Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:22 PM

5 posts, read 94,790 times

Advertisements

I called the insurance company when I first found out about the mold and the insurance agent couldn't get me off the phone quick enough! Basically she told me that mold is not covered at all.....click!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,734 times
Your situation sounds awfully familiar. Do I know you? S Horsey

Old 02-28-2008, 09:23 AM

50 posts, read 336,148 times
Since you know of the problem, I don't believe you can file a disclaimer; even if you sell the house "as is", that still requires you to tell the buyer what you know (used mostly on houses the owner hasn't lived in). It doesn't really matter, any kind of disclaimer or "as is" clause will definitely lower your home value. You would also risk the whole deal falling through with the home inspection clause. Your best bet is to price your house well (increasingly hard to figure out in this market), and emphasize everything you did to fix the problem. Instead of testing it yourself again, which the buyer would be suspicious of anyway, I would encourage the buyer to test the house themselves and allow the sale to be contingent upon the results.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,644 times
i just recently bought a house, only to find three days later, that the entire walls have mold????
HELP!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 AM

195 posts, read 745,140 times
lferrari - when you say you "bought" a house - do you mean you wrote an offer that was accepted on the house? Or you actually settled on a house and now own it? Answering this question will help me

Old 10-28-2010, 05:53 AM

47 posts, read 87,137 times
Hi...

I am aware of mold stigma problem but I never saw any house having this problem. I also deals with selling and buying of houses but I never sold or bought a house with this problem so I don't know much more about this but ya I am also searching for the fair market value of these houses. If anyone knows about this problem and the market value of this type of houses then please tell me. I really need help on this.

Thanks...

Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM

28 posts, read 90,979 times
hi,
Well I think you first had to solve this problem then you have to sold it but you dint okay no issue with it, Now I am not getting what issue exactly you have now...

Old 12-30-2010, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davie46 View Post
I said I was going to disclose the mold issue. What is dishonest about that?

The house is worth less now. Mold still can come back. You should of been checking your home every 3 months. And now to think someone else wants to pay for you falling asleep at the wheel of home ownership. You must take the loss. Who wants to try to sell a home later and explain your problems. And If people have children, people with asthma you again are putting them at risk. Give it a rest. Nothing is 100% fixed. Look at that mold contract.
Real Estate agents who say it is no big deal. I can bet do not live in a home with mold just ask them. Real Estate agents get the best deals, get the best homes. And make sure the house is in tip top shape before they move their families into them. And why shouldn't everyone else.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 9,684 times
Default so my question is about how much value does it go down?

tons of lawsuits (http://www.teambenya.com/charles_county_real_estat/2007/11/secret-room-lea.html - broken link), and even some agents refuse to show homes with disclosed mold issues, remediated or not, because they don't want the risk or liability.

I don't mean to be a naysayer, but it's an uphill battle to sell a home in a slow market for full value with a disclosed (former) mold issue.[/quote]

So if a home is valued at about 125k without mold, then how much lower would you guess it would sell for?

Old 06-19-2013, 11:22 AM

2 posts, read 6,649 times
Default Just bought a house and found out it has mold

I just bought a home and decided to get the air ducts cleaned out. When they came out to clean the air ducts, they told me I had lots of mold in the air ducts and it's in the fiberglass insulation surrounding the duct work as well. Mold was not disclosed as the seller said that she wasn't aware of it. The inspection company doesn't test for mold. I have had four restoration companies come out and tell me the same thing. The whole duct system would have to be removed and all of the insulation. The whole duct system would have to be removed from inside the house as the home has a flat roof and no attic. It would be a huge job and cost at least $13,000 - $25,000 depending upon whether or not they find asbestos in the ceilings. All of my belongings would have to be moved out of the house and I would have to find a place to live while the work is being done. A sample of the mold was taken and sent to a lab. The mold is a "Cladosporium" species which is seen on surfaces everywhere. However there is heavy growth of it. It's dormant and apparently non-toxic.

Should I just let it be, or should I get this remediated and make the Real Estate Company pay for it?

I'm very disappointed, and frustrated. Can anyone shed some light on what I should do?

Does anyone know if I have a case against the Real Estate Company I bought the house through?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland