Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2015, 05:40 AM

33 posts, read 46,925 times

Advertisements

I am pretty much an average citizen with the exception of serving 10 years in the Navy. I moved here last year and was very disappointed to learn about the strict/complex laws which must be navigated to obtain a concealed carry permit (wear and carry). So I decided to wait until I was settled to start the process.

I recently read about the federal ruling in DC…

Federal judge again rules key part of new D.C. gun law unconstitutional - The Washington Post

This inspired me to start the process again. I want to say that I am not a “gun aficionado”. I have owned a handgun in the past (when I was in the Navy); I really enjoyed going to the range with friends and the pride of exercising the rights I was defending. My motivation now is primarily to live as free and independent as I can…exercise my 2nd amendment right…

“…the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed…”
-Bill of Rights-

From what I can read on the MDSP website, the following is a basic outline of the process:
1) get fingerprinted by a 3rd party ($ ??)
2) fill out HQL training exemption application, submit, and go through a background check
3) get HQL training exemption approval, fill out HQL application and submit ($50)
4) go through another background check and get HQL approval
5) go to gun shop and go through another background check ($$)
6) FINALLY buy a handgun ($$$$)
7) enroll in concealed carry training course ($??), and successfully complete training
8) fill out “Wear and Carry Permit”, submit ($75), and go through a background check
9) have my personal reasons for acquiring a “Wear and Carry Permit” scrutinized by the state
10) have my personal reasons for acquiring a “Wear and Carry Permit” denied by the state
11) appeal decision
12) appeal denied
13) I’ll have a HQL and a gun but no Maryland “Wear and Carry Permit”
14) final result: a sad veteran

Now to my questions…
Does my outline seem accurate?
Is there somewhere I can go and talk about the entire process with a knowledgeable person? (HQL application, HQL training exemption, and concealed carry permit) OR somewhere to get help filling out the applications? (I’m thinking of my local police station?)
Is the application process 100% on-line?
Has anyone on here gone through this process? How long did it take? Did you hit any roadblocks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 05:45 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Yep, you've outlined it pretty well.

DO NOT go to a police station for an explanation. The best place would be a local gun shop (not Dick's/Walmart). Bass Pro in Linthicum might be ok.

When I did it you had to do paper submissions.

Approximately 3 months.

Denied due to documented threats having ceased.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:54 AM

That is really sad. I am sorry you were denied, I truly am.

Anyone else?

Last edited by MD Vet.; 05-19-2015 at 06:22 AM..

Old 05-19-2015, 09:56 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Getting a carry permit in MD is pretty much impossible unless you can prove a valid threat. Even then it is difficult. The only people I have known to get them have been sponsored by employers with VERY deep pockets and lots of political pull.

There was an attempt a few years back to change the wording of the law to put the onus on the MSP to show cause why a permit would not be issued instead of making the applicant justify the need to have the permit. The attempt went Nowhere.

If you need to ask on a forum about the process I doubt you will be able to get a permit.

Remember this state is losing a major employer because of it's stance on guns. The state was told that the new laws would cause the company to move and the law was passed anyway. So Beretta is moving to Tennessee.

Several folks I know enjoy range shooting (pistols and long guns) None have carry permits. You don't need a carry permit to shoot on an established range.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post

If you need to ask on a forum about the process I doubt you will be able to get a permit.
HA, thanks dad.
I know it's kinda silly to ask on here...but it was on my mind early that morning and it was a quick/easy resource to tap into. Plus I like to hear other people's opinions and whatnot.

Thanks for your input

Old 05-21-2015, 01:33 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,092,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Vet. View Post
HA, thanks dad.
I know it's kinda silly to ask on here...but it was on my mind early that morning and it was a quick/easy resource to tap into. Plus I like to hear other people's opinions and whatnot.

Thanks for your input
Not a problem. My point was that anyone who has a snowballs chance of getting a carry permit has resources at high enough levels of power that he doesn't have to ask about how to get it :-)

I don't mind someone asking for opinions here but asking for and expecting to get reasonable tips on how to acquire one of the rare and elusive carry permits isn't reasonable. If someone here actually has one I doubt they would admit to how they got it (or that they even had it :-))

Old 05-21-2015, 02:59 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,084,949 times
Find the person that has to make the decision on whether or not you get the permit and, if he or she is running for political office, send him or her a sizeable donation. Make sure the timing is right so that the donation arrives about the same time as the application arrives.

Cynical, but probably true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: