U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:26 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,845,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
Actually, Baltimore is weather and is in or near the range of more southern plants. Of course, this should be expected of Louisville because of its elevation and distance from the shore.

Edit: It's actually less than a degree warmer on average, so forget that.
Actually, Maryland is in the Transition Zone as far as climate is concerned. Louisville should have weather more like you'd expect in Indiana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 10:16 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,443,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Actually, Maryland is in the Transition Zone as far as climate is concerned. Louisville should have weather more like you'd expect in Indiana.
Is it? Most maps place Philly as the transition, and some actually indicate that the transition happens in Pennsylvania. Based on temperature averages alone, this makes sense.

The Ohio River is the transition area as far as the interior South is concerned. This is evidenced by the fact that subtropical climate flora and fauna are found there, as well as humid continental types.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:01 AM

27,758 posts, read 24,774,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
What's funny is that how they deal with snow is more characteristic of the South than the North.
Which is interesting. Although I've only lived in Jersey for a year (which has encompassed most of two winters), I'm going to have to get adjusted to that when I move to Maryland.

Old 03-12-2016, 02:23 PM

4,801 posts, read 3,443,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Which is interesting. Although I've only lived in Jersey for a year (which has encompassed most of two winters), I'm going to have to get adjusted to that when I move to Maryland.
Well the snowfall averages of Maryland outside of the higher elevation regions of Appalachia are very similar to the snowfall averages of Kentucky. Baltimore itself is the "snowiest" big city and is only 20 inches on average, most of which result in less than that much of the time Nor'easters don't strike.

It's not that far North. Many places at similar latitude receive just as weak of snowfall unless they're higher in elevation, like the mountainous areas of West Virginia. This is why WV mostly has a humid continental climate and not subtropical, because of the colder mountains.

Old 03-15-2016, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 897 times
I would say, taking the historical approach, that the northern part (Harford Co., Cecil Co.) certainly belongs to the Philadelphia region; Washington County to the Pennsylvania Dutch region; probably the far western area to a border region with Pennsylvania and West Virginia. But most of the counties in the Eastern and Western Shore are part of the Chesapeake/Virginia region.

Old 03-15-2016, 05:33 PM

1,112 posts, read 626,232 times
The flora seems to lean southern. These are trees mostly seen in the humid subtropical/southern areas. Those with an asterisk can be found also in the Philadelphia/southern New Jersey transition areas.

Loblolly Pine
Sweetbay Magnolia*
Southern Magnolia (according to MD biodiversity project, this species has been naturalized in nine counties, taking up most of the tidewater region)
Bald Cypress
Willow Oak
Laurel Oak
American Holly*
Crepe Myrtle
Quercus Nigra
Pond Pine*

Also, most of Maryland is in either the "Mid-Atlantic coastal forest" or "southeastern mixed forest" range. The Mid-Atlantic coastal forests stretch from Delaware to South Carolina, BTW.

Old 03-15-2016, 08:47 PM

1,112 posts, read 626,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post
The flora seems to lean southern. These are trees mostly seen in the humid subtropical/southern areas. Those with an asterisk can be found also in the Philadelphia/southern New Jersey transition areas.

Loblolly Pine
Sweetbay Magnolia*
Southern Magnolia (according to MD biodiversity project, this species has been naturalized in nine counties, taking up most of the tidewater region)
Bald Cypress
Willow Oak
Laurel Oak
American Holly*
Crepe Myrtle
Quercus Nigra
Pond Pine*

Also, most of Maryland is in either the "Mid-Atlantic coastal forest" or "southeastern mixed forest" range. The Mid-Atlantic coastal forests stretch from Delaware to South Carolina, BTW.
Georgia, not South Carolina.

Old 03-16-2016, 02:02 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,219,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladle of Gravy View Post
I would say, taking the historical approach, that the northern part (Harford Co., Cecil Co.) certainly belongs to the Philadelphia region; Washington County to the Pennsylvania Dutch region; probably the far western area to a border region with Pennsylvania and West Virginia. But most of the counties in the Eastern and Western Shore are part of the Chesapeake/Virginia region.
I've never heard of Harford County belonging to the Philadelphia region. Cecil County is the only county in MD that I've ever heard to be considered part of the Philadelphia region, and it's on the far outskirts.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:09 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,277,235 times
Isn't Cecil County Maryland's HQ of The Ku Klux Klan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
I've never heard of Harford County belonging to the Philadelphia region. Cecil County is the only county in MD that I've ever heard to be considered part of the Philadelphia region, and it's on the far outskirts.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:16 AM

5,292 posts, read 5,277,235 times
[quote]I've never heard of Harford County belonging to the Philadelphia region.[quote]

*Intersting! Back in the late 80's (pre-internet radio days), we used to get all the fresh Philly radio stations (Power 99fm) because the station's transmitter was so POWERFUL (50,000 MHz), so we could hear them better than local most station in the Baltimore Metro area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland