Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2015, 06:34 AM

44,942 posts, read 59,929,483 times

Advertisements

This goes back to another thread. Keep in mind that Calvert County was not one of the Counties that fell under the "Rain Tax" coverage originally. And, contrary to what one Commissioner says, this fee is a de facto "Rain Tax". He is likely the least effective County Commissioner we've had here in 30 years. Wait, 2nd least effective.

Every property owner in the State will be having these fees levied on them within the next two years.

Calvert commissioners face tough call on whether to implement new stormwater fee -- SoMdNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2015, 06:57 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,655,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This goes back to another thread. Keep in mind that Calvert County was not one of the Counties that fell under the "Rain Tax" coverage originally. And, contrary to what one Commissioner says, this fee is a de facto "Rain Tax". He is likely the least effective County Commissioner we've had here in 30 years. Wait, 2nd least effective.

Every property owner in the State will be having these fees levied on them within the next two years.

Calvert commissioners face tough call on whether to implement new stormwater fee -- SoMdNews.com
So does Calvert now have skin in the game because of Hogan's repeal of the original "rain tax" (which only affected the 9 largest counties in the state)? Or is this a separate, local responsibility that also happens to deal with stormwater management?

Old 04-22-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
So does Calvert now have skin in the game because of Hogan's repeal of the original "rain tax" (which only affected the 9 largest counties in the state)? Or is this a separate, local responsibility that also happens to deal with stormwater management?
Everywhere has "skin in the game" and always have. That's what people didn't understand when they were kicking the Rain Tax around. That was just a smokescreen, as it were.

The WIPs impact every single jurisdiction in the State from the smallest wide spot in the road with a house to the largest City.

The Rain Tax mandated collection from those 9 jurisdictions, everyone else was told "figure out how you're going to pay for it".

While the Rain Tax was ostensibly an EPA edict PlanMD was going to require some form of it anyway.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Everywhere has "skin in the game" and always have. That's what people didn't understand when they were kicking the Rain Tax around. That was just a smokescreen, as it were.

The WIPs impact every single jurisdiction in the State from the smallest wide spot in the road with a house to the largest City.

The Rain Tax mandated collection from those 9 jurisdictions, everyone else was told "figure out how you're going to pay for it".

While the Rain Tax was ostensibly an EPA edict PlanMD was going to require some form of it anyway.
Ah, that makes sense. It was always odd to have the distinction about mandating how the funds were collected. Not sure why the state felt the need to originally require that the 9 largest counties impose a direct tax regarding stormwater management. I say if a county prefers to pay for it out of general funds and cut elsewhere in their budget, then that should be their prerogative. Glad Hogan brought about that change in the law.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:38 AM

789 posts, read 1,086,157 times
Quote:
I say if a county prefers to pay for it out of general funds and cut elsewhere in their budget, then that should be their prerogative.
While I absolutely agree with you, I can certainly understand O'Malley's sentiment at the time. Of those large counties, I can only think of two that actually fund and follow environmental regs from the state, at least historically. Anything outside of Montgomery and AA county was pretty much ignoring a lot of regs for a long time (I'm looking at you Charles County). From a "how do we get everyone to actually do this" standpoint, the rain tax mandate made sense. Hogan ran on repealing the 'tax', not the mandate. They are very different. Either way we are all paying for it.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
While I absolutely agree with you, I can certainly understand O'Malley's sentiment at the time. Of those large counties, I can only think of two that actually fund and follow environmental regs from the state, at least historically. Anything outside of Montgomery and AA county was pretty much ignoring a lot of regs for a long time (I'm looking at you Charles County). From a "how do we get everyone to actually do this" standpoint, the rain tax mandate made sense. Hogan ran on repealing the 'tax', not the mandate. They are very different. Either way we are all paying for it.
Calvert has been pretty good (those damned environmentalist Republicans) at following things. There were some issues 30 years ago when the Critical Areas laws went into effect. The then County Commissioners (I'd mention they were all Democrats but that would be rude) thought that the law was a joke.

I was at a meeting with the Critical Areas Commission back then when Calvert was there. What the then Chair, Solomon Liss, said and did to them was ugly to watch. Calvert fell into line after that.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Good point about not trusting the counties to actually follow through with providing their chunk of funding. I'm guessing the feds would fine the state as whole instead of just the offending county? If so, I definitely see O'Malley's viewpoint, especially considering the poor economic climate at the time.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:58 AM

789 posts, read 1,086,157 times
Quote:
Good point about not trusting the counties to actually follow through with providing their chunk of funding. I'm guessing the feds would fine the state as whole instead of just the offending county? If so, I definitely see O'Malley's viewpoint, especially considering the poor economic climate at the time.
Yes the state would be fined since it's their permit (which is then passed down through MS4 permits in each respective county). If only O'Malley tried telling us all exactly what would happen and why he was doing this mandate. Then we might support it, or at least support it more. That guy is a joke. Glad he's gone and glad the mandate is gone. But the fees will have a legacy.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:07 AM

167 posts, read 424,727 times
Quote:
If only O'Malley tried telling us all exactly what would happen and why he was doing this mandate.
It would not have mattered. No one does homework these days. Note how popular the "rain tax" label became, despite living in the age of the internet where nearly everything that could be known is available within a few minutes after typing words in a search engine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland