Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 06:44 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I voted Republican for the first time in my life and this was the reason. Unfortunately the trade off is I am now somehow aligned with people like Trace and that's an uncomfortable feeling.

The term strawman certainly applies. Not sure why he felt the need to jump on bufflove so hard for simply questioning where the cuts will be applied. He's correct, cutting taxes is the easy part. Managing and applying the cut is the hard part. But that's what conservatives seem to do. They are an angry, vocal bunch who tend to pick fights when there is no fight to be picked. Buff asked a legit question, a question me and others certainly have as well. For that he gets the same tired lecture from a conservative.

But I do support this Governor for sure.
I wonder, do you have the same level of concern when Democrats say that conservatives have a "war on women" are "anti-science", "hate the poor," "want to hurt school children," etc.

It's too bad liberals never had any questions for the Democrats they voted for when it came to fee increase after tax increase after fee increase. There's always one standard for people like Hogan and another for failed Democrats who blow $200M on things like an Obamacare exchange. Not many questions from bufflove and you about that, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 10:17 AM

687 posts, read 915,816 times
I'm as conservative as any white guy who actually works for a living and doesn't take a dime from welfare, but the toll booths are already down to 1, sometimes 2 persons working the booth (And you can't go lower than 1 person at any given time), so I don't know how Hogan's idea will help with efficiencies.

It'll certainly help those of us bearing the tax burden though.

But at this point I will get an E-Z pass since it is so much cheaper. Before it was a wash whether I'd use a toll in any given month so it made sense just to pay cash if and when needed.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:36 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
I wonder, do you have the same level of concern when Democrats say that conservatives have a "war on women" are "anti-science", "hate the poor," "want to hurt school children," etc.

It's too bad liberals never had any questions for the Democrats they voted for when it came to fee increase after tax increase after fee increase. There's always one standard for people like Hogan and another for failed Democrats who blow $200M on things like an Obamacare exchange. Not many questions from bufflove and you about that, either.
I care deeply about the issues on both sides. I was concerned enough about the tax burden we pay, and have commented on it here regularly in the past, that I voted Republican for the first time as I said.

I just don't jump on a conservative, peppering him with insulting questions about background checks for gun registration and making idiotic claims such as he must not be bothered when a child shoots his brother with daddy's gun, when he simply says he likes to take his rifle to the shooting range.

And that's the difference between you and me.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 05-16-2015 at 02:50 PM..

Old 05-21-2015, 01:16 PM

318 posts, read 762,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
cutting taxes is the easy part. Managing and applying the cut is the hard part.
In this case I don't think it will be so difficult. O'Malley was the one who raised the tolls to their astronomical prices. It's not as if these prices have been the norm. There was no need or reason to do so, he just did it because that is what O'Malley does. Same with the monthly EZ Pass maintenance fee.

Hogan reduced the senseless fee, but it is still higher than what it was before O'Malley raised them.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:25 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
The tolls were raised to raise the amount of revenue coming in. But when the tolls are cut it will cut the amount of revenue coming in. Unless there is a replacement revenue source found cuts will have to be made in expenses. g to do with it

'senseless' has nothing to do with it

Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
The tolls were raised to raise the amount of revenue coming in. But when the tolls are cut it will cut the amount of revenue coming in. Unless there is a replacement revenue source found cuts will have to be made in expenses. g to do with it

'senseless' has nothing to do with it

What I was trying to say was that I don't believe there was an adequate justification to raise the tolls in the first place.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:43 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Not enough money coming in
Budget has to be balanced
Tolls are an easy way to gain revenue that doesn't directly impact a vital voting block
What other justification do you expect?

Old 05-24-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Not enough money coming in
Budget has to be balanced
Tolls are an easy way to gain revenue that doesn't directly impact a vital voting block
What other justification do you expect?

Maryland is one of the most taxed states in the U.S. -- there is plenty of money coming in. Fivolous taxes for frivolous spending by our former governor. Looks like Hogan is going to make sure tax money is spent appropriately so we are able to lower taxes.

I still believe that MDTA toll money is not part of the general state fund, meaning MDTA money can only be spent where MDTA wants it to. That was the case for the longest -- don't know if that has changed or not.

Old 05-24-2015, 02:05 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Well, you leftists are more than a bit tiring. We had 43 consecutive tax and fee increases under the regime you inflicted on us. Now that there's new leadership that undoes some of the havoc you wreaked on the taxpayer, we have the predictable pot shots and whining. Sour grapes from sore losers. I only wish you got to keep the higher tolls you apparently wish for so fervently.

And, there is nothing stopping you from paying more taxes and fees if you feel you're not contributing enough. Feel free.

So anyone who disagrees with you is a "leftist" ,lol ,cool!When I vote it's for the best person available so you can shove it . As for the tax (monthly fee) I'm glade it is gone but it didn't matter to me ,see we don'y use the EZ pass alot but when we do we go north up 95 thru PA and NJ and up to MA and Vermont while it does save some money it save even more time ,a trip to the Berkshire in MA use to take 8 hours now and I have done this 3 times with the EZ pass I do it in 6 1/2 hours to me anyway it's time not money,........oh wait does that make me a communist ???

Old 05-24-2015, 06:38 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
So anyone who disagrees with you is a "leftist" ,lol ,cool!When I vote it's for the best person available so you can shove it . As for the tax (monthly fee) I'm glade it is gone but it didn't matter to me ,see we don'y use the EZ pass alot but when we do we go north up 95 thru PA and NJ and up to MA and Vermont while it does save some money it save even more time ,a trip to the Berkshire in MA use to take 8 hours now and I have done this 3 times with the EZ pass I do it in 6 1/2 hours to me anyway it's time not money,........oh wait does that make me a communist ???
No, it makes you a voter who is dumb enough to vote for repeated tax and fee increases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland