Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 07:18 AM

847 posts, read 3,352,726 times

Advertisements

TuborgP is right -- teachers can make plenty of money, especially since they're basically only working 9-10 months of the year. So you start at 43k or so (my husband's first computer programming job only paid $35k!), 2-3 months vacation, and a pension, and it only goes up from there (to about $100k according to the FY08 "Salary Card Schedule" for Montgomery County). Compared to a lot of other ways you could spend your time, that's a pretty sweet gig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 AM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
I wonder how the comparison looks for Schools listed in the Top 100. Is there a significant difference if I take an elementary school from the #1 (Chevy Chase Village, Montgomery County) and put it up against the #50 (Mary’s Chapel, Baltimore County), and the number #100 (Severn, Ann Arundel County)? How much will they differ in performance? (Note; I took the best performing elementary from each area.)

Chevy Chase #1
Somerset Elementary School
Reading 95.5%
Math 97.2%

Mays Chapel, MD #50
Padonia International Elementary School
Reading 92.5%
Math 95.0%

Severn, MD #100
Ridgeway Elementary School
Reading 93.2%
Math 90.5%

Reading
  • Chevy Chase 95.5%
  • Severn 93.2%
  • Mays Chapel 92.5%
Math
  • Chevy Chase 97.2%
  • Mays Chapel 95.0%
  • Severn 90.5%

Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM

Okay, same exercise as above, but now let’s compare the wealthiest towns in each county via elementary school and see what we get. (Note. Some elementary schools only go up to k-5 and they performed better than k-6 etc. Also I grabbed the elementary by the zip code the town was in)

Montgomery County
Prince Georges County
Queen Anne’s County
Talbot County
Calvert County
Howard County
Baltimore County
Ann Arundel County
Carroll County

Chevy Chase #1 (Montgomery County)
Somerset Elementary School
Reading 95.5%
Math 97.2%

Dunkirk #22 (Calvert County)
Mount Harmony Elementary School
Reading 97.6%
Math 98.0%

Mount Airy #74(Carroll County)
Twin Ridge Elementary School
Reading 90.1%
Math 88.7%

Oxford #??(Talbot County)
White Marsh Elementary School
Reading 94.4%
Math 94.5%

Clarksville #4 (Howard County)
Clarksville Elementary School
Reading 96.9%
Math 95.6%

Davidsonville #18 (Ann Arundel County)
Davidsonville Elementary School
Reading 94.5%
Math 96.0%

Hampton #23 (Baltimore County)
Hampton Elementary School
Reading 92.9%
Math 92.4%

Woodmore #20 (Prince George’s County)
Heather Hills Elementary School
Reading 89.5%
Math 89.1%

Old 02-10-2008, 11:51 AM

Now, here's an easier view of the data

The Average for Reading 93.9%
Median for reading was 94.5%

Maryland State Average 76.0%

Reading
1. Dunkirk (Calvert County) 97.6%
2. Clarksville (Howard County) 96.9%
3. Chevy Chase (Montgomery County) 95.5%
4. Davidsonville (Ann Arundel County) 94.5%
5. Oxford (Talbot County) 94.4%
6. Hampton (Baltimore County) 92.9%
7. Mount Airy (Carroll County) 90.1%
8. Woodmore (Prince George's County) 89.5%

The Average for Math 93.9%
The Median for Math 95.0%

Maryland State Average 78.0%

Math
1. Dunkirk (Calvert County) 98.0%
2. Chevy Chase (Montgomery County) 97.2%
3. Davidsonville (Ann Arundel County) 96.0%
4. Clarksville (Howard County) 95.6%
5. Oxford (Talbot County) 94.5%
6. Hampton (Baltimore County) 92.4%
7. Woodmore (Prince George's County) 89.1%
8. Mount Airy (Carroll County) 88.7%

SchoolMatters - Home (http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=hm - broken link)

Old 02-10-2008, 12:44 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,299,350 times
Base upon your numbers they all seem to be on the same level. When you have an Affulent area it seems the students/school perform very good. I know not all school in Montgomery County score high but the schools in Montgomery county that score low are in the lower income areas not all but most. I remember you posted another post which showed an Elementary in Rockville I think the school name is White Flint Elementary and their test score was low. When I compare WHite Flint which is in Rockville to other poorer areas, White Flint Elementary was on par with the lower income area or scored lower then some lower income area.

Truthhurts: YOu do post some helpful information for those who are new to the area and those who live in the area but are unaware.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:41 AM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
Yes you are right on point. There is a great disparity between those who have and those who have not. This dividing line will become more defined as times goes on in my opinion.

I do believe the haves will be concentrated around the major economic centers of this country (in this case Washington DC) and those on the fringes will be living a great distance from where the economy is centered. Remaining areas of DC that house lower middle class individuals will eventually gentrify. The same will eventually happen to other surrounding jurisdictions just outside of DC as affordable real estate in these areas becomes scarce and subsequently push those who are not able to afford to reside in these areas further out as this process unfolds. Real estate a short distance from where all the jobs shopping and other amenities will be very valuable as this process takes place.

This is taking place all over the country. The big picture of this however will not be pretty.
Yeah, I see that too in many ways...but there really isn't much that can be done about it, either.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 AM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Truth,
I thank you for addressing my reply.
The one factor I still hinge on is the presence of the federal government. 70% may have employment in the private sector but, as a former sub-contractor that chased positions around the entire metro area, I know the sources of funding for those contracts. They all tied into projects funded by the feds which created the plethora of cottage industries that exist to support those contracts.
Most of the people I know have employment that ties back to federal funding in some manner. I am curious as to what those who receive $75K+ do for a living. I found too many people are Managers with far too few worker bees. The managers won't perform the duties of their underlings if put to it.
I whine and complain about PG county because I live here and have seen what is wrong. If you live here long enough and pay attention - prejudices aside - it falls into a pattern. I could not attempt to fix it because I would be considered racist while infuriating most whites as well. Unbeknownst to all, it is not about race. Parris Glendenning, white, wreaked more havoc on this county than I can recall. Most importantly, it is not a matter of further segregation of black and white though the politicians of the county and state succeed in doing so too well. I think it to be a redistribution of county awareness and services. Oh, the right county executive and council help as well. Glendenning did little in the way of attracting any of the large tech companies that built in NOVA. We all know we could have used the business on this side of the Potomac. How many PG county residents drive over there for employment?
Boasts of the wealthiest black county means little in the long run. As been pointed out, the division of wealth skews the demographics because there are too many in the county that don't fit into that slice of the chart. The slice containing the wealth is diluted when put back in place as pristine subdivisions of mcmansions are included with decades old subdivisions, townhouses, apartments, farms and houses up in the woods of this huge county. That rather large slice of the pie cuts the wealthier salary averages down to half.
Well...FWIW I make over $75k (well save for 2007 but that's due to relocation and a job change but I will make over that this year again) and work in the private sector in a job uninfluenced by government except for those clients of mine who might work for them.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:25 AM

Hey you could always check out this list

Old 02-16-2008, 06:52 PM

29 posts, read 339,683 times
Default Frederick is the one

If you go to Cloverhill, it can get pretty wealthy out there. So my vote is on Frederick.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAbear View Post
If you go to Cloverhill, it can get pretty wealthy out there. So my vote is on Frederick.

Good point out!

Clover Hill, MD Frederick County #35 $90,958
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland