Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 12:29 PM

223 posts, read 278,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
Of course, Maryland has a STRONG redneck and hillbilly culture...everyone knows this. I think the poster was talking something a little bit more refined and progressive and Bingo nights, deer hunting, dollar store shopping and playing beer pong championships tournaments is NOT what he/she was referring to.
Lol? Maryland does not have a strong redneck and hillbilly culture. Eastern shore might have culture, but for one thing, it is not true hillbilly, if it is even hillbilly at all. They are more like their own thing. And, everyone knows this? Lol? If everyone knew that, there would not nearly be as much arguments as there are on city data. But if you walk up to a person, a lot of them dont even consider maryland southern. According to the poll, most of them dont.

You seem to keep switching on opinions dude, first your like MD isnt southern, now your saying it is hillbilly?
You are confusing me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 10:29 PM

I guess this discussion is over

Old 03-23-2016, 06:43 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
*Huh?! It may not be as STRONG as people would like it to be, but it's quite evident in some attitudes and behaviors. I'm not saying Marylanders are West Virginian/Kentuckian type Hillbillies, but it's prevalent in Maryland. I was being some facetious in describing Hillbilly culture and behaviorism. Hillbillies aren't monolithic and neither is their culture. I can make an argument on how that white Hillbilly strain has become an integral part of Baltimore (Maryland) life/culture, as well as black slave culture being a part of Baltimore. Didn't slaves make up their own things too? Have you ever spent time in the uber-rural enclaves of the Western Maryland mountains?!! The Eastern Shore feels more like the Mississippi Delta at times, especially, when it comes to Blacks and post-slavery.[/quote]

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post
Lol? Maryland does not have a strong redneck and hillbilly culture. Eastern shore might have culture, but for one thing, it is not true hillbilly, if it is even hillbilly at all. They are more like their own thing. And, everyone knows this? Lol? If everyone knew that, there would not nearly be as much arguments as there are on city data. But if you walk up to a person, a lot of them dont even consider maryland southern. According to the poll, most of them dont.

You seem to keep switching on opinions dude, first your like MD isnt southern, now your saying it is hillbilly?
You are confusing me.....

Old 03-23-2016, 06:49 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
They used to teach us a lot of unfounded, distortive untruths in school; and they still do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
ANY state BELOW the Mason Dixon line is considered "Southern"

They used to teach that in school.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
They used to teach us a lot of unfounded, distortive untruths in school; and they still do.
They dont teach that in school anymore, or atleast not in PG county. The school books usually consider MD either mid atlantic, or just eastern. They considered it northern when it was referring to history, like during the civil war, but for the most part, it was mid-atlantic.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
*Huh?! It may not be as STRONG as people would like it to be, but it's quite evident in some attitudes and behaviors. I'm not saying Marylanders are West Virginian/Kentuckian type Hillbillies, but it's prevalent in Maryland. I was being some facetious in describing Hillbilly culture and behaviorism. Hillbillies aren't monolithic and neither is their culture. I can make an argument on how that white Hillbilly strain has become an integral part of Baltimore (Maryland) life/culture, as well as black slave culture being a part of Baltimore. Didn't slaves make up their own things too? Have you ever spent time in the uber-rural enclaves of the Western Maryland mountains?!! The Eastern Shore feels more like the Mississippi Delta at times, especially, when it comes to Blacks and post-slavery.
[/quote]

Ok, so first off, I understand slaves were more prevalent in the south, but every state had slaves at one point. Hill-billy nature is not widespread in Maryland, I wont even agree with that at all, it is just not true. If it was, most people would say it is southern on the poll, but on every poll done about MD, it is obvious the majority does not consider it southern. I would love to hear your argument about hillybilly strain becoming an integral part of baltimore. Slavery is over, so I dont get how that makes it hillbilly land, and if even if Maryland originally wanted to be confederacy, the citizens with were the union, since 66% of the people fought for the union. I will accept eastern shore having southern features, but not even eastern shore is hillbilly. I dont think it feels like mississippi, although that is an opinion itself. In western MD, appalachian does not equal southern. Pittsburgh itself is quite similar to western MD in some cases.

Old 03-29-2016, 03:17 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
[quote=sniffablecow;43528526]
Quote:

Ok, so first off, I understand slaves were more prevalent in the south, but every state had slaves at one point. Hill-billy nature is not widespread in Maryland, I wont even agree with that at all, it is just not true. If it was, most people would say it is southern on the poll, but on every poll done about MD, it is obvious the majority does not consider it southern. I would love to hear your argument about hillybilly strain becoming an integral part of baltimore. Slavery is over, so I dont get how that makes it hillbilly land, and if even if Maryland originally wanted to be confederacy, the citizens with were the union, since 66% of the people fought for the union. I will accept eastern shore having southern features, but not even eastern shore is hillbilly. I dont think it feels like mississippi, although that is an opinion itself. In western MD, appalachian does not equal southern. Pittsburgh itself is quite similar to western MD in some cases.
You don't have to be Southern to be a "hillbilly." The way you guys are using the word robs it of all meaning other than "rural white person."

Hillbillies are people from the mountains. The Appalachians are their own region. Do the southern parts of the range mix in with lowland Southern culture and dialect? Yes. Do the northern parts of the range mix in with inland northern dialect and culture? Yes.

Whatever you two are talking about, don't use the word "hillbilly" when you aren't referring to people from the mountains. Cow, I expect you to understand this. IH77, you're a lost cause. Have fun throwing a fit on that bridge on yours, I'm already on the other side grazing away.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:29 PM

[quote=westsideboy;43529695]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniffablecow View Post

You don't have to be Southern to be a "hillbilly." The way you guys are using the word robs it of all meaning other than "rural white person."

Hillbillies are people from the mountains. The Appalachians are their own region. Do the southern parts of the range mix in with lowland Southern culture and dialect? Yes. Do the northern parts of the range mix in with inland northern dialect and culture? Yes.

Whatever you two are talking about, don't use the word "hillbilly" when you aren't referring to people from the mountains. Cow, I expect you to understand this. IH77, you're a lost cause. Have fun throwing a fit on that bridge on yours, I'm already on the other side grazing away.
I missread your comment, I thought it said eastern shore was hillbilly which is not true from the definition of hilly: an unsophisticated country person, associated originally with the remote regions of the Appalachians.

But if you since you were not referring to hillbillies in a southern way, I dont have a lot to say :/

Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 PM

6,999 posts, read 11,293,992 times
[quote=sniffablecow;43533045]
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post

I missread your comment, I thought it said eastern shore was hillbilly which is not true from the definition of hilly: an unsophisticated country person, associated originally with the remote regions of the Appalachians.

But if you since you were not referring to hillbillies in a southern way, I dont have a lot to say :/
Somebody said the Eastern Shore was hillbilly, I let it go because I get sick of having to constantly correct people that isn't cool to throw the term around as a slur for "rural white people I don't like."

At some point though, I have to say something. Maryland has RURAL WHITE PEOPLE. Some of these folks are hillbillies that live in the Appalachians, some live in the rolling hills and farm country of Central Maryland, some live in the flatter, water dominated landscapes of Southern Maryland and the Eastern Shore.

What having rural people has to do with being Southern has been beaten to death in these threads. Some rural Marylanders are distinctly Southern, others would cringe at the label. Out here in the mountains we have a few of both, and probably most that wouldn't care much to be called a Yankee or a Southerner. Count me in that group. I'm from Appalachia, that's my regional identity.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
Of course the eastern shore isn't HILLbilly. You kind of need HILLS to be a hillbilly I'd suppose! And there sure aint no hills around here, except perhaps the assorted county dumps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland