Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2016, 07:21 PM

1,112 posts, read 1,048,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
I dont really consider poughkeepsie the mid-atlantic. Infact, I sometimes consider NYC the mid-atlantic sometimes, but New york is geographically northern and clearly northern. The only reason I call specific states mid-atlantic is because either the regional culture isnt as intense, or the state doesnt fit into either region. I usually say PA,NJ,MD,AND DE are mid-atlantic, sometimes calling VA and NY the mid-atlantic.

But Poughkeepsie has always been in the Mid-Atlantic, since colonial times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:22 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,227,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ialmostforgot View Post

When you were there, did you pick your feet?

Old 02-23-2016, 09:10 AM

223 posts, read 277,018 times
Quote:
I said I dont consider it Mid-Atlantic. It doesnt mean it isnt, but just to reply to your original question, the two areas you were comparing arent totally different. I looked at both of them, the houses werent THAT different, and since the accent was AS strong, it was easier to compare to the nuetral accents in MD.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I said I dont consider it Mid-Atlantic. It doesnt mean it isnt, but just to reply to your original question, the two areas you were comparing arent totally different. I looked at both of them, the houses werent THAT different, and since the accent was AS strong, it was easier to compare to the nuetral accents in MD.
Poughkeepsie has a northern accent, not a "transplant territory" accent. Are not the houses older there then the sprawl we find in MD? And the culture, is it not northeastern? Why do you not consider it Mid-Atlantic if it so obviously is and always has been? What about Scranton?

Sorry for all of the questions

Old 02-23-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
When you were there, did you pick your feet?
No, I do not go that way.

Honestly, I was confused by your question at first.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:40 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,227,109 times
Quote:
No, I do not go that way.

Honestly, I was confused by your question at first.
It's a reference to a line in "The French Connection".

Old 02-26-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Poughkeepsie has a northern accent, not a "transplant territory" accent. Are not the houses older there then the sprawl we find in MD? And the culture, is it not northeastern? Why do you not consider it Mid-Atlantic if it so obviously is and always has been? What about Scranton?

Sorry for all of the questions
I don't consider it mid Atlantic location wise because, it is literally on the same level as New England, except for Maine, and not really in the middle. Culture wise, it is mid atlantic, but I just never understood why it was the mid atlantic geographic wise. I never said it had a transplant territory accent, but, maybe I didn't go deep enough into Poughkeepsie, but it wasn't a super strong accent when comparing it to home. Speaking of homes, I also didn't say houses were the same, MD houses are dumps compared to those mini castles but culture and wildlife of both places have some similarities. I mean, Baltimore doesn't have the same dialect as New York, but still KINDA falls under mid Atlantic according to some sites. But besides that, in general, not just including dialect, but other things, do you find it off to call MD mid atlantic?

Old 02-27-2016, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I don't consider it mid Atlantic location wise because, it is literally on the same level as New England, except for Maine, and not really in the middle. Culture wise, it is mid atlantic, but I just never understood why it was the mid atlantic geographic wise. I never said it had a transplant territory accent, but, maybe I didn't go deep enough into Poughkeepsie, but it wasn't a super strong accent when comparing it to home. Speaking of homes, I also didn't say houses were the same, MD houses are dumps compared to those mini castles but culture and wildlife of both places have some similarities. I mean, Baltimore doesn't have the same dialect as New York, but still KINDA falls under mid Atlantic according to some sites. But besides that, in general, not just including dialect, but other things, do you find it off to call MD mid atlantic?
Would you like to talk about the cultural and wildlife similarities?

People (I think it's just Labov) consider Baltimore Mid-Atlantic because they have the tense-lax split and say "youse" and because Philadelphia traditionally exhibits the southern shift like Baltimore does. Philadelphia has a lot of similarities to New York's accent and because it shares a couple with Baltimore's, the city is pulled into that umbrella. But most of Maryland does not have the Baltimore accent.

Old 03-01-2016, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Would you like to talk about the cultural and wildlife similarities?

People (I think it's just Labov) consider Baltimore Mid-Atlantic because they have the tense-lax split and say "youse" and because Philadelphia traditionally exhibits the southern shift like Baltimore does. Philadelphia has a lot of similarities to New York's accent and because it shares a couple with Baltimore's, the city is pulled into that umbrella. But most of Maryland does not have the Baltimore accent.
I can agree with that. One thing for sure is that the O's are different. There is a famous youtube named mcjuggernuggets, you might have seen his dad destroying his stuff. He lives in south jersey, around the same level as philly, and he says O's like "ehhoo".

Wild life, I am just using one example, there could be more, but canadian geese are a permanent resident animal in maryland, as well as other mid-atlantic states. You can see these geese during the winter and the summer. I mentioned this because, they usually tend to go south during the winter I believe to stay in warmer environments, and go back up north to stay in an environment not too hot during the summer.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1456849432

Dont know how to attack correctly...
Attached Thumbnails
Proof that Maryland is Southern-canadagoosemap.jpg  

Old 03-01-2016, 11:05 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,389,096 times
I can't stand they way Black Baltimoreans speak!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland