Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 04:26 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times

Advertisements

So I got to into a debate with BajanYankee. Apparently Maryland has no identity or basically any culture at all? Do you believe this is true? I obviously disagreed and thought it was pretty absurd but I want other opinions from Marylanders themselves.

What BajanYankee said is in bold:

Most of the DC suburbs, as eschaton said, could be anywhere. They have no identity, particularly Montgomery County.

Southern Maryland has a Southern identity (though you still haven't acknowledged that).

Western Maryland is not particularly unique, and in many threads, people argue it's really an extension of Pennsylvania.

Baltimore claims to be a carbon copy of Philadelphia.

Basically, if you're always trying to use another place's identity as your own, then you don't really have one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 04:55 PM

605 posts, read 669,723 times
Maryland definitely has a unique culture/identity although it won't really be as evident in places such as Montgomery County or Prince Georges County because that area is more tied in with DC than it is with the rest of the state. Also this is the first time I have heard someone mention that Baltimore is trying to become a "carbon copy of Philadelphia" since Baltimore itself does have a very unique identity that has been present ever since the city was founded in 1729. Not to mention the fact that the Eastern Shore of Maryland and the areas along the Chesapeake Bay which are pretty culturally distinct as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:22 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,238,926 times
IMO, the DC area lacks authentic, local culture but the rest of Maryland has distinct, local cultures. Some of those areas are just similar to areas in adjacent states.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:47 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beasley106 View Post
Also this is the first time I have heard someone mention that Baltimore is trying to become a "carbon copy of Philadelphia" since Baltimore itself does have a very unique identity that has been present ever since the city was founded in 1729.
You need to read the several threads comparing Baltimore to Philadelphia, asking whether Baltimore is a Southern city, asking whether Baltimore is a northern city, asking whether Maryland is a Southern state, asking whether Maryland is a Northern state, etc. These threads are always floating around this forum and will.not.die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRedd View Post
It's reminds me of philly more than other city, including philly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paiz View Post
Philly is just a bigger Baltimore......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Interesting, but how do you explain Philadelphia? Many people see it as having a near identical culture as Baltimore, and metro of Philadelphia does dip into Maryland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlst View Post
Besides the Jim Crow factor, Baltimore and D.C. were culturally identical to Philadelphia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nifear View Post
I kept hearing "baltimore is just a smaller version of philly" before I moved, and I still don't understand the comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze View Post
Some people say that Baltimore is like Philadelphia. I see some similarities. But I think if Baltimore fancies itself as being like Philadelphia, then it comes off as a wannabe in comparison, and I say this as a Marylander.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:04 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
IMO, the DC area lacks authentic, local culture but the rest of Maryland has distinct, local cultures. Some of those areas are just similar to areas in adjacent states.
I agree with this (as well as with the poster above).

And for the record, my words were not "Maryland has no identity or basically any culture at all." That's what the OP is saying to be incendiary. I said, in a completely different thread, that some Maryland boosters in the City-vs-City forum were "riding on the coattails" of New Jersey, essentially trying to assume another state's identity as its own. Admittedly, I did say that DC has no identity at all (outside of its AA population).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
We don't care if Maryland is on our radar and we don't care if we're on theirs. We don't care if we have a connection to Maryland. We're fine being New York and standing on our own identity instead of riding on coattails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
"You guys". I'm a DC native and I live in NoVa. I myself would never live in Maryland, not my cup of tea lol.
Quote:
DC is in the same boat. That city has no identity (not one that C-D posters like anyway).
Quote:
I grew up in DC when it did have an identity thank you very much. It wasn't in the same boat 20 years ago, this transient asset and lost of identity happened as of the early 2000s. Don't flatter yourself.

By the way Maryland has a strong identity. Go please say that in the Maryland forum or anyone with common sense and they will lol at you baffled.
Quote:
DC doesn't have a non-Black identity. We all know the city has a Black identity. But that's not an identity *some* people are particularly happy with. If it were, there would not be a constant need for comparison to other places.
Quote:
And how does Maryland not have an identity? Must absurd thing I've heard you see in 5 mins LOL.
Quote:
That depends on what part of Maryland you're talking about.
How does any of that translate into "Maryland basically has no culture or identity at all"?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:10 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Annapolis and Bay culture are uniquely MD. You could say we share it with VA, but we are the majority partner, I think.

As for the other regions in MD......pretty much all of them touch another state, out my way we border 3 PA counties along the Mason-Dixon, 3 WV counties along the winding Potomac, and share two small borders with other MD counties. No surprise our culture is very similar to SW PA and Northern WV.

That being said, the combination of historic infrastructure and transportation corridors meant that Western Maryland was always a bit different, more connected, had more people coming and going, than the even more rural areas around us. So we are different, and people around here know the difference, but it is not something an outsider is going to recognize at first glace.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
I agree with this (as well as with the poster above).

And for the record, my words were not "Maryland has no identity or basically any culture at all." That's what the OP is saying to be incendiary. I said, in a completely different thread, that some Maryland boosters in the City-vs-City forum were "riding on the coattails" of New Jersey, essentially trying to assume another state's identity as its own. Admittedly, I did say that DC has no identity at all (outside of its AA population).

How does any of that translate into "Maryland basically has no culture or identity at all"?
Lol.

"Basically, if you're always trying to use another place's identity as your own, then you don't really have one."

Old 02-12-2015, 08:20 PM

789 posts, read 1,096,184 times
I enjoy how everyone has forgotten about us over here on the shore! Typical.

But seriously I feel that the eastern shore, as well as western maryland, are just as much a part of this state as the central areas. Perhaps Maryland could be a collection of unique places. I think that's the best part about this state.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:26 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
I enjoy how everyone has forgotten about us over here on the shore! Typical.

But seriously I feel that the eastern shore, as well as western maryland, are just as much a part of this state as the central areas. Perhaps Maryland could be a collection of unique places. I think that's the best part about this state.
Hey now!

Quote:
Annapolis and Bay culture are uniquely MD
I may not have said "Eastern Shore" but I meant you guys and the places left on the Western Shore where the water culture still exists.

Pretty much every other area "feels" like somewhere else. Your part of Maryland feels iconic and unique.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
Hey now!

I may not have said "Eastern Shore" but I meant you guys and the places left on the Western Shore where the water culture still exists.

Pretty much every other area "feels" like somewhere else. Your part of Maryland feels iconic and unique.
I think PG county is very unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland