Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,400 times

Advertisements

I am taking a new job at Andrews AFB. I am planning on living in Urbana, MD. Can anyone tell me what an average daily commute would be? I have heard horror stories about the route I would have to take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:53 AM

3,401 posts, read 1,235,146 times
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but those horror stories are absolutely true. Google maps says your commute would be about an hour, but during rush hour, that's easily doubled.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:19 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
Somewhere in the general Annapolis area, and points south which is in my view more attractive than Urbana, would be a about a 30 minute commute. That's where I'd look.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:53 PM

2,187 posts, read 2,683,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBees View Post
I am taking a new job at Andrews AFB. I am planning on living in Urbana, MD. Can anyone tell me what an average daily commute would be? I have heard horror stories about the route I would have to take.
!??!?! No, do not do this. Unless you hate yourself. You'll spend at least 3 hours a day in a car. Is someone forcing you to live in Urbana? Blink twice if you've been kidnapped.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:44 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
A shorter quicker but more expensive route from Urbana would be to take the ICC. The Gaithersburg to AFB leg would take about an hour. Don't know what Urbana to Gburg is like these days. Not pretty most likely.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:12 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,083,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
A shorter quicker but more expensive route from Urbana would be to take the ICC. The Gaithersburg to AFB leg would take about an hour. Don't know what Urbana to Gburg is like these days. Not pretty most likely.
The ICC may help you with the center third of the trip but the commute will still be hell. I commuted down I-270 for 14 solid years to Shady Grove to work and for a year before that to the Metro to go downtown. Going to Metro could be made easier by using the commuter bus from Frederick & Urbana but I don't think that would help much to Andrews. I purposely didn't consider jobs any further around the Beltway than Silver Spring or Tysons because of the commute

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 PM

11,361 posts, read 9,274,423 times
Quote:
Why do you want to put yourself through that?

If this is a real post here is some advice from someone very experienced with that route and type of commute:

DON'T DO IT!!!

Add 20-25 hours to your work week, guaranteed.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:08 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
During those few hours of the day when traffic on I-270 and I-495 flows freely, it's an hour's drive from Urbana to Andrews. Most times of the day, traffic does not flow freely, or even close to it. Closer to two hours is what you could expect on a typical day; three hours would not be unheard of. Using the ICC (also known as MD 200) would shave some of that time off (maybe as much as 30 minutes), but it's a toll road.

If you value your sanity, you will look to live somewhere closer.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:35 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,869,496 times
Quote:
I'm with everybody else. This makes no sense. I can see if you already lived in Urbana and had to commute, but you are actually taking a job at Adrews and moving to Urbana? Why would you do that? You will lose 3-5 hours a day just in commuting. Look at the Annapolis area, that would keep your commute under an hour, most times under 45 minutes.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:19 AM

128 posts, read 269,562 times
Holy BeJeebeeus, that's north of G'burg.....

No, man, just effing no!! I take 270 to 495 to get out at Langley Park (to get to DC) and during the workday, I have to leave my house no later than 7AM...otherwise 270 by itself is a nightmare. 495 not so bad for me since I'm on there for a couple of miles, but you have to go a lot further, and I'm telling you as someone who's been here for a few months....don't do it to yourself!!

That ~1 hour commute (each way) isn't that bad for me but like you, I looked at Google Maps and thought oh, 22 miles to work...that's not so bad...but like all rookies, that was a mistake that got made (still not terrible...but still.)

I leave my house at 6 and traffic is still pretty bad. Usually because some guy/gal will get pulled over on the HOV lane (driving by himself, of course...) by Billy-Bad-Ayce Trooper and people are driving to a crawl until they pass the excitement of someone pulled over. When that doesn't happen, or some fender bender, it is usually ok.

Seriously, this advice is coming from a transplant who has been here for close to 5 months...look further south for your new home...I looked at where Andrews is, and you do NOT want to commute from Urbana...not unless you want to leave at 4 in the morning and then leave for home around 7ish...just to not deal with that traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland