Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 04:07 PM

4 posts, read 20,819 times

Advertisements

I'm currently working as a school librarian at a public elementary school in DC (one of the supposedly higher-achieving ones), and my son is enrolled in preK there. I am already thinking about moving on next year, though, as I can't stand how frantic everyone's getting about making sure that all of the kids, even the 4-year-olds, are adequately prepped for the standardized tests that don't even start until 3rd grade. I realize this is all NCLB...stuff, but it seems to me like there are too many teachers at that school who drank the koolaid long ago and now seem to think that NCLB and the all-important TEST are just the greatest things ever. I'm glad that I'm not as involved in having to perpetuate this as a classroom teacher would be, but I do not want my son to be in an atmosphere where they are trying to make him stress out by kindergarten about test-readiness. I know that Montgomery County schools are notorious for test-driven stress (and yes, they have the high scores to show for it, whoopee for them), but I'd really like my son to have more of a happy childhood and not have to be the slightest bit bothered by test scores. (I don't recall any college admissions counselors or employers of mine checking my elementary school transcripts.)

Are there any MD counties where they take a slightly more laid-back approach to testing? I know private schools are an option, but there are a limited number of openings and even with a staff discount I can't afford the tuition at most of these as I'm a single parent. I am more than willing to relocate, and have actually considered trying to scrape together enough freelance work to move out to Allegheny County and homeschool my son - I make about half my income freelancing now (my librarian job's parttime) but I don't think my cost of living will drop 50% by moving - 20-30%, maybe. I'm not sure this will work, though, so I'm looking at applying to other school systems. I know Howard has openings and I've heard that Washington County may as well, but I'd like to know whether I'd be trading one pressure cooker for another before making my move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 04:12 PM

268 posts, read 1,106,581 times
Not Mont. Co..

They teach to test and will change the test scores (if they are low) so they keep looking good.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:04 PM

2 posts, read 6,810 times
Default School systems

Try Carroll County. Cost of living is less than Montgomery, and schools are generally good. There is less emphasis on the test... but that may vary by school. Washington County is also less test driven. Good luck!

Old 01-04-2008, 07:34 AM

74 posts, read 378,502 times
Unfortunately I think everyone now has to "teach to the test". However, it seems a significant portion of the Education community thinks that this aspect of NCLB is a huge mistake.

Old 01-04-2008, 01:24 PM

4 posts, read 20,819 times
I wish I thought it was ever going to be repealed, but after so many years, that thinking seems to be ingrained, at least at the administrative level. I just found out today that DC administers standardized tests to 4-year-olds! My son is NOT going to go for that. I told him to go ahead and fail, not even to pick up the pencil if he didn't feel like it. This test isn't going to do him any good, and it won't do his teacher any good, and I can't imagine the scores are going to be anything to brag about since he's not the only kid in his class who is more likely to spout wings and fly than he is to sit down quietly and fill in little circles with a pencil or whatever it is they expect them to do.

The thing that just kills me is, none of the teachers ever says, even in private, that this is ridiculous. They all seem to think it's reasonable, and are just concerned about what they need to cover with their classes before the tests are administered. I feel like it's the emperor's new clothes or something - doesn't anyone else see the guy's naked? Or are they just afraid of losing their jobs if they speak out? I'm kind of afraid of this, too (it may be a done deal already, as I have expressed some of my feelings on the subject of testing), but my son is far more important to me than my career (and my contingency plans have contingency plans) so I just can't go along agreeing that high test scores are the only thing that makes a good school. I want my son's teachers to see him as an individual, not as a low, medium, or high percentile or stanine. I know lots of other parents feel the same way, but what can you do besides homeschool, which is not always an option due to finances, work commitments, and lack of childcare for school-age children?

Incredibly frustrating. I will try Washington and Carroll counties, however, since they may not be quite so driven to make sure every child ends up in Harvard. (I must be one of Montgomery County's big failures, because I just went to UMass, not an ivy league. But then again, I didn't go to preK or full-day kindergarten.)

Old 01-04-2008, 02:58 PM

240 posts, read 1,019,125 times
Don't count out the private schools because of cost. Many of them provide financial assistance to students who parents can't afford the cost. A little known secret.

The trick is to find a private school that has a well rounded student body. My daughter went to Sandy Spring Friends School in Sandy Springs MD. 140 acres campus with PK to 12th grade. Plenty of space to run, athletics, academic, and it has a religious component that stresses values vs. a specific religion. They emphasize the whole child v. academics only. My daughter loved that school but we moved out of state. She still talks about that school today.

Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 PM

415 posts, read 1,957,215 times
If I remember from a discussion with a teacher friend of mine, they only teach to the test, and focus on that alone, because of the ramifications to the teacher if the students do poorly on it.
It's just another example of a CYA situation.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 PM

9 posts, read 30,749 times
ahhh...another classic example of Big Brother looking out for you.....so much for the Adminstration's reauthorizating No Child Left Behind Act.

Tea anybody?

Old 01-10-2008, 12:04 PM

123 posts, read 380,019 times
Couple of things yes they start working on the skills for testing right away. Any Maryland or Virginia school might be better. However, Howard County teachers are some of the highest paid teachers in the state. Also instead of putting perssure on the kids they include testing skills in their classes. For example both my middle and elementary school kids have drills everyday with two to three problems that are exercises for testing. Couple of reasons for that but the main reason is so the kids are use to the test to help take the pressure off.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM

30 posts, read 127,137 times
Default AP classes

Indeed, it is true that many public school agendas are geared toward standard testing. Of note are AP courses offered at many high schools across the country. To learn more about some of the pressure that come along with these courses, you can visit this very comprehensive article:

Paly Voice: AP: Additional Pressure? (http://voice.paly.net/view_story.php?id=6091 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: