Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2015, 10:59 AM

545 posts, read 1,099,993 times

Advertisements

I notice that Maryland has 'cities', 'census designated places', 'unincorporated area', and all of that. what is the difference between the three in terms of how they operate on a political and economic level?? I'm from NJ and we simply have cities or townships, so I'm confused by this. And is it better for a place to be 'incorporated' as opposed to 'unincorporated'? How will these different local gov't structures affect each area in the future? Is Hagerstown better off than Owings Mills because Hagerstown is a "city" with it's own gov't while Owings MIlls is "unincorporated"? Or will a places growth have nothing to do with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
MD has incorporated Towns, 158 (or 157). Most have a form of elected government with a Mayor and elected Council (the names will vary a bit, Annapolis calls Council members Aldermen).

A municipality generally has more control over its destiny. Most have control over Planning and Zoning separate from the surrounding County (this doesn't apply in parts of Prince George's and Montgomery Counties) and can have its own Police Department, has bonding authority, etc.

Census designated places, let's say Silver Spring in Montgomery County, are just that. Although people may say "city of Silver Spring" it isn't, it's an unincorporated population center in Montgomery County. County Zoning (well, maybe not, it may be under the MD National Capital Park and Planning Commission for that) controls development, although Silver Spring may have an area plan. Police services are provided by the County as part of the patrol area.

School systems in MD are County based, unlike New Jersey.

This is as good as any explanation:

List of incorporated places in Maryland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Maryland Towns & Cities - Municipalities (by name)

Town Codes

Old 03-06-2015, 11:16 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
I notice that Maryland has 'cities', 'census designated places', 'unincorporated area', and all of that. what is the difference between the three in terms of how they operate on a political and economic level?? I'm from NJ and we simply have cities or townships, so I'm confused by this. And is it better for a place to be 'incorporated' as opposed to 'unincorporated'? How will these different local gov't structures affect each area in the future? Is Hagerstown better off than Owings Mills because Hagerstown is a "city" with it's own gov't while Owings MIlls is "unincorporated"? Or will a places growth have nothing to do with this?
NJ has boroughs as well.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:02 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaq View Post
Is Hagerstown better off than Owings Mills because Hagerstown is a "city" with it's own gov't while Owings MIlls is "unincorporated"? Or will a places growth have nothing to do with this?
People in the incorprated areas will generally pay higher taxes than those in unincorporated areas. It cost more to fund the police department, mayor and city council.

The growth rate is independent, related to economic conditions, health of the job market, etc. .

Old 03-06-2015, 12:18 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,019,885 times
And of course there are COUNTY governments. An UNincorporated area is still in/under/within a country government jurisdiction or structure. And even cities are within counties, but just with their own governing structure.

For example. you may live in a city. But the city may say if you need a permit for something...you get it from the county. So which entity governs what may depend on what services the state has said they can oversee/manage r provide -- or what the two areas have worked out between them. Zoning is another area where who governs what might come into play. Or if you have no local police or fire department, then the county is your 'default' public safety agency.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,118 times
Just to add, in more rural counties, like those in western MD and the eastern shore, living within a municipality guarantees certain services that are either more expensive, lower quality, or straight up unavailable outside the town limits.

Trash pickup, recycling, snow plows, internet, cable, electric provider, water & sewer, stormwater, etc. is what I'm getting at. You can't get some of these services if you live in unincorporated Worcester County, for instance, without either paying a premium or accepting a lower quality of service. So it tends to even out tax-wise in the end. Plus municipalities almost always see their roads plowed first, electricity restored, and roads repaved before unincorporated areas. Just things to consider.

Old 03-06-2015, 12:51 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Most of the municipal elected officials serve either unpaid or are paid a very nominal sum. Baltimore City is an outlier there.

Old 03-06-2015, 03:32 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Just to add, in more rural counties, like those in western MD and the eastern shore, living within a municipality guarantees certain services that are either more expensive, lower quality, or straight up unavailable outside the town limits.

Trash pickup, recycling, snow plows, internet, cable, electric provider, water & sewer, stormwater, etc. is what I'm getting at. You can't get some of these services if you live in unincorporated Worcester County, for instance, without either paying a premium or accepting a lower quality of service. So it tends to even out tax-wise in the end. Plus municipalities almost always see their roads plowed first, electricity restored, and roads repaved before unincorporated areas. Just things to consider.
I live in Ocean Pines. Technically part of Berlin but we don't pay city taxes to Berlin like in the town limits. We do have an HOA though but I look at it like city taxes for the town of Ocean Pines as we have a police department and two fire stations. I think, though, trash is included in Berlin's taxes but we pay extra (about 200/year) and our water is quite pricey as well.

Come to think about it I wonder what the actual benefit is of Ocean Pines being a part of Berlin as we have our own post office as well. Perhaps just old zoning as Berlin covers a pretty large area.

In the past, when my parent's lived in West Ocean City we had an Ocean City address but didn't pay taxes into the town as we were west of the bridge. I don't know what they had to pay extra for services though.

Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 AM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post

This.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland