Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:16 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times

Advertisements

I'm not from Maryland and when I think of Maryland, I think of Baltimore. Even before the recent troubles, Baltimore has been thought of as a not so nice place. Even though Baltimore is a basket case, Maryland is one of the wealthiest and most prestigious states in the country.

How does it maintain its wealth and prestige when its largest and most important city is a mess?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Proximity to DC and the wealth/jobs which emanate from that.

Remember, the "wealthy" areas of the state are really the I95 corridor and a bit more. Far western MD and the Eastern Shore, as well as parts of Southern Maryland are not really sharing in the boom in many ways.

And yes, for those who will comment, I live in Calvert which is in the Top 3 Counties for wealth. That number is skewed by a relatively small number of very high income households.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:35 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'm not from Maryland and when I think of Maryland, I think of Baltimore. Even before the recent troubles, Baltimore has been thought of as a not so nice place. Even though Baltimore is a basket case, Maryland is one of the wealthiest and most prestigious states in the country.

How does it maintain its wealth and prestige when its largest and most important city is a mess?
I'm not sure what to make of this comment. But assuming you are genuinely asking, all states have areas of poverty. That's like saying how does the US maintain its wealth and prestige when there is Mississippi or Alabama.

Baltimore is not Maryland's most important city. It isn't even the capital of the state. If anything, Ocean City would be more important than Baltimore City.

Maryland's most important cities are called the Beltway cities which surround DC. They create the most wealth in the state in a small area.

On the other hand, due to UMBC and Johns Hopkins, Baltimore does have a growing cyber security industry coming out of their incubators.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:58 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,112,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I'm not sure what to make of this comment. But assuming you are genuinely asking, all states have areas of poverty. That's like saying how does the US maintain its wealth and prestige when there is Mississippi or Alabama.

Baltimore is not Maryland's most important city. It isn't even the capital of the state. If anything, Ocean City would be more important than Baltimore City.

Maryland's most important cities are called the Beltway cities which surround DC. They create the most wealth in the state in a small area.

On the other hand, due to UMBC and Johns Hopkins, Baltimore does have a growing cyber security industry coming out of their incubators.
Aw, come on. This is a ridiculous statement. Montgomery County - as a county - is the economic engine of the state of MD. Baltimore - the CITY - ranks as the second largest economic engine of the state. Not sure how you dreamed up Ocean City as outpacing Baltimore in economic output.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:51 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Aw, come on. This is a ridiculous statement. Montgomery County - as a county - is the economic engine of the state of MD. Baltimore - the CITY - ranks as the second largest economic engine of the state. Not sure how you dreamed up Ocean City as outpacing Baltimore in economic output.
Agree.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:30 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,392,447 times
Yeah I agree too.

Back to the opening post how is Baltimore "a mess" again? Sure it has problems, so does every city in the world. I'm not from Baltimore so I'm no apologist. But it seems to me that Baltimore has nothing to apologize for.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:31 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,560,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I wrote that? I should have said that Ocean City was just as important as Baltimore. Can't imagine Maryland without Ocean City's economy.

BUT, I agree. Baltimore's economy is among the largest in the state and much larger than Ocean City.

MY BAD. Geeze.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:56 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
The most important city in Maryland is Washington, DC. Don't let the picky little detail that DC is not, technically, IN Maryland fool you; the federal capital is far and away the economic engine that drives this state.

Following that, I would agree that Montgomery County is the state's main economic engine. And a lot of that is due to the spillover of federal agencies from Washington; so one could say that MoCo is a corollary to DC. After that, I would say that Baltimore is still a major economic force -- warts and all.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:01 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
I wrote that? I should have said that Ocean City was just as important as Baltimore. Can't imagine Maryland without Ocean City's economy.
Well no, you didn't write that; not exactly. THIS is what you wrote:

Quote:
"Importance" can be measured in various ways, of which economic power is but one. As a tourism center, one could make the case that Ocean City might be more important than Baltimore. (Maybe. I don't have the stats, so I don't know for sure.) But in overall economic might, it's not even close.

Incidentally, have you ever been in Ocean City in the dead of winter? It's downright creepy. Try driving up Coastal Highway on a weekday in February; it's like one of those science-fiction movies where some weird disease kills off all the humans but leaves the buildings intact.

Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 AM

689 posts, read 1,006,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Well no, you didn't write that; not exactly. THIS is what you wrote:

"Importance" can be measured in various ways, of which economic power is but one. As a tourism center, one could make the case that Ocean City might be more important than Baltimore. (Maybe. I don't have the stats, so I don't know for sure.) But in overall economic might, it's not even close.

Incidentally, have you ever been in Ocean City in the dead of winter? It's downright creepy. Try driving up Coastal Highway on a weekday in February; it's like one of those science-fiction movies where some weird disease kills off all the humans but leaves the buildings intact.
Baltimore is still a major economic engine for the state in particular central Maryland. As far as tourism statistics Baltimore get the majority of tourist in the state and more tourist come to Baltimore than ocean city and DC believe it or not.

Last edited by Northernest Southernest C; 06-23-2015 at 07:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland