Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:07 PM

32,088 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
That being said, the combination of historic infrastructure and transportation corridors meant that Western Maryland was always a bit different, more connected, had more people coming and going, than the even more rural areas around us. So we are different, and people around here know the difference, but it is not something an outsider is going to recognize at first glace.
Thanks. I said what I said about Western Maryland because I remember you making this statement.

Quote:
You make a great point about MD, we don't have a solid internal identity. We are a small state. I do think the northern MD east of Sideling Hill is "Greater PA." They eat all sorts of PA Dutchy things I had never heard of, the small agricultural cross road towns have identical architecture to the similar sized places in PA. They vote the same way, etc.
I got what you were saying there but the description still sounds a bit funny to me. Pennsylvanians would never describe themselves as "Greater MD" any more than New Yorkers would describe themselves as "Greater NJ."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 09:24 PM

7,004 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Thanks. I said what I said about Western Maryland because I remember you making this statement.

I got what you were saying there but the description still sounds a bit funny to me. Pennsylvanians would never describe themselves as "Greater MD" any more than New Yorkers would describe themselves as "Greater NJ."

Well, one area is much bigger and more populace than the other. Of course that area is going to get the honorific title, while the smaller areas are going to be "mini-this or that." Cumberland is mini-Pittsburgh. I guess you could say Pittsburgh is super-Cumberland. The first statement is going to make sense to a lot more people than the second, if for no other reason than people are much more familiar with a big city like Pittsburgh than they are with a small city like Cumberland.

Plus, with PA, as we have discussed, it is the hearth land for a culture much bigger than the political borders of the state. PA is the wellspring from which the rest of Midland, and much of Northern Appalachian culture arose. No shame in admitting that. Some of my early ancestors helped survey the Mason-Dixon line. Others thought they lived in Maryland.......but ended up in PA (then subsequently moved back over the new line ) Others have records in both states because they weren't quiet sure where they lived in those early days on the frontier. We have a plurality, if not majority, of Steelers supporters among football fans. I root for the Pirates, it has been great to see them succeed over the last two years.

In short, I would rather my region be thought of as "Greater PA" than as part of Maryland. We have very little in common with the areas downstate, while we are certainly part of northern Appalachia, along with our larger neighbors PA, WV, and even SE Ohio. Just don't mistake us for the "Dutchy" part of PA, that ain't us.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Well, one area is much bigger and more populace than the other. Of course that area is going to get the honorific title, while the smaller areas are going to be "mini-this or that." Cumberland is mini-Pittsburgh. I guess you could say Pittsburgh is super-Cumberland. The first statement is going to make sense to a lot more people than the second, if for no other reason than people are much more familiar with a big city like Pittsburgh than they are with a small city like Cumberland.

Plus, with PA, as we have discussed, it is the hearth land for a culture much bigger than the political borders of the state. PA is the wellspring from which the rest of Midland, and much of Northern Appalachian culture arose. No shame in admitting that. Some of my early ancestors helped survey the Mason-Dixon line. Others thought they lived in Maryland.......but ended up in PA (then subsequently moved back over the new line ) Others have records in both states because they weren't quiet sure where they lived in those early days on the frontier. We have a plurality, if not majority, of Steelers supporters among football fans. I root for the Pirates, it has been great to see them succeed over the last two years.

In short, I would rather my region be thought of as "Greater PA" than as part of Maryland. We have very little in common with the areas downstate, while we are certainly part of northern Appalachia, along with our larger neighbors PA, WV, and even SE Ohio. Just don't mistake us for the "Dutchy" part of PA, that ain't us.
That's fair enough. Interesting background, btw.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:38 PM

2,192 posts, read 2,685,968 times
Various regions of MD have varying identities, as I'm sure can be said for most states.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:04 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,207,331 times
Of course Maryland has its own identity.

The culture of the Eastern Shore is different from that of Metro Baltimore which is different from that of the DMV-Maryland Suburbs which is different from the Western Panhandle which is different from Southern Maryland.

Honestly, it doesn't really surprise me that someone like BJYankee (who's not even from here btw) make such a "brilliant deduction" on Maryland culture.

If one wants Maryland's take on Appalachian culture, we got that.

If one wants Maryland's take on Maritime/Seafaring culture, we got that.

If one wants Maryland's take on Northern and Southern cultures, we got that.

If one wants Maryland's take on Black culture, we got that.

If one wants Maryland's take on International culture, we got that.

If one wants Maryland's take on White-Collar and Blue-Collar culture, we got that.

If one wants to experience America In Miniature, come to Maryland and see how we do it.

If you want to experience quintessential Maryland culture, I'd definitely recommend either Anne Arundel County or Baltimore County. However, practically every county and jurisdiction in Maryland represent the state's culture in their own unique ways. There's plenty of cultural identity to be had here like most states in the country.

Last edited by tcave360; 02-12-2015 at 10:24 PM..

Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
So I got to into a debate with BajanYankee. Apparently Maryland has no identity or basically any culture at all? Do you believe this is true? I obviously disagreed and thought it was pretty absurd but I want other opinions from Marylanders themselves.

What BajanYankee said is in bold:

Most of the DC suburbs, as eschaton said, could be anywhere. They have no identity, particularly Montgomery County.

Southern Maryland has a Southern identity (though you still haven't acknowledged that).

Western Maryland is not particularly unique, and in many threads, people argue it's really an extension of Pennsylvania.

Baltimore claims to be a carbon copy of Philadelphia.

Basically, if you're always trying to use another place's identity as your own, then you don't really have one.
There are many states that have subregions that look similar to other states as well (both culturally and physically), I don't see why BJYankee came to the conclusion that it's a Maryland only thing. And at the end of the day, these states still have their own cultures.

It's not just Maryland, other states such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, New Jersey, Michigan, Texas, Florida, West Virginia, Connecticut, etc. are the same way.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Honestly, it doesn't really surprise me that someone like BJYankee (who's not even from here btw) make such a "brilliant deduction" on Maryland culture.
The word "culture" doesn't even appear in any of statements.

I said that if you are constantly referring to to yourself as "another Long Island," then you don't really have your own identity.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
IMO, the DC area lacks authentic, local culture but the rest of Maryland has distinct, local cultures. Some of those areas are just similar to areas in adjacent states.
The DC area side of Maryland does indeed has an authentic local culture. You can find it mostly amongst the local Black population that's been around here for generations. Even though we identify more with the DC Black culture (especially since a lot of us have family there and some of us are even from DC), we still have a touch of Maryland in us. I know this because I was born and raised here in PG County. We have our own accent, don't like being too far from the water ourselves, our own state of mind, our own contributions to music especially locally, most of us religiously swear by seafood, lacrosse is popular down here, etc.

Prince George's County, Montgomery County, Calvert County, Charles County, and Frederick County, we are all Marylanders at the end of the day, we just identify more with DC culturally and be in our own distinct world, just Marylanders living in the Baltimore region are. Not all of Maryland is monotonous in culture after all.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I enjoy how everyone has forgotten about us over here on the shore! Typical.

But seriously I feel that the eastern shore, as well as western maryland, are just as much a part of this state as the central areas. Perhaps Maryland could be a collection of unique places. I think that's the best part about this state.
Exactly. I like the Eastern Shore btw

I hope you guys in the Lower Eastern Shore don't mind us from the DC-Baltimore part of Maryland overcrowding your towns during Spring Break, Memorial Day, Labor Day, and the whole 3 Months of Summer lol

Old 02-12-2015, 11:37 PM

1,179 posts, read 2,062,979 times
Maryland is a southern state but votes like a northeastern state. It's a state that's on the northern edge of the south. It's in a transition zone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland