Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 09:02 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It doesn't sound paranoid to me. The guy who was running in my direction late one evening was targeting me. He didn't just happen to be going from point A to point B.
Your experience reminds me of experience of a friend of mine that he related to me. He moved to Virginia and carries now all the time. He was out walking his big dog, Lucas, one day in his (nice BTW) suburban Maryland neighborhood. Lucas always liked to cut through the block they were walking around and so was out of site when this occurred. Three guys were standing down at the corner talking. As my friend approached, they split up, one walked to the opposite side of the street and started walking his direction. After a bit, the remaining two started walking towards him on his side of the street. He said the hair just stood up on his neck. The guy on the opposite side walked past him then crossed the street behind him and turned to start walking up behind him. He could see they had him sandwiched and was trying to plan what to do. He’s actually a strong, built guy but it was 3:1.

He had forgotten about Lucas who just happened to walk up and rejoin him right then. Lucas immediately knew something wasn’t right and the hair went up on his back and he started walking real rigid like towards the pair, growling the whole time. Ha, ha! Needless to say, all three abruptly did a 180 instead of facing my friend’s 110 lb rottie. Sometimes things do work out.....just can’t carry a rottie in your pocket all the time though. It was pretty cool how quickly Lucas realized things were bad. My friend said he didn’t say anything to him at all, didn’t even have time to do so, Lucas just immediately surmised the situation and took over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 02:32 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
Your experience reminds me of experience of a friend of mine that he related to me. He moved to Virginia and carries now all the time. He was out walking his big dog, Lucas, one day in his (nice BTW) suburban Maryland neighborhood. Lucas always liked to cut through the block they were walking around and so was out of site when this occurred. Three guys were standing down at the corner talking. As my friend approached, they split up, one walked to the opposite side of the street and started walking his direction. After a bit, the remaining two started walking towards him on his side of the street. He said the hair just stood up on his neck. The guy on the opposite side walked past him then crossed the street behind him and turned to start walking up behind him. He could see they had him sandwiched and was trying to plan what to do. He’s actually a strong, built guy but it was 3:1.

He had forgotten about Lucas who just happened to walk up and rejoin him right then. Lucas immediately knew something wasn’t right and the hair went up on his back and he started walking real rigid like towards the pair, growling the whole time. Ha, ha! Needless to say, all three abruptly did a 180 instead of facing my friend’s 110 lb rottie. Sometimes things do work out.....just can’t carry a rottie in your pocket all the time though. It was pretty cool how quickly Lucas realized things were bad. My friend said he didn’t say anything to him at all, didn’t even have time to do so, Lucas just immediately surmised the situation and took over.
Good dog! I'm not sure how they know, but they do.

My friend used to have a neurotic Doberman. He had been abused when he was a puppy. She had to put him in the bedroom when people visited, but he loved me. He'd wag his whole body when I walked through the door. Thor would have protected me. Good puppy. Who's a good dog? You are!

I can't begin to describe the few seconds that you have before something bad is going to happen. You know it's going to happen, and you don't know how bad it's going to be.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:26 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
"Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:"

This word MAY means that the MSP gets to decide if they want to issue you a permit when you apply. A couple years back theer was an attempt to have it changed to SHALL.

It failed. So just because you meet the criteria listed does not mean you will get a permit. You need to prove (to the MSPs satisfaction) that you have a NEED to carry, not that you WANT to carry.

So the answer is yes, Marylanders are satisfied with the current carry laws or trhey would have been changed

So you agree with Md legislatures NOT complying to the Constitution.

"
The Bill of Rights says:
“…the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed…”
The definition of “infringe”
To act so as to limit or undermine (something); encroach on.
Synonyms: restrict, limit, curb, check, encroach on"

A permit is NOT required to exercise ones "freedoms" under the Constitution.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am not a gun owner but I have a number of friends who are and they seem to have little problem getting a permit. None of them NEED the gun, they use them to take to the range or fire in their fields, hunting and home protection.

But yes carrying a concealed gun will have an entirely different set of requirements. And sorry, I'm OK with that. And so are most people in this region This isn't the wild west. Or Georgia. We don't like concealed guns, that does not mean we aren't fine if you want one for home protection or to take to the range.

"None of them NEED the gun,"

How do you know?

" We don't like concealed guns,"

How gives a crap WHAT you DON'T like.

The Constitution says OTHERWISE but you don't care about that.

"The Bill of Rights says:
Synonyms: restrict, limit, curb, check, encroach on"

Old 04-19-2019, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Vet. View Post
Are Marylanders really satisfied with the wear and carry law?
Have you read the list of people who are "allowed" to carry a gun?

Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:
1. Has not been convicted of a felony or a misdemeanor for which a sentence of imprisonment for more than one year has been imposed; or convicted of a criminal offense for which you could have been sentenced to more than 2 years incarceration.
2. Has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;
3. Is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless under legitimate medical direction;
4. Based on an investigation, has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person’s possession of a handgun a danger to the person or others;
5. Has a good and substantial reason (see below) to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against danger.
6. As of October 1, 2013, has successfully completed the Maryland State Police approved firearms training course within 2 year prior to submitting the original or renewal application.
What constitutes a good and substantial reason? Based on the guidance provided by the Maryland Public Safety Code, handgun permits may be issued to applicants based on the following circumstances:
A. Owner or employee of a business. You must submit photocopies of the Trader's, Business or Narcotics License or Articles of Incorporation to support Business ownership or as an authorized employee. You must also submit photocopies of six random deposit slips or deposits within a year for the business or a letter from the bank attesting that you have a business account. If you are an employee, you must submit a letter from your employer on the business letter head, verifying your employment and detailing the requirement or desire from the owner that you be armed.
B. Correctional Officers. Must submit verification of employment and documentation of threats and/or assaults (ie., police reports, facility incident reports, and intelligence reports).
C. Former Police Officers. If you have resigned or have retired, you must provide a photocopy of your retired I.D. card (front and back) and produce a letter from your former agency advising that you resigned/retired in good standing, your official resignation/retirement date and how many years of service. NOTE: Permits are issued based on the "immediacy" of the application and years of service.
D. Private Detective/Security Guard/Special Police/Armored Car Guards. All applicants (unless exempt from training) who are employed as Private Detectives, Security Guards, Special Police Officers and Armored Car Guards must submit firearms qualification score sheet obtained from a Maryland State Police Certified Handgun Instructor on the State Police form. A letter from the employing agency which verifies employment and position, the ownership of the weapon, and location where the weapon will be stored when off duty is also required. Click here for a sample letter
E. Personal Protection. There must be documented evidence of recent threats, robberies, and/or assaults, supported by official police reports or notarized statements from witnesses.

The short version (an easy if-than statement):
If you are a completely average law abiding Marylander than you are not capable of obtaining a permit.

The Bill of Rights says:
Synonyms: restrict, limit, curb, check, encroach on

What do you think about this?

You should NOT need to get and pay for and take a course you are required to in order to exercise your RIGHT to Keep and bear arms. "shall NOT be infringed".

EVERY gun law should be applied to the 1st amendment as it applied to the 2nd.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
"Wear and Carry Permits may be issued to any adult (18 years of age or over) who meets the following criteria:"

This word MAY means that the MSP gets to decide if they want to issue you a permit when you apply. A couple years back theer was an attempt to have it changed to SHALL.

It failed. So just because you meet the criteria listed does not mean you will get a permit. You need to prove (to the MSPs satisfaction) that you have a NEED to carry, not that you WANT to carry.

So the answer is yes, Marylanders are satisfied with the current carry laws or trhey would have been changed
Many sate have "shall be" which means it WILL be issued unless PROVEN why it should NOT be issued.

" Marylanders are satisfied with the current carry laws or trhey would have been changed" OR they move KNOWING MD is a very liberal run state and will NEVER be changed.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
I am not a gun owner but I have a number of friends who are and they seem to have little problem getting a permit. None of them NEED the gun, they use them to take to the range or fire in their fields, hunting and home protection.

But yes carrying a concealed gun will have an entirely different set of requirements. And sorry, I'm OK with that. And so are most people in this region This isn't the wild west. Or Georgia. We don't like concealed guns, that does not mean we aren't fine if you want one for home protection or to take to the range.
Concealed Carry Permits are VERY had to get.

I has friend who had CCP for DECADES, he owned 3 businesses and carried large amounts of money, and was DENIED several times to renew his permit. It took a lawyer to finally get it renewed.

Old 04-19-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Well don't you think it's kind of obvious for someone who is carrying cash all the time to be a bigger target than you with your kids at the zoo?
"Well don't you think it's kind of obvious for someone who is carrying cash all the time to be a bigger target than you with your kids at the zoo?"

Looks like MD is NOT as safe as you think it is.
"32. MarylandFirearm deaths per 100,000 people: 11.8 per 100,000
  • Total firearm deaths 2016: 707 (suicides: 251, homicides: 436)
  • Violent crime rate: 472.0 per 100,000 (11th highest)
  • Permit required to carry handgun: Yes
  • Poverty rate: 9.7% (3rd lowest)
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-up/359395002/

Most people who carry cash do NOT expose they are carrying. They are NOT that STUPID!

"The National Zoo’s proposed fences and checkpoints are “security theater”

"The Smithsonian has plans to install security checkpoints at the National Zoo and reduce the number of pedestrian entrances from 13 to three, according to reporting by the Washington Business Journal. Adding more barriers will cut the Zoo off from the rest of the park and community. It shouldn't add more security simply because other Smithsonian buildings have done so. One of the great things about the National Zoo is that it is integrated into Rock Creek Park and the Woodley Park and Adams Morgan neighborhoods. Visitors can stroll freely in and out, and runners can pass through the Zoo property during open hours. The proposed security changes would ruin this experience and make the Zoo a less inviting and less vibrant place"

Looks like they know MORE then you do.

Last edited by Quick Enough; 04-19-2019 at 03:00 PM..

Old 05-18-2019, 03:53 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
I suspect that had this man been carrying, this story would have turned out completely different.

https://www.gofundme.com/appalachian...u-6A9w3MdyOys4

Old 05-18-2019, 07:22 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Concealed Carry Permits are VERY had to get.

I has friend who had CCP for DECADES, he owned 3 businesses and carried large amounts of money, and was DENIED several times to renew his permit. It took a lawyer to finally get it renewed.
Ditto this. Obviously Dave has not tried to get a Wear and Carry Permit in Maryland. If it was that easy, there wouldn’t be a HPRB which, BTW, is in the process of being dissolved because they were recently overturning more denials since Hogan's appointment of new board members. Maryland is one of the worst states in the country for trying to get a concealed carry permit. It should wake up and join the vast majority of states that are shall issue. Hopefully, a couple cases now before the SCOTUS will fix this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland