Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM

17 posts, read 17,962 times

Advertisements

Hello,

It's been one year since I moved to Maryland from the Midwest. I got great feedback on this forum for choosing and renting an apartment back then.

I currently rent in wheaton & am working in Silver Spring dowtown, Maryland. My wife found a job and works in Dupont Circle now.

I am planning to buy a house or townhome by mid of next year(or towards the end).

Here are my requirements for the location, commute and type of homes:

1. My wife needs to travel by metro to Dupont Circle and the commute should be less than an hour.
2. I don't mind driving to my work at Silver Spring, but the commute should be less than 45-50 mins.
3. We don't have kids yet, but would prefer an area with a school rating of atleast 6.
4. Our budget is around 300k-325k.
5. We are looking for a 3 bed 2 bath townhome / single family home
6. Area should be relatively low on crime.

My initial thought was Rockville(closer to the metro/ drivable to metro). But that area still seems over our budget on most cases.

I was wondering if I could get advice on other options as well ( or options within rockville)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 04:38 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_tester View Post
1. My wife needs to travel by metro to Dupont Circle and the commute should be less than an hour.
2. I don't mind driving to my work at Silver Spring, but the commute should be less than 45-50 mins.
3. We don't have kids yet, but would prefer an area with a school rating of atleast 6.
One thought is an older house in Greenbelt, around Greenbelt Elementary (rated 6 of 10). It should feed into Greenbelt Middle and Eleanor Roosevelt High School.

Another thought is around the Forest Knolls Elementary School (rated 6 of 10) in the Four Corners area of Silver Spring. You can use Redfin.com to search on the school. There is one house currently in your price range, and several others might be negotiable. (For example, look at the two townhouses on Kinsman View Circle priced around $350K.)

A further thought is simply to buy what you can afford now, and plan to move later, after you have kids and can afford to pay more. Everywhere that has better schools is going to command a premium price.

Last edited by goldenage1; 10-26-2015 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 08:42 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Quote:
Hello,

It's been one year since I moved to Maryland from the Midwest. I got great feedback on this forum for choosing and renting an apartment back then.

I currently rent in wheaton & am working in Silver Spring dowtown, Maryland. My wife found a job and works in Dupont Circle now.

I am planning to buy a house or townhome by mid of next year(or towards the end).

Here are my requirements for the location, commute and type of homes:

5. We are looking for a 3 bed 2 bath townhome / single family home
6. Area should be relatively low on crime.

My initial thought was Rockville(closer to the metro/ drivable to metro). But that area still seems over our budget on most cases.

I was wondering if I could get advice on other options as well ( or options within rockville)

Thanks!
The constraints of the budget will be having a 1h commute to dupont within a good school district. That's a very low budget, so naturally you'll be in school districts with lower income and immigrant populations. That doesn't mean the schools will be bad/ill-funded/have crappy teachers, but it does mean the test scores at the school will be lower, on average (which is what the number rating score is solely based on).

I'd recommend North Kensington/Wheaton. The schools won't be great, but not bad for the price. Besides, you'd likely move before your kids were in middle/high school anyways. Not to mention the schools/area might be completely different by, anyways.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:49 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times
Also, it makes sense to post this in the DC area subforum for more replies: http://www.city-data.com/forum/washi...urbs-maryland/

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,090,275 times
How long is the trip from Shady Grove to Dupont Circle on Metro? It has been a long while since I made the trip but I seem to remember thatit took 20-30 minutes at least for that ride. That only gives you 30-40 minutes max for the trip to Metro to stay within the hour.

I believe it would be a much longer Metro ride from the Wheaton end of the Red Line which would cut your radius from the station even more

Old 10-27-2015, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
How long is the trip from Shady Grove to Dupont Circle on Metro? It has been a long while since I made the trip but I seem to remember thatit took 20-30 minutes at least for that ride. That only gives you 30-40 minutes max for the trip to Metro to stay within the hour.

I believe it would be a much longer Metro ride from the Wheaton end of the Red Line which would cut your radius from the station even more
That's another option, as there are townhouses or TH/condos in that price range. Both would have longish commutes with the husband driving to downtown Silver Spring, and the wife using Metro to Dupont.

Old 10-28-2015, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. It makes sense. I think I shouldn't worry about schooling for now.
My only reason for having school rating of 6 or above was resale value ( my assumption/prediction was few years down the line i might get a good deal due to at least having average schools around)

Old 10-29-2015, 03:35 PM

155 posts, read 234,019 times
You should be able to find something in Gaithersburg, I used to live in Olde Town and commuted to Arlington (passing Du Point) and door to door I think it was about an hour.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:26 PM

How about Odenton under zip code 21113?
The townhome for 3 bed 2 bath costs around 270-300k. The school ratings are above 7. The commute is just about an 1 hr by public transport.

I am not familiar with the area, so am trying to research the neighborhood, crime rate etc.

I would appreciate if someone familiar with the area could give some pointers.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
How about Odenton under zip code 21113?
The townhome for 3 bed 2 bath costs around 270-300k. The school ratings are above 7. The commute is just about an 1 hr by public transport.
I am not familiar with the area, so am trying to research the neighborhood, crime rate etc.
It is a very good area, but more in the suburbs of Baltimore. Many people working at Fort Meade live there.

But the commute to Dupont Circle is supposedly 51 minutes by MARC and Red Line; that does not count driving to the parking lot or walk time. Ask your wife how she feels about the commute.

I think you could find equally acceptable alternatives closer to DC among the choices already given you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland