Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 10:29 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times

Advertisements

I agree with everyone else: too many speed demons, distracted drivers, drivers who don't seem to know basics---like how to judge gaps to safely lane change or merge.

I will not blindly go with flow of traffic b/c sometimes it can get dangerously fast. I am at least going the speed limit, let the speed demons pass, and I'm in the right hand lane. No apologies from me on that one.

My biggest pet peeve right now are the drivers who will literally STOP in the middle of a lane, stopping the flow of traffic b/c they want to go left or right or change lanes.

Example: there's two lanes of traffic. Driver is in right lane. But he wants to turn left. He will STOP (I just can't believe they do this) in the middle of the right lane....just STOP.....and block everyone in that lane until he can get in the left lane. I cannot tell you how dangerous and annoying this. I mean, come on. You miss your turn? Continue and turn around when safe to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 12:11 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
people in dc area have this 4:00pm hour of being out of it. so they dont know when to turn left or right. so they sit in the middle of the int section making everybody else mad and run the light

Old 09-27-2015, 01:43 PM

675 posts, read 723,002 times
There must be a book written case called "Driving For Dummies" because there is no way these individual could have passed a drivers test, then again maybe they got their license through affirmative action. The day before yesterday I was going to work and was driving down a two way street. When I looked to my left there was a car driving into oncoming traffic. He passed me and did a U turn and was now coming towards me head on in my lane. He ran off the road to avoid hitting me. On my way home for work I was on a street with two lanes going in the opposite direction . The driver passed me crossing over the double yellow line remaining on the wrong side of the street until we got to the red light. Only then did he see he was in the lane of incoming traffic. I see the most bizarre driving I have ever seen in my life. To me they are either intellectually limited or feel entitled to drive however they want to drive regardless of the law. It is a very serious problem in Baltimore.
Baltimore has the fifth highest accident rate in the US. U turns in Baltimore into oncoming traffic seems to be a must do as well as crossing the yellow line to miss bumps in the road.

Old 09-27-2015, 01:46 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by santafe400 View Post
And it seems to just get gradually worse every few years.

Especially in the urbanized areas and suburbs between Baltimore and D.C. People will drive on your bumper here even when you are going well above the posted speed limit, especially on secondary roads. I've witnessed vehicles especially during rush hours almost hit pedestrians in the name of getting to their destination 10 seconds sooner. How did it ever get this bad?
You are not alone in your city. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...idiots&tbm=vid

Old 09-27-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post
I agree with everyone else: too many speed demons, distracted drivers, drivers who don't seem to know basics---like how to judge gaps to safely lane change or merge.

I will not blindly go with flow of traffic b/c sometimes it can get dangerously fast. I am at least going the speed limit, let the speed demons pass, and I'm in the right hand lane. No apologies from me on that one.

My biggest pet peeve right now are the drivers who will literally STOP in the middle of a lane, stopping the flow of traffic b/c they want to go left or right or change lanes.

Example: there's two lanes of traffic. Driver is in right lane. But he wants to turn left. He will STOP (I just can't believe they do this) in the middle of the right lane....just STOP.....and block everyone in that lane until he can get in the left lane. I cannot tell you how dangerous and annoying this. I mean, come on. You miss your turn? Continue and turn around when safe to do so.
I have seen them stop in the middle lane to talk with their friends on the sidewalk. Twice in one day with in a block of one another I saw two individual leave their car in the middle lane to talk to go talk to friends on the side walk. I see these individuals as being either very stupid or very narcissistic (self center and entitled to do what ever they want to do when they want to do it without concern for anyone else). See my post on this topic. These driving behaviors are very prevalent in Baltimore. I saw one women stop at a red light on a two way street waiting for a friend to come out of the store. This was on a busy street. The light turned several times and people were blowing their horns but she would not move and people couldn't get around her because of oncoming traffic. She either didn't have a clue or was just very,very inconsiderate.

Old 09-27-2015, 03:01 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bande1102 View Post

They do it on the freeway too. They stay left, pass the cars lined up to exit, and then stop and block traffic so they can cut in the line. This is nothing new, but this area is the worst that I have seen for that behavior.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:45 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Maryland View Post
If people are whipping around you or riding your bumper, you're not keeping up with the flow of traffic and/or you're blocking the left lane.

It's not about your judgement on what speed is appropriate, it's about going with the flow and speed of traffic.
Depending on the area, I will in most cases only go 10 or less
miles over the posted speed limit/to keep up with the flow of traffic. Anymore than that, I just figure that they don't mind risking a speeding ticket. I can't afford that. I'll gladly get back in the right lane and let them be the daredevils that they are. I just hope that they have good distance vision and can stop/slow down when some other car gets a green light to make a right/left turn onto the main drag. It's just crazy going 85 mph when the posted speed limit is 55 or 65.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:05 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,525,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coopdeville1 View Post
Hi All,

I'm guessing most of you don't want a cop's opinion on this, but what the hey... I'm here to maybe clarify some questions if I can. This may be satire, maybe. LOL.

As far as driving in the left lane. Don't. Get out of it. It is one of only two pet peeves I have. There is nothing more infuriating than being stuck behind someone in the left lane. Move over! This comes with a few qualifiers.

If you are passing people in the other lanes then it is fine to be in the left lane. When you are finished passing move to the right.

If traffic is at a standstill in both lanes and moving bumper to bumper it is fine to be in the left lane.

If someone approaches from behind, move to the right. It is not under your authority to regulate the speed of other drivers. What I hear a lot is that someone is traveling at or above the speed limit and therefor should not move over. Wrong, move over. If you are traveling 60 in a 50 and cars are passing you at 70... move over. You are impeding the flow of traffic.

One of the worst offenses is driving in the left lane at the same exact speed as the driver in the right lane, trapping everyone behind from being able to pass.

I am working out the legal aspect of how this might be applied as kidnapping. Yes, a felony. Preventing the free movement/ exit of an individual from exercising their free will to leave. It's an uphill battle but for all you frustrated drivers out there, I am working night and day to make this happen. LOL.
Suppose you're trying to pass someone because they are going much slower than you, then when you get half way there, that vehicle you are passing decides to speed up? So then you are stuck in that 1/2 way mode for I don't know how far up the road where you have to make the decision to drop back or turn off the road/take an exit. Why do people cop (sorry, no pun intended) attitudes that they and only they can be first?

Old 09-27-2015, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Suppose you're trying to pass someone because they are going much slower than you, then when you get half way there, that vehicle you are passing decides to speed up? So then you are stuck in that 1/2 way mode for I don't know how far up the road where you have to make the decision to drop back or turn off the road/take an exit. Why do people cop (sorry, no pun intended) attitudes that they and only they can be first?
It is call narcissism. They have to be right.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:22 AM

55 posts, read 145,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Then they automatically become an *******. Reckless driving, call in the tag.

Crabs in a barrel.... look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: