U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:49 AM
 
Location: where I dont want to be
240 posts, read 698,860 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariecug View Post
Sorry - but I love Maryland! Talk about opportunities - jobs, some of the best colleges in the country (tons of 'em), so much to do, good food.

Yeah, the people aren't warm and fuzzy but you have to find your own niche.

The worst thing here is the cost of living and traffic. But it is worth it in my opinion.
Than go to the forum where you LOVE MARYLAND. I don't live to work. I live to be with my kids and family nothing more. And what is there to do??? After 37 years there is only so much you can do trust me on that.

 
Unread 02-13-2008, 05:50 AM
 
Location: Maryland
6 posts, read 23,913 times
Reputation: 13
couldn't buy a house.
 
Unread 02-13-2008, 07:35 AM
 
5 posts, read 35,815 times
Reputation: 14
not to mention baltimore city having horrible schools poverty and crime
 
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
 
339 posts, read 839,039 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
think carefully about the alternatives before making a jump.

The things you'll notice if you move further South are that no one knows how to do their jobs. I mean no one. I could tell you plenty of stories, but suffice it to say that my husband and I are busting our butts to finish a whole bunch of work on our house ourselves in the next two weeks (!) because everyone we've hired over the last 3 1/2 years to do the job for us has screwed it up worse than it was before. But doctors, dentists, car dealers, teachers, politicians -- everyone down here is a screw up, which is a bit inconvenient. That's not to say that everyone up there is an expert at what they do, and cares to do the best job every time (in fact, my dad was nearly killed by a few doctors in NoVa a little while ago -- another long story) but at least you can find someone to do what you need reasonably competently most of the time.

Part of the reason everyone is such a screw-up down here is that you're not allowed to complain. People here are so afraid of any hint of confrontation that they totally don't know how to handle it. I asked my daughter's allergist a question at a visit once, and the guy avoided me for 6 months (wouldn't take my calls, went missing when I showed up in person) because he didn't want to tell me the answer was "no". I guess I was just supposed to infer the answer FROM A DOCTOR when he started avoiding me (Question: Can you give her this treatment I read about in the WSJ? Answer: No, I don't know how. Simple, right?)

Again, there are a ton of stories I could tell you like this, but the point is, no one here knows that they suck because (1) they've never seen anything done any better, and (2) no one ever tells them when they screw up. My HVAC guy got so mad when I showed him that the new system his crew installed didn't work right that he stormed off and sued me for payment rather than just fix it. He could not deal with a woman (especially a woman) criticizing his work, even when it was total crap (out-dated design built out of mis-matched pieces into a leaky hulk that filled my furnace and crawl space with gallons of water. . . "Oh, it's supposed to do that").

I have other complaints about the South

Did I mention that Southerners don't value learning? That my neighbor had to tell me how WEEEEIIIIRRRDD it was that I was teaching my kids French about 3-4 times in 5 minutes?


I know first hand exactly what you are talking about. We have a ton of stories from our 5 or so years living in the deep south. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. And, sad to say, most people who haven't experienced it for themselves will have a very hard time believing any of the stories are true.
 
Unread 02-13-2008, 04:41 PM
 
825 posts, read 2,144,466 times
Reputation: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaindow View Post
I know first hand exactly what you are talking about. We have a ton of stories from our 5 or so years living in the deep south. Couldn't get out of there fast enough. And, sad to say, most people who haven't experienced it for themselves will have a very hard time believing any of the stories are true.
!!!! I love you !!!! So many times people act as if I'm speaking in some alien language when I tell them about the South. But it's true!
 
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Temecula, CA
372 posts, read 1,102,698 times
Reputation: 118
LOL rossco17 the aggressive driving is off the hook! I don't know why people take driving so personally. Sheesh! Me and a ton of my friends are planning a relocation as MD has gotten too boring, expensive and aggravating and soon to be overcrowded. I have 2 friends moving to the Carolina's a coworker going to San Diengo, a girlfriend in Phoenix and another in Texas. All have no regrets about bailing this place. I have to agree with what most others are saying about living here and I agree I hated working 2 jobs just to pay my mortgage. it's not worth it...
 
Unread 02-16-2008, 05:58 PM
 
183 posts
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTripGurl View Post
LOL rossco17 the aggressive driving is off the hook! I don't know why people take driving so personally. Sheesh! Me and a ton of my friends are planning a relocation as MD has gotten too boring, expensive and aggravating and soon to be overcrowded. I have 2 friends moving to the Carolina's a coworker going to San Diengo, a girlfriend in Phoenix and another in Texas. All have no regrets about bailing this place. I have to agree with what most others are saying about living here and I agree I hated working 2 jobs just to pay my mortgage. it's not worth it...
The only advantages that Phoenix, San Diego and Texas has over MD is the weather other than that those places are pretty dull. If you have to have 2 jobs to pay ur mortgage in MD ur gonna need about 3 to do just that in San Diego
 
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:01 PM
 
183 posts
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys37 View Post
Than go to the forum where you LOVE MARYLAND. I don't live to work. I live to be with my kids and family nothing more. And what is there to do??? After 37 years there is only so much you can do trust me on that.
But that doesn't just go for Maryland that goes for anywhere. What type of things are you looking to do that you can't do in Maryland simply because you're 37 years old?????
 
Unread 02-16-2008, 06:43 PM
 
Location: MD
29 posts, read 192,273 times
Reputation: 23
I agree with you on some of those things, but you are being a pessimest. You have forgotten Maryland's southern hospitality
 
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:25 PM
 
Location: where I dont want to be
240 posts, read 698,860 times
Reputation: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
But that doesn't just go for Maryland that goes for anywhere. What type of things are you looking to do that you can't do in Maryland simply because you're 37 years old?????
I enjoy the beach 24/7, not a dirty beach like Ocean City. And no it doesn't go for anywhere.. this state is totally boring and might I add EXPENSIVE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top