Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:23 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times

Advertisements

The use of the word "y'all" is usually considered to be a "southern thing." I have noticed that it is very prevalent in MD. I am an educated person, but I don't have a problem with using "y'all" in certain informal situations. I certainly wouldn't use it on a professional or formal level, but in informal contexts I find it to be unsophisticated, yet disarming and somewhat charming in a casual "southern" way. I think of it as a kind of down-home expression that just feels warm and familiar- if used in informal situations only, mind you. Your thoughts?

Last edited by Gfab1; 12-08-2014 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 02:39 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfab1 View Post
The use of the word "y'all" is usually considered to be a "southern thing." I have noticed that it is very prevalent in MD. I am an educated person, but I don't have a problem with using "y'all" in certain informal situations. I certainly wouldn't use it in on a professional or formal level, but in informal contexts I find it to be unsophisticated, yet disarming and somewhat charming in a casual "southern" way. I think of it as a kind of down-home expression that just feels warm and familiar- if used in informal situations only, mind you. Your thoughts?
"Y'all" is just a contraction of "you all." No different than using wouldn't. I'm not sure how using a legitimate contraction is seen as unsophisticated.

Now saying "all y'all" is wrong because you're actually saying "All you all" and that's not right...Anyway, "y'all" shouldn't be looked at as "ain't" because it's actually a legitimate contraction.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:08 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,182,696 times
I guess I would say that it isn't, as far as I know anyway, a grammatically legitimate contraction. What brought this subject to mind was that a friend of mine (who is an intelligent, educated woman) moved from MD to CA and told me that whenever she said "y'all" she was looked at like she was a three-eyed mutant redneck by her peers.

ETA: I could be wrong, but to me the use of the word "you" is grammatically correct in both a singular and plural sense, so "y'all" can be considered incorrect and/or redundant. If the plural sense of the word "you" needed to be emphasized, I would consider saying "all of you" to be more proper than saying "y'all." If my assumption is incorrect, however, I am open to hearing about why it is incorrect.

Last edited by Gfab1; 12-08-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 03:21 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Y'all is the equivalent of "youse," which is common plural form of "you" in the northeast.

Old 12-08-2014, 04:14 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,026 times
Quote:
I guess I would say that it isn't, as far as I know anyway, a grammatically legitimate contraction. What brought this subject to mind was that a friend of mine (who is an intelligent, educated woman) moved from MD to CA and told me that whenever she said "y'all" she was looked at like she was a three-eyed mutant redneck by her peers.

ETA: I could be wrong, but to me the use of the word "you" is grammatically correct in both a singular and plural sense, so "y'all" can be considered incorrect and/or redundant. If the plural sense of the word "you" needed to be emphasized, I would consider saying "all of you" to be more proper than saying "y'all." If my assumption is incorrect, however, I am open to hearing about why it is incorrect.
Can't is can not
I'd is I would or I had
They've is they have
Should've is should have
You'd is you would or you had
Isn't is Is not
Let's is let us
Hadn't is had not

"Y'all" (you all) actually follows the same pattern as all contractions and specifically that of "let's" and "hadn't" ( the whole one word, apostrophe, omit one of the three other letters format).

Plus, it's really great as a 2nd person plural....In English, there's just "you." I'm also sure that most associate it with rednecks and stuff. When used correctly, it's pretty legit.

Is Y'all A Word? Find Out What the Dictionary Says

Y'all Is a Feminist Pronoun (Not really but it's useful in this PC world we live in).

Last edited by Chevalier de Saint-George; 12-08-2014 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-08-2014, 04:58 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times

Use of you all or y'all to address multiple people

Southern American English - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Western Maryland is all mixed up. We have some folks that use you all, some that say youse (sorta sounds like you'ns which I suspect it once was considering our proximity to PA). I say "you guys" but that isn't cradle tongue, just the least objectionable of the available choices. I can't say y'all is very common.

But overall, you all/y'all is used in Maryland. Just not as much as in the deep south, but far more than any state to our north. It is almost like we are a border state or something.

Old 12-08-2014, 06:37 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
The use of the word "y'all" is usually considered to be a "southern thing." I have noticed that it is very prevalent in MD. I am an educated person, but I don't have a problem with using "y'all" in certain informal situations. I certainly wouldn't use it on a professional or formal level, but in informal contexts I find it to be unsophisticated, yet disarming and somewhat charming in a casual "southern" way. I think of it as a kind of down-home expression that just feels warm and familiar- if used in informal situations only, mind you. Your thoughts?
I am born, breed and raised in Maryland and lived here my entire life. Have never used y'all nor have any of my friends and family in Maryland. I don't think it is prevalent everywhere in Maryland. Maybe just certain parts.
I have never said y'all.
I prefer to think of us as Mid-Atlantic

Old 12-09-2014, 09:38 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
I am a Baltimoron by birth. Nobody in my family or even my acquaintance said y'all in Baltimore, unless they were transplants from further south. I don't know about the rest of Maryland outside Baltimore.

Among those from further south, "y'all" could be singular on occasion (H.L. Mencken writes about this in The American Language) with "all y'all" being the plural.

"Y'all" is listed in Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary as a variant of "you all." IIRC (and I may not), the MWCD is considered definitive by the Federal Government.

I find "y'all" to be quite charming compared to "youze," which I find painfully grating.

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 12-09-2014 at 10:00 AM..

Old 12-09-2014, 10:12 AM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
well yall have my permission to use yall as much as you all want .. I never considered a hyphen in its spelling ..

Old 12-09-2014, 10:38 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,205,461 times
I often say either y'all or you guys. Sometimes "youse", like "youse guys" or "youse a bamma" for example. Prince Georgian, born and raised for the full 22 years of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland