Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Jersey transplant offered work in Chestertown, moving to Maryland, saying goodbye to rat race, Chestertown elementary schools, good school district, Chester River boundary, Kent County

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:34 PM

4 posts, read 14,228 times

Advertisements

My husband was just offered a position in Chestertown and we are extremely excited about moving to Maryland. We are ready to get out of the rat race in NJ and slow down a bit and enjoy our 3 kids.

We could really use some guidance on where to live though. Since we have 3 little ones (4 , 2 and 4 months) schools are a priority. He will be working in Chestertown so we would like to keep his commute under 20 minutes. Any suggestions on towns? We are hoping to live off his salary so we will be looking for a home under $300,000. This is nearly impossible in NJ. Can anyone comment on the elementary school in Chestertown? Should we look on the other side of the Chester river? Our only other concern about location is that we do not move south of Chestertown since all our family will still be in good old New Jersey.

Thanks in advance for your help! We can't wait to move to your beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2008, 11:34 PM

25 posts, read 165,950 times
CSC: Boy, are you in for a culture shock, but in a good way if you want to slow down. Kent County has about 19,000 residents, being the lightest populated County in Maryland. If you live in Chestertown (one of my favorite spots in the State), your school would by HH Garnett.

Kent County Public Schools - Henry Highland Garnett Elementary

Kent County has some of the best schools in the State, because of its small size, and only one high school.

2007 Maryland Report Card

Best of luck on your move, and enjoy Chestertown.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,908 times
Go back to NJ before it's too late!!!

Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM

32 posts, read 35,632 times
Default Chestertown and moving advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cschindl View Post
My husband was just offered a position in Chestertown and we are extremely excited about moving to Maryland. We are ready to get out of the rat race in NJ and slow down a bit and enjoy our 3 kids.

We could really use some guidance on where to live though. Since we have 3 little ones (4 , 2 and 4 months) schools are a priority. He will be working in Chestertown so we would like to keep his commute under 20 minutes. Any suggestions on towns? We are hoping to live off his salary so we will be looking for a home under $300,000. This is nearly impossible in NJ. Can anyone comment on the elementary school in Chestertown? Should we look on the other side of the Chester river? Our only other concern about location is that we do not move south of Chestertown since all our family will still be in good old New Jersey.

I have lived near chestertown for the last 2 years and visit often for shopping, cultural events ( washington college), and occasional business. you may want to look at chester harbor, across the chester river in queen anne's county. property may be somewhat less expensive than kent co, but i don't know how their school system compares.
i live just over delaware line in middletown- about 35 minutes from chestertown- and there would be many more housing options here, although you wouldn't have the charm of chestertown. school system is known to be good- many move here for that reason- and de. has no state tax.

just some thoughts to consider.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:07 PM

21 posts, read 61,125 times
I might suggest Church Hill. Its 7 minutes south of Chestertown and If you feel the need to get to a larger town such as Dover or annapolis. They are both about 40 minutes away. Schools in Queen Anne are great. Don't know about Elementary schools per say. But high schools in Queen Anne's are ok. Knew a few people who went to Kent County High and said bad things about it.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 PM

Thanks so much for your help. I actually did some consulting for Appo the past few years so I am familiar with your great district. We are hoping to get as close to Chestertown since my husband will be working at the college and we LOVE the charm of the city. Do you know anything about schools surrounding the college? I found stats online but I would really appreciate personal feedback.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:42 PM

I was looking into homes in Church Hill. I'm glad to hear you recommend it. It seems like it might be best to be on the other side of the Chester river. Is that the general feel in the 2 counties?? I want a place where we can be outside, meet other young families and my kids can get a great education. Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 PM

11 posts, read 45,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cschindl View Post

Schools aren't to bad in the Chestertown area which is kent County, Maryland. Cecil County is not far away and home prices and Schools are also very good. There are a lot of Private Schools in this area of Maryland. The complete area of Chestertown is comparible to Cape May NJ very quaint and comfortable.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:58 AM

8 posts, read 17,577 times
Hi,

I too am from N.J. shore area originally. We moved here 8.5 years ago and have been pretty satisfied. Chestertown is charming, although for malls, activities you will travel 40-55 minutes(Dover,Wilmington De, Annapolis Md.). As for jobs, same thing. I am a Realtor here and I can tell you home prices have dropped signifigantly. I live in Queen Anne's County, right across the river from Kent County, in a water privlidged community were home prices and taxes aren't bad.
The only issues we have are that gas,food and everything else has gotten so
expensive(thus, traveling for jobs,fun,etc.) as with the rest of the country. Right now is truly a buyer's market, rates and home prices are low. Check out Homes.com for neighborhood,school reports etc. Very informative. I hope this
helps. Good luck!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 AM

19 posts, read 52,871 times
hi Chinagirl and chestertown people
I am also looking to transplant from New Jersey
hub has a job that takes him to wilmington, de
and parts of MD constantly
my concern is my high school age son,
has Asperger's syndrome
i need which ever high school we decide to transplant
him into to also follow his IEP
we were looking in Galena/Chestertown
as it seems to have more what we were looking for
as far as a nice home around 250k
i'm done with huge mortgages
i just want a ranch with a 2 car garage
but in cecil county they were more expensive
or not existant...everything seemed higher priced
and higher state/city taxes
it does concern me that the whole county goes to ONE high school
I've heard there are racial fights at that school
but quite honestly, I believe someone would say that about
where we live in NJ too...and our school.

40-50 minutes to SHOP from chestertown?
is galena better?
I just need a target/walmart
grocery store
close...
and don't mind traveling to clothes shop
as we drive about 25-30 minutes for that now
anything else anyone can tell me about the area
would be most appreciated
i like the idea of country area but near water too
which is why maryland so appeals to me
thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland