Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2015, 09:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,158 times

Advertisements

Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster here.

I put my room up for rent for a couple of days now on Craig's list and I have gotten zero replies. (My apologies if linking to craig's list isn't allowed: Downtown Silver Spring Room in Spacious Townhouse)

Just wondering what I'm doing wrong. Actually I know I could probably add more details since I just copy/pasted from the last girl who's room I took over. Is the lack of replies due to posting it on a Friday night when most people are out? Am I overthinking since it's only been a couple of days?

I thought I'd get lots of interest since it's a great deal in a decent area with no rodent problems or anything like that. Is it the living with 3 other people a deal breaker for most? Even when we're all out working I still have significant time to be alone, it's pretty sweet IMO, but apparently not :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 11:23 PM

13,366 posts, read 27,000,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsDead View Post
Is it the living with 3 other people a deal breaker for most?
You have to be honest about the situation, but 3 people sharing a bathroom does sound like a deal breaker. Have you researched what aother people are charging, and is your unit competitive? Is there any way to provide more bathroom privacy?

Old 11-09-2015, 04:57 AM

1,539 posts, read 2,302,405 times
Have you tried hotpads as well? I didn't look at the ad but if its located near a college or hospital then ask the HR or student services reps if you can advertise your rental at those places too.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 AM

222 posts, read 270,510 times
I think the deal breaker is sharing with 3 other roommates in the area. People might be more open to living with three roommates if you were in DC but not so much in Silver spring. Try lowering the price to see if you get more bites.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:02 AM

There are two bathrooms, but one is in the basement and is only used by the girl who's room is down there. There haven't really been "bathroom" problems for me since I shower the night before instead of the morning of. I'd be the first one up anyway since I had to be at my job at 8 am.

Can't lower the price, price is set by the leasing office. It's not my property, just trying to switch names on the lease. One of my roommates goes to GWU, is that something to "advertise"? Although I know it's mid-semester...just not a good time to rent?

I have price checked and usually even around Downtown Silver Spring the price of a room with a shared bathroom is at least $700 not including utilities. It's right on 16th Street, literally a 5 minute walk or less to Silver Spring Metro.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsDead View Post
One of my roommates goes to GWU, is that something to "advertise"? Although I know it's mid-semester...just not a good time to rent?
It's probably good say that you are OK with students. I would also tone down the emphasis on neatness a little. I know you want to get someone who fits in, but try to sound more relaxed.

If the price is right you should find someone eventually. Good luck.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:47 AM

222 posts, read 270,510 times
While it may work for your work schedule, it may not work for the majority. When I moved and was transferring a lease, I ate the cost and just paid the difference and offered my unit on craigslist for below what I was paying to get out. I'm not sure if advertising one room mate going to GWU would be a selling point as it would still be a 45 min commute to school. Generally spring/summer are the best times to list rentals.

As far as pricing goes, it seems every block outside the metro exponentially decreases the desireableness of living in DTSS. Being on 16th St definitely does not help either unfortunately as many of the new high rises are offering tempting incentives such as one free month rent with a 12 month lease. If I were y

Old 11-09-2015, 07:01 AM

If the downstairs bath is not within the private room and is shareable, I would just say you have 4 bedrooms and 2 baths. Then you can let the new person figure out whether she wants to use it.

Old 11-10-2015, 06:42 AM

Thanks for the advice. I added more details and removed the part regarding "cleanliness". (Although it doesn't seem to have updated, made a new one) Also posted on HotPads, finally got a few responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: