Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,675 times

Advertisements

My first post, due to my experience, yesterday, July 18, 2015. I visited the new "Up and Coming" Frederick, Maryland yesterday. Things are less expensive and the food is good/decent, if you know "specifically" where to go. The new places, frequented by the new transplants and actual "Rarely" talked about Middle Class of Frederick, have extremely, friendly envirtonments. This rural, enclave is changing for the better.

So, when a red car with the Confederate flag drove by window of the restaurant that I was eating in, everyone cringed and time stood still. How to I explain this "One off" to my White, well monied, professional lunch mates? After all, I suggested that they look for a house in the mountainous location. Despite, for years, my being told jokes by White, Maryland, residents about Frederick's "Inbred, Fredneck, Yokel, backwards population".

It's exhausting and embarrassing, trying to explain Country folk (I've previously been corrected if I use the debatable word, Southerner) and their "Easily led" ways. For example, why they love the Redskins, when George Preston Marshall, was a noted, staunch segregationist. Ignorance seems to be their bliss. Slavery was a main part of Civil War succession. Is the owner of this car, going to start "Human trafficking" to get his ancestors' slaves back?

What do I tell those with "Buying Power" whom I, somewhat regrettably, suggested try the new "Up anbd Coming" Frederick? Is the Redneck population still that close in proximity? Run amuck with your responses, I won't reply but am interested in hearing everyone "s thoughts. Honestly, I am nauseated by the mere, thought of being associated with Hillbilly trash. I've got the Southern "Vapors", I due declare! Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2015, 09:02 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times
Frederick is "up and coming" but it is still a small town in a rural area. And in those areas you will find blue collar guys with monster trucks and yes the occasional Rebel Flag. If this freaks you and your lunch mates out so much then you should be living in Cleveland Park and never venture outside of the city.

Personally I think you are totally overreacting. Big time.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:05 AM

16,086 posts, read 10,242,517 times
Oh and it's kind of chicken to start such a polarizing thread and then not reply to the responses.

You are a snob.

Old 07-19-2015, 09:18 AM

44,886 posts, read 59,869,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Frederick is "up and coming" but it is still a small town in a rural area. And in those areas you will find blue collar guys with monster trucks and yes the occasional Rebel Flag. If this freaks you and your lunch mates out so much then you should be living in Cleveland Park and never venture outside of the city.

Personally I think you are totally overreacting. Big time.
Hope she never ventures to St. Mary's County. She'll have to be jump started with those paddle thingies.

Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM

6,915 posts, read 11,162,928 times
Troll.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:26 AM

3,634 posts, read 4,767,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Hope she never ventures to St. Mary's County. She'll have to be jump started with those paddle thingies.
Same thing if she ever crosses that bridge and heads over here! Wow! Just WOW!

I wonder what she'd think if she saw a couple guys dressed in camo in a pickup with with a couple guns in the rack and a rebel flag license plate? Oh the horror!

Old 07-19-2015, 02:22 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,551,701 times
Maryland outside of the DC-Baltimore is like that, country as hell. You'd experience the same thing in rural VA, rural PA. Once you go north of Clarksburg it's a done deal.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:05 AM

6,212 posts, read 9,151,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
Maryland outside of the DC-Baltimore is like that, country as hell. You'd experience the same thing in rural VA, rural PA. Once you go north of Clarksburg it's a done deal.
Lol yep.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,653,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedLatina View Post
My first post, due to my experience, yesterday, July 18, 2015. I visited the new "Up and Coming" Frederick, Maryland yesterday. Things are less expensive and the food is good/decent, if you know "specifically" where to go. The new places, frequented by the new transplants and actual "Rarely" talked about Middle Class of Frederick, have extremely, friendly envirtonments. This rural, enclave is changing for the better.

So, when a red car with the Confederate flag drove by window of the restaurant that I was eating in, everyone cringed and time stood still. How to I explain this "One off" to my White, well monied, professional lunch mates? After all, I suggested that they look for a house in the mountainous location. Despite, for years, my being told jokes by White, Maryland, residents about Frederick's "Inbred, Fredneck, Yokel, backwards population".

It's exhausting and embarrassing, trying to explain Country folk (I've previously been corrected if I use the debatable word, Southerner) and their "Easily led" ways. For example, why they love the Redskins, when George Preston Marshall, was a noted, staunch segregationist. Ignorance seems to be their bliss. Slavery was a main part of Civil War succession. Is the owner of this car, going to start "Human trafficking" to get his ancestors' slaves back?

What do I tell those with "Buying Power" whom I, somewhat regrettably, suggested try the new "Up anbd Coming" Frederick? Is the Redneck population still that close in proximity? Run amuck with your responses, I won't reply but am interested in hearing everyone "s thoughts. Honestly, I am nauseated by the mere, thought of being associated with Hillbilly trash. I've got the Southern "Vapors", I due declare! Lol.
Of course Frederick is still "out there." It's not like its "Fredneck" reputation is from generations ago; of course there's still an element of that today. You're surely trolling by pretending to be that oblivious.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:30 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,029,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftHandedLatina View Post

Ignorant post. Doesn't deserve a well reasoned response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland