Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 05:11 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,285 times

Advertisements

Terrapin--If you can deal with clientele in Potomac you will do just fine in Charlotte. They are the pushiest I have ever dealt with. I use to do medical billing for a LaRgE ob/gyn group in the DC area and that was a very trying job. As far as bosses being relaxed. I now work for a large hospital group in Charlotte and their rules are very as*backwards. People get fired just for being tardy even by one minute literally, leaving due to emergencies for a total of 5 times in one year. Everyone knows traffic in Charlotte and it is very easy to be late by one minute even if you leave your house an hour early. There are plenty of pharmacy jobs in Charlotte area but if laid back is what you want, don't move into the city. Go to the burbs.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:11 PM

44 posts, read 54,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
North Carolina actually sounds VERY promising. I'm more of a laid-back person and while I believe if doing your job right, I'm not a very anal or demanding customer. I'm going to pharmacy school in september in Baltimore and after 4 years I'll have to decide what kind of pharmacy to go into and also where to live (either a smaller city in Maryland away from the DC metro area....possibly Southern Maryland....or a southern or southwestern metro area excluding Las Vegas and Miami.....due to water problems and hurricanes and Miami's illegals)

I think people up north take their jobs TOO seriosuly sometimes, bosses are too demanding etc. I'm a pharmacy tech right now in Potomac and the customers, many of them have northern accents and they're very pushy and demanding and unreasonable. They yell at the staff for no reason. I cannot imagine living north of the Mason-Dixon Line and working at the pharmacy has really turned me off to anyone from the north.

So in North Carolina, I only have to be slightly better than anyone and I'll look really really good. I think that's a good thing. Honestly I like a relatively laid-back, non-competitive lifestyle. Its better for your heath too. I'm not surprised so many people in Potomac get anti-depressants and high blood pressure medication from the pharmacy.
Dang......

Old 01-30-2008, 07:15 PM

44 posts, read 54,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfbourne View Post
My husband and I are trying to get out of Maryland right now. It's just not for us. Both of us spent a good deal of our childhood growing up in mountains, myself in upstate NY and him in the mountains of CA. We want to get back to that to raise our children. I miss snow. I know we get a little bit at times, but not like I'm used to. Both of us have problems with the humidity in Maryland as well. For me its a trigger for my migraines, so I can't go out much in the summer. Also, I don't like my husband having an hour + commute from work in horrible traffic so that he's stressed when he gets home. And we would like to live in a place where a six figure salary allows us to get more than a small 2 bedroom townhouse, especially since we have a second child on the way. We are looking at the possibility of Colorado. They have jobs in his field that he can apply for there.

Maryland can be a great place for those who like it. My in laws like it, and they can afford it too. They have the big house, the boat to go out on the Chesapeak, the jet ski's to go have fun with too. They like the crabs and the seafood that go with living in Maryland too.
There are some things that I'll miss, but I figure I can get a little taste of it when we come back for visits. Everybody has to figure out where they will be happy. For us that's not Maryland, but I know that a lot of people wouldn't want the snow that we'll get in Colorado too. Each person had to figure out where they are happiest. I am just thankful that we live in a country that has such diverse places to live so that everyone has that choice.
You said everything in a nutshell....

Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by md to nc View Post
Terrapin--If you can deal with clientele in Potomac you will do just fine in Charlotte. They are the pushiest I have ever dealt with. I use to do medical billing for a LaRgE ob/gyn group in the DC area and that was a very trying job. As far as bosses being relaxed. I now work for a large hospital group in Charlotte and their rules are very as*backwards. People get fired just for being tardy even by one minute literally, leaving due to emergencies for a total of 5 times in one year. Everyone knows traffic in Charlotte and it is very easy to be late by one minute even if you leave your house an hour early. There are plenty of pharmacy jobs in Charlotte area but if laid back is what you want, don't move into the city. Go to the burbs.
Yes, that policy sounds like typical Charlotte -- appearances and B.S. (being absolutely on time) rather than substance (doing your job well). Skip Charlotte, it'll drive you nuts. Go to Cary/Apex instead.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:57 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanyali View Post
Yes, that policy sounds like typical Charlotte -- appearances and B.S. (being absolutely on time) rather than substance (doing your job well). Skip Charlotte, it'll drive you nuts. Go to Cary/Apex instead.
lol he may not want to go to CARY(containment area for relocated yankees)

Old 01-31-2008, 11:54 AM

915 posts, read 3,180,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
So true...
Apex too..stay far away from it...
Places to consider suburban with shopping

1) Garner
2) Anywhere in Johnston County lol
3) Clayton
4) Wendell
5) part of Orange County

Then again 2,3,4 might be too North Carolina for you.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:46 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
Haha I've heard the thing about Cary. But the Charlotte and Raleigh suburbs sounds good. Apex sounds like a promising area.

All I know at this point is I want to live somewhere in the South or the Southwest.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:00 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
Haha I've heard the thing about Cary. But the Charlotte and Raleigh suburbs sounds good. Apex sounds like a promising area.

All I know at this point is I want to live somewhere in the South or the Southwest.
hmm above post said avoid apex.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM

122 posts, read 379,763 times
Default columbus ohio or frederick md which is better

anybody familiar with columbus ohio? give an opinion on both please

Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 PM

240 posts, read 1,065,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy View Post
anybody familiar with columbus ohio? give an opinion on both please
Definitely not Frederick...I don't know enough about Ohio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland