. It's now back to 5% of what it was.

Ehrlich reaffirmed the State's commitment to fund teacher pensions, increasing the fund balance to 105% of projected expenses. O'Malley raided the pension fund, kicked pension costs back to the Counties, increased teacher contributions to 7% with the increase going to balance the General Fund and has the fund balance down to 61% of projected expenses. It's now considered the worst teacher pension in the US.

The Flush Tax was Ehrlich's initiative. You know, from an environment hating Republican.

Ehrlich also tried to find funding for the multi-billion dollar structural deficit for the unfunded Thornton Bridge To Excellence For Education plan, another Glendenning initiative. Ehrlich's solution was allowing slots to operate in the State. He was opposed on moral grounds by Del. Michael Busch (D-Anne Arundel) and Sen. Thomas V. "Mike" Miller (D-Prince George's/Calvert). They apparently had a moral conversion because they did support O'Malley's plan to introduce slots and both had leadership roles in passing the legislation.

The biggest reason phlinak doesn't like Ehrlich or Walker is they both have "R" after their names.

As a note, I've had dealings with/had to work on various municipal issues with every MD Governor since Harry Hughes. O'Malley is the absolute worst to deal with. He seems to come up with an idea on how to **** over the Counties and municipalities on a daily basis.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 09-05-2014 at 03:30 PM.. Reason: added last info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 04:02 PM
 
11,317 posts, read 16,840,585 times
Reputation: 5537
Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Republicans are weasels.
Democrats are snakes.
The American taxpayers are hens
in a hen house. It's all a matter of
guarding the hen house.
I'd rather the snakes not have a monopoly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,188 posts, read 21,775,440 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It's a simple question: Do Marylander's really think that a third Martin O'Malley term is the right direction for Maryland?
Short answer, he will win. He is not the right person for Maryland, but he is the right person for central Maryland.

Brown is definitely not going to get my vote (that does not mean that Hogan will).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 05:43 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,617 posts, read 2,295,781 times
Reputation: 4325
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What about "Scott Walker" do you find detestable? What could a MD version of "Scott Walker" do that you would disagree with?
How about breaking the public employee unions for starters?

You're one of those conservatives who hates "big-government" and unions and views both of them as indicative of all that is wrong with America, aren't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,617 posts, read 2,295,781 times
Reputation: 4325
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If Ehrlich was a MD version of Scott Walker here's what phlinak doesn't like:

Ehrlich inherited a deficit budget from Glendenning and with a combination of spending cuts and fee increases balanced it all four years he was Governor. O'Malley inherited a balanced budget from Ehrlich which he felt needed cuts so he called a Special Session of the Legislature. They did indeed cut $500M dollars in spending from that fiscal year. Of course they also added $2B in spending at the same time.

He also slowed down Glendenning's Smart Growth plan which threatened to strangle the rural areas of the State. Of course under O'Malley Smart Growth morphed into PlanMD which is strangling the rural areas of the State.

Ehrlich increased Highway User Revenues to the Counties and municipalities. Something O'Malley cut by 95%. The last couple years funding has been restored to 20% of what it was, even after the new revenue from O'Malley's gas tax increase.

Ehrlich also increased State Aid For Police to the Counties and municipalities. O'Malley cut that by 100% for several years. It's now back to 5% of what it was.

Ehrlich reaffirmed the State's commitment to fund teacher pensions, increasing the fund balance to 105% of projected expenses. O'Malley raided the pension fund, kicked pension costs back to the Counties, increased teacher contributions to 7% with the increase going to balance the General Fund and has the fund balance down to 61% of projected expenses. It's now considered the worst teacher pension in the US.

The Flush Tax was Ehrlich's initiative. You know, from an environment hating Republican.

Ehrlich also tried to find funding for the multi-billion dollar structural deficit for the unfunded Thornton Bridge To Excellence For Education plan, another Glendenning initiative. Ehrlich's solution was allowing slots to operate in the State. He was opposed on moral grounds by Del. Michael Busch (D-Anne Arundel) and Sen. Thomas V. "Mike" Miller (D-Prince George's/Calvert). They apparently had a moral conversion because they did support O'Malley's plan to introduce slots and both had leadership roles in passing the legislation.

The biggest reason phlinak doesn't like Ehrlich or Walker is they both have "R" after their names.

As a note, I've had dealings with/had to work on various municipal issues with every MD Governor since Harry Hughes. O'Malley is the absolute worst to deal with. He seems to come up with an idea on how to **** over the Counties and municipalities on a daily basis.
If you want my opinion, then ask me.

If you're not interested, that's cool.

However, you don't know me so please do not presume to speak for me.

I show respect and expect the same in return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 06:00 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,174 posts, read 39,311,449 times
Reputation: 40694
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
If you want my opinion, then ask me.

If you're not interested, that's cool.

However, you don't know me so please do not presume to speak for me.

I show respect and expect the same in return.
Right. It shows up every time you post. Do you really want me to drag up some examples of how "polite" or "respectful" you are with those with whom you disagree? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Maryland not Murlin
8,188 posts, read 21,775,440 times
Reputation: 6116
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What about "Scott Walker" do you find detestable? What could a MD version of "Scott Walker" do that you would disagree with?
Scott Walker is a bit extreme by Wisconsin Republican standards, and Wisconsin is a heckofalot more Conservative than Maryland (although in an upper-Midwest sort of way. There have only been 12 Democrat Governors of Wisconsin since 1848; 31 Republicans).

Maryland Republicans would initially welcome the likes of him, then find him a bit extreme, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 06:22 PM
 
1,309 posts, read 851,206 times
Reputation: 1737
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
Maryland might as well have a one-party system the way it is now. I think neither party should have as much control over a state as the Dem's do over MD. There's no control on them and MD outside of the center is ignored.
I'm generally a liberal but I agree, and that also goes for our Congress. Moderate Republicans have done a great job snuffing out the Tea Party this election cycle nationally but the MD GOP apparently hasn't gotten the memo, likely because no one upstairs cares and lets the lunatics run the asylum. They'd be wise to push moderate Republicans who don't have to be barnburning Rick Santorum types like Hogan. MD used to have a rich tradition of moderate Republicans like Sen Mack Mathias, and Reps Connie Morella and Wayne Gilchrest not too long ago but they let the Teabaggers storm the castle. It really would be better for all Marylanders if sane people had a viable alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2014, 06:27 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
32,174 posts, read 39,311,449 times
Reputation: 40694
Hogan is about as much a "Teabagger" as Brown is.


I've noticed that anyone who doesn't fall into the Progressive Democratic line here in MD is labeled a "Teabagger". That includes several Democratic politicians here in Southern MD.

As a note, my preferred candidate was Craig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top