Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 11:02 AM

2 posts, read 3,395 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am moving to Maryland at the end of this month (February 2015). I am moving by myself and with my 6 yrs old son. He is in Kindergarten at Houston, TX.

I want to stay close to my work place as the city is completely new for me! My work place zip code is 21046, but I didn't find any good rating elementary school there.

I am looking for a good rating elementary school near 21046, and also an apartment for rent in that school zone. I know this place is expensive and so I am not looking for a fancy one, just one bedroom apartment in a safe family oriented neighborhood. Also if you have any information for after school childcare, that would be great!

I have only 3 weeks in my hand so please help me to find out a good elementary school and a place to live with my kid. Thanks a lot in advance.

Thanks,
Madhu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM

13,361 posts, read 26,911,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madhabi77 View Post
I want to stay close to my work place as the city is completely new for me! My work place zip code is 21046, but I didn't find any good rating elementary school there.....
I have only 3 weeks in my hand so please help me to find out a good elementary school and a place to live with my kid. Thanks a lot in advance.
You will be working in the south-east side of Columbia, MD. I went through the elementary school rankings in Schooldigger, and I can suggest looking for a place to rent in Clarksville, 21029; Ellicott City, 21042, (Northfield, Ilchester, Centennial, Manor Woods, Waverly); Columbia, 21044, Clemens Crossing Elementary.

Clarksville tends to have expensive apartments, but let us know if you can't find an apartment in the other zips. I don't have apartment experience, but you could search the forum for past threads.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,716,942 times
Quote:
I am looking for a good rating elementary school near 21046...
Here's a map showing your closest choices: http://goo.gl/maps/QCCEp
How much rent can you afford?

Old 02-06-2015, 11:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,395 times
Thanks a lot for the link! I found that the apartment rent is high in that area compared to Houston. I do not know what should be the range for a one bedroom apartment but thinking of a range of $900 - $1200, but can change a little bit depending on a good school zone, a good and safe neighborhood and so.

Old 02-06-2015, 03:31 PM

631 posts, read 1,392,365 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot for the link! I found that the apartment rent is high in that area compared to Houston. I do not know what should be the range for a one bedroom apartment but thinking of a range of $900 - $1200, but can change a little bit depending on a good school zone, a good and safe neighborhood and so.
900 wont find u a place in Columbia. Look at apartments.com and type in the zip code... Most apprtments range from $1150-$1400... you may want to up your budget

Old 02-09-2015, 10:52 AM

386 posts, read 653,578 times
Funny you say 21046 as I live in that zip code currently. The elementry school is Hammond and also one of the best in the state, but you also cannot go wrong in most of Maryland when its concerning schools save fro Baltimore and PG counties (I went to school here for a bit). If you live in kings contrivance there are 2 apartment building complexes beachs farm (spelling) and dominion at eden brook. The latter is where my wife and I lived before buying a house and its very nice with a pool and gym and decent prices/layout but will probably be upwards of 1300-1500 a month for a 2br. Eitherway its a decent area to live, just not my cup of tea being more of a rural guy. But crime is low and there is alot around to do and see. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2015, 12:22 PM

382 posts, read 1,202,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Funny you say 21046 as I live in that zip code currently. The elementry school is Hammond and also one of the best in the state, but you also cannot go wrong in most of Maryland when its concerning schools save fro Baltimore and PG counties (I went to school here for a bit). If you live in kings contrivance there are 2 apartment building complexes beachs farm (spelling) and dominion at eden brook. The latter is where my wife and I lived before buying a house and its very nice with a pool and gym and decent prices/layout but will probably be upwards of 1300-1500 a month for a 2br. Eitherway its a decent area to live, just not my cup of tea being more of a rural guy. But crime is low and there is alot around to do and see. Good luck!
Sounds like a good recommendation. According to its website, Dominion at Eden Brook has 1BR apartments starting at just over $1,000. It also appears to be in the Atholton ES district, one of the higher rated elementary schools in the area.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhart View Post
Sounds like a good recommendation. According to its website, Dominion at Eden Brook has 1BR apartments starting at just over $1,000. It also appears to be in the Atholton ES district, one of the higher rated elementary schools in the area.
Atholton is a good school, but last I checked we were districted for hammond. Could have changed though as a long time ago we were districted for guilford.

Old 02-09-2015, 01:54 PM

382 posts, read 1,202,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
Atholton is a good school, but last I checked we were districted for hammond. Could have changed though as a long time ago we were districted for guilford.
Well that's confusing. I plugged the address into the HCPSS school locator, and it said Atholton. I only checked because zillow was saying Clemens Crossing and that didn't seem right.

Old 02-09-2015, 02:06 PM

Well Id trust your information since you went to HCPSS over mine. Sadly because of the over urbanization of piedmont/central maryland districts change ALOT. If my kids went to elementary school in the late 2000's to now they would have gone to 3 schools from K-5. I know for a fact that 21046 has been districted Guilford when we moved here for a while then to Hammond and now youre saying Atholton which is across 32 but on our side of 29. I guess its the only downside to schools in central Maryland is you could switch schools at any time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland