Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM

353 posts, read 458,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
12.50?????????

You must not have really been trying hard enough to look for a High Paying Job and Affordable Residential Apartment in Maryland......

If you like living in Backwater Country NC thats fine but don't expect to find any place of Employment down there that pays very High........
Couple things:

I was 21 working in retail. So 12.50 is not too bad. But the thing is the job was in Odenton which is a very expensive place. I didn't have much time to research anything since I didn't get the job offer until about three weeks before my parents were going to move. So I was kinda stuck in a tight spot and had to make a quick decision. I absolutely hated NC at first. But over time I guess you kinda settle in. It's still far from perfect and if it was up to me I'd be living in Annapolis again but for the time being I have to make the most of what I have.

Also I hardly live in "backwater country NC". Greenville is a decent place with lots of shopping and a nice downtown area with cool bars and lots of college students which means it's easy to meet people. While I understand the perception of North Carolina is generally a negative one (I used to think the same way) perhaps you should do some research before you make those kinds of statements. Many places here are what would be considered backwater but there are a lot of areas that are growing.

As far as the job market goes well you don't really need a very high paying job to live. Which is a huge plus here. I would never be able to live on what I make now in MD. Good rents are dirt cheap here. The taxes are a bit higher but whatever.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,352,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2boys37 View Post
Ok, lets start this topic. Since I'm always the negative person or so people state, I would like to see how many others are fed up w/ the way Maryland has come and why they left.
Hmmm, let's see now. Why did I move from Maryland to New Mexico about fifteen years ago? I did not hate Maryland, nor do I now, but as I approached retirement I felt that Maryland with it's high property taxes on top of state and county income taxes did not make it a good place to retire. As well, the liberal politics of the State played a part in my decison to return to a place where I felt more at home. But mostly I think, as a native Texan, I grew weary of the grey winters and the humid summers.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:17 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,724 times
I grew up in PG county and lived in AA county for almost 20 years and moved away last year to Falling Waters WV. The reasons:

Overpriced housing
Over taxed/fees
Hard for a blue class working family to survive and got tired of trying
People not too friendly/downright rude at times
Everyone was trying to live up to the Jones

Old 06-13-2008, 03:45 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,941 times
If everybody on here is complaining about High Taxes and Cost of Living then why did most of you Voted for Martin O'Malley for Governor knowing that that he was no different from the Do Nothing former Governor Parris Glendenning and the fact that he didn't do a thing to improve the quality of life and improve economic growth when he was the worthless Mayor of Baltimore????????????????????????????????????????? ????????

Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,276 times
Quote:
If everybody on here is complaining about High Taxes and Cost of Living then why did most of you Voted for Martin O'Malley for Governor knowing that that he was no different from the Do Nothing former Governor Parris Glendenning and the fact that he didn't do a thing to improve the quality of life and improve economic growth when he was the worthless Mayor of Baltimore????????????????????????????????????????? ????????
we were lied to,what else you want to know?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:56 PM

1,890 posts, read 1,563,569 times
Quote:
amen!

Old 06-14-2008, 09:15 PM

44 posts, read 196,337 times
Quote:
12.50?????????

You Must Not Have Really Been Trying Hard Enough To Look For A High Paying Job And Affordable Residential Apartment In Maryland......

If You Like Living In Backwater Country Nc Thats Fine But Don't Expect To Find Any Place Of Employment Down There That Pays Very High........
Explain A Decent "affordable Apt In Maryland" There Honestly Isnt One Unless You Plan On Moving Far Out West Bumla**** Somewhere And Then Thats If Those Spots Even Offer Apts As An Option. Your Commute Would Be So Far It'd Be Pintless When You Think About How Far You'd Have To Drive, The Gas, You'd Basially Be Working Just To Afford To Get To And From Work.

I Saw His Response And Quite Frankly For A 21 Year Old, I'm Assuming With Little Skills And In Retail Thats Probably As Good As It Gets Might I Add 12.50 For Retail Is On The High End, Lol, Clearly Those Of Us Who've Never Been There Can Judge But Honestly You Can't Because You Haven't. I Remeber Looking For A Part Time To Complement My Full Time And Most Part Time Jobs In Retail At That Time Weren't Paying More Than 8.00/hr.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:21 AM

2,330 posts, read 4,401,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantone View Post
we were lied to,what else you want to know?
Lied to about what?????????

Didn't you people learn from being duped twice by do nothing all for nothing former Governor Parris Glendenning and the Fact that O'Malley didn't do a thing to improve the Quality of Life of Baltimore when he was Mayor.............

Bob Ehrlich was the best Candidate to serve his second term for Governor, It looks like the people that voted against Never really cared about making Maryland one of the best states in the US for Business, Economic, and Revenue Growth...........

Old 06-15-2008, 07:08 PM

485 posts, read 1,953,297 times
The General Assembly is a great problem for any Governor-they hate Baltimore, and are most interested in their own districts.

Sadly, the destruction of the State is not a priority for them, just bringing home the pork!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:05 PM

162 posts, read 801,685 times
Like so many others, we moved from Carroll County, MD to Hanover, PA back in 2002 b/c it was less expensive. The taxes are not lower in PA, though, just different. We couldn't afford a single family home in MD at that time and found one in Hanover that fit us.

Hanover, PA quickly became another bedroom community of Baltimore and even DC, though. We moved from there in 2005 b/c of my husband's job transfer. We live in VA Beach now.

There are things I really miss about MD, since I was born and raised there. There are things I definitely do not miss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland