Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2007, 03:52 PM

5 posts, read 35,356 times

Advertisements

I notice $40 or more in taxes has been taken out of my check since moving from VA to MD. This makes no sense to me. Is there a particular reason why MD has higher taxes than VA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2007, 04:27 PM

2,819 posts, read 10,402,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jubilee31156 View Post
I notice $40 or more in taxes has been taken out of my check since moving from VA to MD. This makes no sense to me. Is there a particular reason why MD has higher taxes than VA?
Maryland is a very funny state and one of the last states left with the "Piggyback"

In Virginia you will find a tax rate of 5.75% over 17k. Maryland has a flat 4.75% seems like a whole percent less right? Wrong!
Depending on the county you live in Maryland, Montgomery being one of the highest for example, you will have a county piggyback on top of the 4.75% rate that can vary, again depending on county, anywhere from 50-75% of the state tax rate.
Next thing you know instead of 4.75% your now up to 7% give or take

As an FYI, Maryland always holds it's annual rating with other states like New York and California as America's Tax Hell's!

Welcome to the "Free State" where unless your on the government sow, nothing is free!

Old 12-31-2007, 01:40 PM

68 posts, read 265,245 times
And it will get worse once the new tax hikes kick in and worse in 2009 when our wonderful governor has another chance to raise taxes again. "I asked all of my department heads (nicely of course) to see if there were any costs they could cut." Well gee whiz they all said no and we need huge increases just to keep functioning at our present inefficient levels. I guess I'll just have to screw the taxpayers some more. I did a great job in Baltimore as mayor, maybe I can ruin the whole state!

Old 01-01-2008, 03:45 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
But don't you have personal property taxes in VA? i.e. your car/boat etc? And car inspection? Not sure if that evens things out at all......

Old 01-02-2008, 03:48 PM

49 posts, read 189,724 times
yep... just look at who is living at the big house in Annapolis... throw in the "Mikes" and you will begin to see the big picture.. Md has always been a tax and spend state but now it is completely out of control.. ie... public opinion being ignored at the recent "special session" that was needed so that life as we know it would not come to an end. ....might not be the place for you unless of course you are a felon , a illegal alien or are taking your marching orders from moveon.org... besides you shouldn't be so selfish.. be happy knowing you are providing shelter, free health care and education to all your fellow Marylanders (even if they are not American citizens aor on the path to become one)..not to mention jobs for Omalleys buddies.. .

Old 01-03-2008, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
But don't you have personal property taxes in VA? i.e. your car/boat etc? And car inspection? Not sure if that evens things out at all......
There is a personal tax on cars and inspection, but not to equal Maryland.
At first when VA went Democrat I thought they may catch Maryland, but the election of Marty O'Marxist Malley has taken care of that.

Old 01-03-2008, 07:26 PM

25 posts, read 165,934 times
Georgia: Yup. Think of it this way, for every dollar you pay in taxes in Maryland, .37 goes to Baltimore (a city with approximately 10% of the State's population). It will only get worse under O'Malley.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Man View Post
Georgia: Yup. Think of it this way, for every dollar you pay in taxes in Maryland, .37 goes to Baltimore (a city with approximately 10% of the State's population). It will only get worse under O'Malley.
Kind of like here in Georgia, always paying for the City of Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland