Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 07:26 AM

581 posts, read 1,171,955 times

Advertisements

If you work in walking distance to union station the commute from Odenton is a piece of cake! Just get on the MARC train, the penn line runs fairly often during weekday rush hour, every 20-30 minutes or so.

Seriously, its not bad at all, the train is pretty popular, lots of people do this.

Also the monthly passes are pretty reasonable, and the experience is much more pleasant than Metro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 07:39 AM

10,609 posts, read 12,115,646 times
Quote:
I really wanted to live in Bethesda because its close to my work
I thought you'd be working near Union Station, now I see it's Bethesda, also?
So SOME days it's Union Station area in DC, and other days it's Bethesda? In the same week? So 3 days a week in Bethesda, 2 days in town by Union Station?

In rush hour I believe the train is about every 15- 20 min....... it's 3 - 4 time an hour. And the ride itself in more than a half hour. Easy doesn't mean short time-wise. No, it's not "bad." You just have to allow for the time it takes. If the train ride alone is 35 minutes, add the time it takes to you get to the platform...that's walking or driving and parking....and the time from the station to work...walking to the office.... Miss your train and you're LATE!

All I'm saying it don't underestimate commute time...from wherever you choose.

Last edited by selhars; 08-06-2015 at 07:48 AM..

Old 08-06-2015, 01:49 PM

280 posts, read 350,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I thought you'd be working near Union Station, now I see it's Bethesda, also?
So SOME days it's Union Station area in DC, and other days it's Bethesda? In the same week? So 3 days a week in Bethesda, 2 days in town by Union Station?

In rush hour I believe the train is about every 15- 20 min....... it's 3 - 4 time an hour. And the ride itself in more than a half hour. Easy doesn't mean short time-wise. No, it's not "bad." You just have to allow for the time it takes. If the train ride alone is 35 minutes, add the time it takes to you get to the platform...that's walking or driving and parking....and the time from the station to work...walking to the office.... Miss your train and you're LATE!

All I'm saying it don't underestimate commute time...from wherever you choose.
Sorry for the confusion, when I say close to work, I meant 20 mins away from metro. Office is going to be a one block away from metro station.
You are right I need to make a careful decision on living.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:51 PM

280 posts, read 350,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay jayy View Post
If you work in walking distance to union station the commute from Odenton is a piece of cake! Just get on the MARC train, the penn line runs fairly often during weekday rush hour, every 20-30 minutes or so.

Seriously, its not bad at all, the train is pretty popular, lots of people do this.

Also the monthly passes are pretty reasonable, and the experience is much more pleasant than Metro.
My only problem is that MARC would be the only option. whereas if I live in Bethesda, Silver Spring, Rockville. I will have MARC as well as METRO, which is very frequent compared to MARC.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:46 AM

59 posts, read 44,574 times
I live on Route 3 in Odenton area and the one advantage is that for DC, it gives me an option of using the MARC in Odenton or going to New Carrollton by grabbing 50 from Route 3. I’m in Fort Meade now but yea definitely allow a couple hours for commuting to DC from really anywhere.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:52 AM

59 posts, read 44,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Coincidently..............
Developers, officials revisit Odenton Town Center plan

In 1972, a proposal titled "The Odenton Plan" laid out an ambitious vision of a town center in the western Anne Arundel County community that would transform it into a hub of retail, residential and transportation development. Nearly half a century later, residents are still waiting. But developers, elected officials and community stakeholders believe Odenton Town Center sits at a tipping point, ready to become a reality. Their hope is that a revised town center master plan, which will be the subject of a public hearing Wednesday, can clear a path to progress. (Balt. Sun)
The Route 175 part of Odenton and the MARC area definitely needs to be revamped. The only other option is to leave it the way it is and people who live there can rely on the supercenters on Route 3 for shopping etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland