Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 07:52 AM

311 posts, read 1,386,197 times

Advertisements

What is the attraction of Chesapeake Beach as far as being near a body of water? Does the brown, muddy color of the water not matter at all?

I'm really curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
What is the attraction of Chesapeake Beach as far as being near a body of water? Does the brown, muddy color of the water not matter at all?

I'm really curious.
Since we had a really bad storm last night I went down to the Bay to find some muddy water. I couldn't find any but did see a lot of sandy bottom. The good news is that SAVs are really flourishing this year.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:33 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Since we had a really bad storm last night I went down to the Bay to find some muddy water. I couldn't find any but did see a lot of sandy bottom. The good news is that SAVs are really flourishing this year.
SAVs?

Old 06-26-2015, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
SAVs?
Submerged Aquatic Vegetation. One of the indicators of water quality. Lack of them is tied to the low numbers of crabs.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:37 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post

I'm really curious.
Not sure where this post came from. Unless you are living in south Florida or coastal Maine the entire Atlantic seaboard has this color water.

Back on topic what about the numbered streets in North Beach on the other side of Glenwood Ave? I have a friend that lives in that neighborhood, lots of fairly new, smaller, economical single family homes there.

Regarding the heat question we live in Mt Airy (duh) and it's way colder up here than on the water where you are considering. When we bought this old farmhouse it has baseboard electric (not a heat pump). I put in an oil burner and it's been way less expensive. It's too cold here for a heat pump, the auxiliary heat element would kick on all the time and would be very expensive. But our annual heating bill, in a very cold area, is about $2,000. Where you are moving don't be deterred by oil heat IMO but others may have a different opinion.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Not sure where this post came from. Unless you are living in south Florida or coastal Maine the entire Atlantic seaboard has this color water.

Back on topic what about the numbered streets in North Beach on the other side of Glenwood Ave? I have a friend that lives in that neighborhood, lots of fairly new, smaller, economical single family homes there.

Regarding the heat question we live in Mt Airy (duh) and it's way colder up here than on the water where you are considering. When we bought this old farmhouse it has baseboard electric (not a heat pump). I put in an oil burner and it's been way less expensive. It's too cold here for a heat pump, the auxiliary heat element would kick on all the time and would be very expensive. But our annual heating bill, in a very cold area, is about $2,000. Where you are moving don't be deterred by oil heat IMO but others may have a different opinion.
West of Greenwood is unincorporated so you're paying County taxes only.

It will depend on where, from 2nd St to 5th (at the end of 2nd is a townhouse development that is inside town limits) you're going to find a mix of houses, most of which are 1970s vintage but a few newer (meaning the last couple years) and a few old beach cottages.

From 5th to about 9th you have houses which were mostly built late 1980s to mid-90s by the same developer, you can tell by looking at them-single story, same design, etc. That area was mostly woods (well there was one guy who raised goats on 7th Street) until those houses were built. Again there is a scattering of older beach cottages mixed in.

From 10th to (crap I haven't been back there for awhile) 14th, I guess, you have newer houses which are bigger, the lots are really crammed with house.

Depending on where you are you'll either have a well and County sewer (goes to the regional treatment plant in Chesapeake Beach) or a well and septic.

Most of the houses are heat pump. I still maintain that it's still a little too cold here for them and if you can oil heat is the way to go. Most people report electric bills in the $400 to $600 range in the winter with a heat pump only. A lot of people have put in pellet stoves or traditional wood burners.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:53 AM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
West of Greenwood is unincorporated so you're paying County taxes only.

It will depend on where, from 2nd St to 5th (at the end of 2nd is a townhouse development that is inside town limits) you're going to find a mix of houses, most of which are 1970s vintage but a few newer (meaning the last couple years) and a few old beach cottages.

From 5th to about 9th you have houses which were mostly built late 1980s to mid-90s by the same developer, you can tell by looking at them-single story, same design, etc. That area was mostly woods (well there was one guy who raised goats on 7th Street) until those houses were built. Again there is a scattering of older beach cottages mixed in.

From 10th to (crap I haven't been back there for awhile) 14th, I guess, you have newer houses which are bigger, the lots are really crammed with house.

Depending on where you are you'll either have a well and County sewer (goes to the regional treatment plant in Chesapeake Beach) or a well and septic.

Most of the houses are heat pump. I still maintain that it's still a little too cold here for them and if you can oil heat is the way to go. Most people report electric bills in the $400 to $600 range in the winter with a heat pump only. A lot of people have put in pellet stoves or traditional wood burners.
Yeah my friend lives in the section between 5th and 9th, a small cape cod that is very nice and no doubt affordable.

$400-$600 a month? That's crazy. Oil would be much must less than that. We have a 2,000 foot home in a much colder area and we buy a tank in November, then one in Jan. and another end of Feb/early March. Finally we top off at the start of summer. The full tanks are about $500-$550, the half tank obviously much less. Not even close to $400-$600/month even when we add in our monthly electric.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Crime? No. Yes there is crime but it really tends to be of the opportunistic "someone left their car unlocked and got something taken" variety.

Having said that, the whole area (the entire US it seems) has seen an uptick in opioid use the last few years. That has increased the calls for overdoses to the emergency services.

Keep in mind that the Zip Code for Chesapeake Beach, which would be the address for crime reports, is much larger than the incorporated municipality of Chesapeake Beach. You'd almost have to tell me the street name to tell which.

There are a couple places I wouldn't walk at night, mainly the back part of the rails to trails path, because it's so isolated but the reported muggings/robberies in CHBCH average less than 5/year and are usually either around the bars (the most problematic of which is now closed) or between people who know each other. Usually both.

Define social life.

Numerous salt and pepper couples in the area, some straight, many not.

School system is considered the 3rd best in the State.

The only issue with dogs is for those people who don't clean up after them while walking on the Rails to Trails pathway.

Oil heating is generally cheaper than electric heat, which is typically a heat pump in this area.

Other factors.
1) If you live in the incorporated Town your taxes will be higher. You will pay a lower County rate (tax differential, I can write you an essay on what that is) but will have Town property taxes. Depending on where you buy you will also have HOA fees (Richfield Station, Windward Key, etc.)
2) CHBCH has municipal water and sewer. The cost of sewer is going to have to rise the next couple years due to a couple factors. The main one is that the bill for mandated upgrades is going to hit in the next year or so. Numbers for that are foggy but we're looking a 50% to 100% increase where I am, of which the Town is co-owner of the sewer plant. Also, CHBCH has been undercharging sewer costs for a couple decades and the pot of money being used to subsidize those costs is gone.
3) Unless you buy/rent a waterfront house access to the water is limited to the public beach (Bayfront Park/Brownie's Beach. The name was changed because of the reputation of Brownie's Beach) and the public boat launch at the marina. Even then your access may be limited unless you have a pier because of the rock armoring along the shore.
4) Quite frankly, North Beach is a much more walkable community than Chesapeake Beach. RTE 261 throws a wrench into them. North Beach also has way more community activities (weekly Farmer's Market, Movies on the Beach, Campfire on the Beach, Concerts (yes, on the Beach), large public pier and Boardwalk, last week we had a Eat, Drink Local thing by the MD Winegrowers, yesterday was the dragon boat races, Boo Bash and Halloween movie, Polar Bear swim, crap I don't remember them all).
My wife and I go to North Beach every year. It is a nice quick getaway from the DC area. It makes you think you are farther away than you really are. That's what I love about Maryland and its diverse geographical makeup.

I take my son to the Mexican restaurant in North Beach by the pier every year. Thinking about making it a tradition. The food is excellent and the people are friendly.

The wine shop is how we found out about Boordys wine during one of their tastings.

Old 07-10-2015, 10:33 PM

23 posts, read 37,149 times
Hi North Beach Person,

So, recently a home came on the market in north beach. However, as I went from north beach to Chesapeake beach, I noticed that the road we crossed does not have walking paths that connect north to CB. Is that correct? If I move to north beach, it would be nice to walk to CB. Your thoughts?

Old 07-10-2015, 10:44 PM

23 posts, read 37,149 times
Default Oil heating and Radon in Chesapeake Beach/North Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
My wife and I go to North Beach every year. It is a nice quick getaway from the DC area. It makes you think you are farther away than you really are. That's what I love about Maryland and its diverse geographical makeup.

I take my son to the Mexican restaurant in North Beach by the pier every year. Thinking about making it a tradition. The food is excellent and the people are friendly.

The wine shop is how we found out about Boordys wine during one of their tastings.

Hi Adelphi Sky, funny enough before moving in the line of work that I am now, Boordy vineyard use to be a client of mine whilst working at Viacom. This was back in 2002. They werent known very well back then and had a very quaint feel to the vineyard. Now it's a bit more "industrialized" but the wine is still good.

@North Beach Person & Aldephi Sky:

In terms of oil heating.

Funny enough, a person I know who lives near alexandria, va was adamant on their disdain of oil heating. Mainly because of the smell and potential for poisoning. So I got a bit worried to say the least.

The home I am looking at the oil heater is either in the basement buried or unburied. This is bad right?
Many of the homes i see near water have the oil heater outside?
what is the preference here? Is there really a difference?
Honestly I am a bit concerned about the health implications with the oil heating tank being on the inside, thoughts?

Also, how are the radon levels in this area? I read somewhere that Montgomery county has awful radon levels but I am unsure about coastal towns. Any thoughts on this guys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland