Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 08:01 AM

4 posts, read 26,750 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I was wondering if you all could give me advice. My husband is taking a job in Chambersburg, PA and we will be moving to that area as soon as our house sells. We are currently in Norfolk, Va.

I have a 6 year old and a 1 year old. I am looking for a city/town that has GREAT schools, are SAFE, houses that are good sized, with a big yard, good neighborhood in the $200,000 -300,000 range.

Basically, the move is for the kids. We live in a pretty big city now and want to have the kids grow up in the best location possible. I heard Hagerstown has really good schools.... I am leaning toward there but I understand the taxes are really high...... I also would prefer not to live in the middle of no where. I would prefer the city/town to have a store selection and not have to drive really far to get it.....

ANY advice would be great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM

42 posts, read 158,339 times
sry i had to delete what i originally wrote because i somehow thought you said you were moving to MD not PA lol. i didnt realize i navigated away from the MD forum! lol

Old 10-15-2009, 12:28 PM

380 posts, read 1,159,998 times
Chambersburg & surrounding areas are nice. Avoid MD for a plethora of reasons. If you really want your husband to commute check out the eastern panhandle of WV.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:38 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Living in WV to commute the Chambersburg, PA would be unneccessary and foolish. The OP seems to want a more city style environment, so Hagerstown, MD would be the logical choice. Why commute all the way from Martinsburg?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:11 PM

That's what I said, Chambersburg area is nice. Unless you really want to commute. Hagerstown should be avoided especially when you can live in PA.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:59 AM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Chambersburg is very nice, but about half the size of Hagerstown. More shopping/dining options in Hagerstown. I wouldn't call either place "middle of nowhere".

Don't know what is so bad about MD taxes? I live in MD and my taxes are not so bad.

I wouldn't live in WV. I agree, that would be foolish in this case. I think Martinsburg is even smaller than Chambersburg but I don't know for sure.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:29 AM

Differences between Chambersburg, PA & Hagerstown, MD:

Chambersburg has 459 homes listed for sale between $17K and $1.6M; Median=$189k; Average=$217k. Typical real estate tax on a home listed @ $200k is $2,000-$2,300. PA has a flat 3.07% income tax rate.

Hagerstown has 453 homes listed for sale between $40k and $995K; Median=$219K; Average=$251k. Typical real estate tax on a home listed @ $200k is $2,200 to $2,600. MD hits you with a bracketed tax of 4.75% for most average earners up to $150k plus 2.8% for the county.

And, not that you'd want to commute from WV, but the average real estate tax for a home at the $200k price range is $1,300 to $1,600 in Berkeley County and state income tax is graduated with rates averaging 3% to 5% on fed adjusted gross.

I'd also check crime rates (I think they are similar throughout the region), personal property tax, sales tax, utilities, utility taxes (get real phone bills from the areas to compare the hidden taxes), gas taxes/prices, state laws & regs on activities you enjoy such as hunting, farming, driving, etc.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:43 AM

4 posts, read 26,750 times
Thanks for the info. I have read that Chambersburg is really nice. I have read that the schools are questionable though? If we did get a house in Chambersburg, what area would we want to buy a house in? What are the best schools to go for? What are the best neighborhoods? Thanks so much everyone, I feel a little overwhelmed with our possible move!

Old 10-19-2009, 12:27 PM

941 posts, read 3,911,404 times
You might want to talk to 'firefightermom' - not sure of spelling - she lives right in Chambersburg, PA who posts frequently on here the MD forum.

I've went up that way a few times. Sure is pretty. Chambersburg is a small town by most standards, but growing.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:22 PM

13 posts, read 41,042 times
I used to live in/around Chambersburg. We lived on Criders Church Road. Nice area. Farmland in front and behind us. At the time, we lived near my aunt and uncle (now deceased.) Not that far a drive to the grocery store (Sunnyland.) Not that far into town either. Also near Shatzer's Orchards store. All in all I enjoyed my stay there. If your family is into target shooting, there is Chambersburg Rod and Gun (where they hold the Franklin County fair each year.) The club also has a nice fishing pond on club grounds. Used to catch the heck out of bluegills and some bass as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: