Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 07:44 AM

96 posts, read 435,900 times

Advertisements

OK, People! I need your honest advice.

I thought I had decided on focusing my relocation search (due to husband's job in DC) to Howard County, MD...BUT I am hearing that the taxes are higher her and Northern VA is the job magnet area...SO,

Please send me your pros and cons to liviing in these places. My criteria is a family friendly affordable neighborhood with excellent schools, great shopping and pleasant commute by public transportation to DOJ in DC. Initially may rent first until I know the area...but possibly willing to buy...we are working on 125,000 income to start...I would like to move by end of summer but need to know what area so I can visit school before June!!

So go at it ....I need your help!! I really appreciate your honesty...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 08:16 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,485 times
I don't know a lot about NVA, but from what I hear from people who work there, the traffic is horrendous.
From what it sounds like, the Ellicott City/Elkridge area fits the bill prefectly. It's an easy trip to the train station, for the commute to DC. Check out the 21043 zip code for Ellicott City, or 21075 for Elkridge- but for Elkridge you'd probably want the area closer to rte103, instead of off of rte 1, which is not as nice. I'd recommend taking a drive down rte103 (exit 4 W) off rte 100- you'll pass some nice Elkridge neighborhoods immediately on the right, and very shortly you'll be in Ellicott City. If you continue on, you'll hit one of my favorite shopping centers- it has a Target, Kohls, Barnes and Noble, Old Navy, Michaels, Staples, Outback, Carrabas and Safeway- just to name a few.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:33 AM

8 posts, read 38,912 times
Default Howard County a Plus

I would stay with Howard County;The schools are definitely top notch. The previous post suggests Elkridge and Ellicott City, I would also suggest surrounding areas in Columbia. I would not suggest Northern Virginia. The crime rate is higher and the traffic is outrageous. Good luck!

Old 01-16-2008, 12:43 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,274 times
Honestly, the schools are great in both locations so I don't think you can go wrong there. Keep in mind that parts of Nova as well as Montgomery and PG in Maryland have magnet school programs. So if you're looking at a list of top schools, those at the top might be the special science and technology schools or other schools that you have to test into. Howard does not have this.

Shopping is also great for both areas but Howard has a more suburban feel. You'll find what you need here but the stores are less upscale than what you would find in Fairfax, with everything the Tysons area has to offer. The Nova area is more established, has more people (and traffic) and is very cosmopolitan. Even though Howard can have commuter traffic congestion, it's fairly problem-free other times. Depending on the area, traffic in Nova can be bad at any time.

Since you husband is already living in the area, listening to his coworkers might be your best bet. They make the commute and know the area first-hand. Have your husband monitor the traffic reports, if he isn't already. Both areas would be great for kids with rec sports programs and any activity you could want. Finding an affordable area isn't going to be easy either place. But even if you rent for a year in one location, you could still change your mind when you want to buy, once you get to know the area. Young children make that change pretty easily.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM

96 posts, read 435,900 times
Thanks-
I noticed that when we went food shopping the other day in VA, taxes were 9%...5% sales and 4% something else...What is it like in MD?? What about car insurance...is it true there are more car crimes? (Someone said that from VA)

Old 01-16-2008, 02:41 PM

382 posts, read 1,205,274 times
Maryland's sales tax just went up to 6%, the first increase in 30 years. Food items are not taxed.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,485 times
About car insurance in Howard County, my husband and I pay $145 a month, for a 2008 CRV, and an 2003 Acura TL something(considered a luxury car) and the two of us. So, of course it's based on your own driving record, but the area is considered very low risk for car theft, so the rates are pretty good.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:56 AM

8 posts, read 33,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAFAMILIY View Post
Thanks-
I noticed that when we went food shopping the other day in VA, taxes were 9%...5% sales and 4% something else...What is it like in MD?? What about car insurance...is it true there are more car crimes? (Someone said that from VA)
Actually, VA's regular sales tax is 5%, but sales tax on certain groceries is 4%. Since supermarkets sell items taxed at the different rates, your receipts will show lines for the sales tax charged on the "5%" items and the sales tax charged on the "4%" items. So any one item will have either a 5% or a 4% sales tax in Virginia, but not 9%.

Back to your original question... Fairfax County is closer to DC, so that could be a plus in that direction. But housing is more expensive in Fairfax than Howard, so that would be a plus for Howard.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:55 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,867,479 times
I'm a DOJ veteran. If you choose Howard County, your husband really needs to have stable working hours. The MARC trains aren't that flexible in that the last train leaves at 7:30pm or so and it might take 30 minutes to get to union station if the metro is running slow.

I typically had matters pop up at the last moment requiring me to stay late periodically and would have been stuck in DC if I was dependent on the MARC. Because of this, I rarely met people who lived in Howard County or depended on the MARC in my group.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:52 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,928,608 times
Va doesn't have a piggyback income tax; NoVA has better public transportation and is the economic engine of the DC area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland