Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 24,836 times

Advertisements

I am seriously considering a move to Cumberland, Maryland at the end of next year.

My family and I have looked at several states, and as our income streams are not dependent on location, we can live anywhere there is a good internet connection. We have been searching for a city that is somewhat depressed, so our salaries will go farther there than they would perhaps in other places. However, safety is still an issue, and from what we have read online about Cumberland, it seems to fit into our criteria. I am nervous about drug issues though, as we've heard that the city is plagued with them.

We have lived in Hagerstown, MD for 3 years, and in various other places prior to that - western NY - Houston, Texas - southern PA - Florida. Anyway, for very specific reasons, we feel finally ready to purchase a home here and actually settle. The children in our family are grown, and will all be out of the nest when we move, so the school system isn't an issue.

We have not ever visited Cumberland, even though we live close by. We will be remedying that lack very soon, but as hopeful residents, where should we go, and what should we see? We hope to walk some streets and get a feel for the location. What's a definite must do?

Does anyone have any advice as far as real estate brokers or agents to contact, or to stay away from? I heard there was a program to attract artists? How does that work?

Initially we were hoping to pay cash on a foreclosure, but housing prices seem so cheap, we are now considering a small mortgage. Since we have some experience with construction and house flipping, we aren't deterred with a home that needs repairs - in fact, we are hoping to find one we can rehab and live in and make our own.

Also, how terrible are the winters? Compared to Hagerstown, I mean?

Thanks bunches!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:59 AM

6,999 posts, read 11,298,847 times
Some quick advice,

- If you could handle the drug issues in Hagerstown, you should be fine in Cumberland. It is a problem, but not out of whack when compared to other small cities in similar situations.

- If you live in the city limits, the winters should be no worse than Hagerstown. That being said, as you go up in elevation, the snow fall tends to increase.......especially as you head west.

- I will write back later with some suggested streets to visiting, things to do, etc. I will offer one piece of advice on cash/mortgage.........you get what you pay for, even in Cumberland. If you try to dip too far down in price, you are likely to end up in a worse neighborhood where the problems the city does have will be more squarely in your face every day.

What price point where you considering? I also know the city well, so if you throw out street names of places you are looking at, I will give you my honest opinion. Good luck, and I will check back in later.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:31 PM

The must see list includes Washington St., the historic/current street of the wealthy in town. There are some amazing houses on that street and the architectural styles range from mid 1800s at the bottom of the hill to newer structure at the top. Baltimore St. is pretty much an extension of Washington St. and is our town's historic downtown. It is a pedestrian mall now, with some cool shops, although many of the gems remain vacant.

The scenic railroad is a pretty common touristy thing to do, although it won't help you learn much about the city itself.

www.mdmountainside.com

I would recommend looking at the website above and planning out your trip. If you have houses to look at, that is an itinerary on its own. If not, I would be sure to book some things to do. In all honestly, once the leaves drop, it can get pretty dreary out here.......it isn't the best time to come look at the city, we look our most thread worn once the trees are bare and the gloom of the short days comes.

Again, if you have any specific questions about streets, let me know.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:38 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,087,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westsideboy View Post
In all honestly, once the leaves drop, it can get pretty dreary out here.......it isn't the best time to come look at the city, we look our most thread worn once the trees are bare and the gloom of the short days comes.
This is pretty much true of many towns in central to western MD, PA, WV, and VA. As you said it has to do with bare trees and short days.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:19 PM

Thanks for all of the info. It looks like I can make a trip over this weekend. I will definitely check out the streets and areas you recommended. We've been looking at available real estate on both Zillow and Trulia, and Trulia has a great feature where you can see the crime areas of the city outlined in red. So you can see where the house is located, and whether it's a bad section or not. The streets mentioned in other posts about Cumberland - Baltimore Ave, Maryland Ave, Virginia Ave and Columbia Street - are all areas that look like they definitely should be avoided. A few of my friends from Frederick and Smithsburg had nothing but really bad things to say about Cumberland, so now I am sort of nervous about even considering the city, but the area looks very pretty, so I am willing to come take a look.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyHollyHey View Post
Thanks for all of the info. It looks like I can make a trip over this weekend. I will definitely check out the streets and areas you recommended. We've been looking at available real estate on both Zillow and Trulia, and Trulia has a great feature where you can see the crime areas of the city outlined in red. So you can see where the house is located, and whether it's a bad section or not. The streets mentioned in other posts about Cumberland - Baltimore Ave, Maryland Ave, Virginia Ave and Columbia Street - are all areas that look like they definitely should be avoided. A few of my friends from Frederick and Smithsburg had nothing but really bad things to say about Cumberland, so now I am sort of nervous about even considering the city, but the area looks very pretty, so I am willing to come take a look.
Cumberland isn't for everyone, we have our flaws to be sure, but I would consider how much on the ground experience your friends have before worrying too much. We get slammed by a lot of people who know nothing, or virtually nothing about our city.

Living in Cumberland ain't staying at the ritz. If you can accept this, love the outdoors, and pick your neighborhood well (You seem to have the "big 4" areas to avoid already IDed) Cumberland is a great, cheap place to live. If you were OK in Hagerstown, you should be fine here.........and this weekend should be a beautiful time to visit. You should hit the peak of the fall colors, which are great this year.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:47 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
I don't live in Cumberland, but I've gone there many times for work, and also some times for pleasure. In my opinion, it's really a diamond in the rough. They've been dealt some bad hands, what with the decline of their industrial base and the resultant loss of population and all. But through it all, they've managed to hold on, and re-create their city into a place with a surprising amount of charm. (Washington Street is truly beautiful. If I were going to live in Cumberland, that's the first place I would look, assuming I could afford it.) One thing that always strikes me when I go out there is how courteous the drivers are. Many times, I've been waiting to pull out of a parking lot or a side street, and someone will slow down and wave me in. It's such a refreshing change from what I'm used to in the far more congested part of the state where I live.

To be sure, parts of Cumberland are rough around the edges. (Though, there is NOTHING there, not even Jane Frazier Village, that is as bad as the slums of Baltimore.) And it's not that big of a place, in terms of population. This is a plus for some, and a minus for others. I, personally, would not want to live there, because it's too remote for my tastes, and it doesn't have some of the amenities that I've come to enjoy in the suburban area in which I live. (But they have a Chick-fil-A now! Woo-hoo!) But I always enjoy visiting it. And I can certainly see its appeal, for someone who can appreciate it for what it is, instead of knocking it for not being what they wish it was.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 AM

So, I visited this weekend and I have to say, I believe I will be going again. Cumberland definitely isn't off the list yet.

I had lunch at the Crabby Pig, and then we spent some time walking around in the Canal area. The nearness of the highway overhead put me out a little, but is a beautiful spot. Everyone there seemed friendly, and a couple of guys on their bike wanted us to take a picture of them. Just a really good vibe overall in a pretty location.

We stopped outside the visitor's center, which looked closed. They had a table with a lot of brochures, and we grabbed a few. For some reason, this included information about Gettysburg, which I am quite sure isn't too close. *shrugs* Anyway, there was a handy walking tour pamphlet and a map we used a few times. That was great.

Following the map, we walked to the downtown pedestrian mall and found that quite delightful. Apparently a trick or treat event had just finished, so there were some families about. We popped in and out of shops all throughout the area, and spoke candidly with several people - asking them where they themselves lived, and how did they feel about the city. Again, everyone was awesome, and we received lots of tips on streets to check out. One guy gave us his phone number and email address - and later, one person actually suggested that we get in touch with this same person, not knowing we had already spoken to him. So I felt that small town vibe. Heh

After the walking tour, we went back to our car and drove to a couple of neighborhoods that were suggested on the west side - Washington Street was closed - for the festival, I think - but we explored Saratoga Street and some surrounding streets over there. The houses were nice but the streets were definitely narrow and steep. I am interested to visit in the winter to see how crazy these roads are to drive on. Any input?

We decided to then drive around to look at houses on Zillow that were listed as super cheap foreclosures, figuring that'd be a great way to see perhaps the sketchier areas on the eastern side of the city. I won't list all the addresses, but we looked at 4 properties there and I have to say, it wasn't all horror. For one, unlike Hagerstown, I didn't see people idly standing around on corners or sitting outside on their porches, looking like drug dealers waiting for customers. For every rundown house we saw, there was one nearby which was looking rehabilitated and like the owners cared. It was a little encouraging, actually.

I am looking forward to coming back in a few weeks and seeing more on the north and south sides, and maybe taking a trip to LaVale and Frostburg.

Old 11-02-2015, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyHollyHey View Post
So, I visited this weekend and I have to say, I believe I will be going again. Cumberland definitely isn't off the list yet.

I had lunch at the Crabby Pig, and then we spent some time walking around in the Canal area. The nearness of the highway overhead put me out a little, but is a beautiful spot. Everyone there seemed friendly, and a couple of guys on their bike wanted us to take a picture of them. Just a really good vibe overall in a pretty location.

We stopped outside the visitor's center, which looked closed. They had a table with a lot of brochures, and we grabbed a few. For some reason, this included information about Gettysburg, which I am quite sure isn't too close. *shrugs* Anyway, there was a handy walking tour pamphlet and a map we used a few times. That was great.

Following the map, we walked to the downtown pedestrian mall and found that quite delightful. Apparently a trick or treat event had just finished, so there were some families about. We popped in and out of shops all throughout the area, and spoke candidly with several people - asking them where they themselves lived, and how did they feel about the city. Again, everyone was awesome, and we received lots of tips on streets to check out. One guy gave us his phone number and email address - and later, one person actually suggested that we get in touch with this same person, not knowing we had already spoken to him. So I felt that small town vibe. Heh

After the walking tour, we went back to our car and drove to a couple of neighborhoods that were suggested on the west side - Washington Street was closed - for the festival, I think - but we explored Saratoga Street and some surrounding streets over there. The houses were nice but the streets were definitely narrow and steep. I am interested to visit in the winter to see how crazy these roads are to drive on. Any input?

We decided to then drive around to look at houses on Zillow that were listed as super cheap foreclosures, figuring that'd be a great way to see perhaps the sketchier areas on the eastern side of the city. I won't list all the addresses, but we looked at 4 properties there and I have to say, it wasn't all horror. For one, unlike Hagerstown, I didn't see people idly standing around on corners or sitting outside on their porches, looking like drug dealers waiting for customers. For every rundown house we saw, there was one nearby which was looking rehabilitated and like the owners cared. It was a little encouraging, actually.

I am looking forward to coming back in a few weeks and seeing more on the north and south sides, and maybe taking a trip to LaVale and Frostburg.
I am glad you enjoyed yourself.

Brick streets + hilly terrain + ice or snow = bad traction. The city does an OK job of snow removal by area standards, but people learn how to get from point A to point B by the flattest means possible.

It is also important to remember that a traffic jam in Cumberland is having to wait 2 cycles before getting through a traffic light, rush hour is noon -1:00pm when workers drive to get their lunch. Traffic isn't a problem in Cumberland by any means and people are used to driving in the snow.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:43 PM

Original poster here! I visited Cumberland and La Vale today, just to get an idea of the city in a different season. There was rain off and on, so it definitely was a Spring-style impression!

We had several houses on our list to look at - and we have a definite decision that we dislike the Northwest section that they were clustered in. The houses themselves were decent - as were the neighborhoods - but the roads were really awful. We were in a small car, but as it was a Sunday, everyone was home and the streets were super narrow. The longer we spent in town, the more unhappy I was. The state of the streets was crazy too - how the residents don't destroy their vehicles in the potholes and uneven pavement is beyond me! Some brick-look areas were more patch than the original surface! But overall, I dislike street parking, and with it lining both sides of the road, I just can't imagine living in an area that seems so closed in.

That said we did see a couple places that had driveways, and less congested parking along the street because of that. We still have Cumberland on the list. We have a couple of other cities we are considering, but it may just come down to the available inventory when we are ready to finally purchase something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland