Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2016, 02:38 PM

71 posts, read 160,577 times

Advertisements

Hello:

I am hoping that someone could give me some pointers about the following topics (questions) with regard to Salisbury, Maryland -

1. Where (mainly websites) should I search for a studio to rent? I have done some searching and what I have found are mostly 2 (or more) bedroom apartments. Of course, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me which areas (unsafe) to avoid to rent.

2. Is the whole city "walkable"? If not, which areas are "walkable" (to supermarkets), as I won't be able to drive a car, due to some health issues.

3. What would be the convenient way (or ways ... and perhaps the most "economical") to get to Salisbury from Baltimore?

4. What is the average temperature in winter and in summer?

Thank you so very much for your assistance and help in advance!

Joseph

Last edited by Jozeph; 03-13-2016 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 09:58 AM

789 posts, read 1,085,256 times
Well you are going to be disappointed my friend.

1. Studio apartments are rare and expensive because of Salisbury University. Often times a 2br house can end up costing the same as a studio apartment anyways, so the difference does not always matter in terms of rent. There are a lot of unsafe places to rent; especially avoid neighborhoods near Fitzgerald Street, Lake Street, E. Church Street, Washington Street, Carrollton Avenue, East Road (E Rd) and Maryland Avenue.

2. The whole city is not walkable really in any way. About the only 'walkable' areas are those adjacent to City Park, and along US 13 from about College Avenue north to Hammond Street. Downtown too, but there aren't any real amenities there. Anything else is just too spread out and not pedestrian-friendly. The most accessible grocery stores are Route 50 & Cypress Street (Save-A-Lot) and Route 13 & North/South Boulevards (Giant Food).

3. A greyhound bus is the only way to travel between the two without a car. Intracity transportation is a complete joke too.

4. Sometimes chilly, mostly wet winters. Maybe 6" of snow total though. Have gotten well over a foot occasionally. Hot, humid summers, but often windy enough to feel nice (thanks to the Wicomico River and Chesapeake Bay)

Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,930,951 times
^
The hot humid summers part is what I hate about the whole region. It sux!

Old 03-16-2016, 11:16 AM

789 posts, read 1,085,256 times
Just another excuse to be out on the water as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:35 AM

6 posts, read 7,709 times
Agree that it's not really a walk-able city in terms of being able to walk to the major stores/shops you would need to live your life.
It has more crime than it should for such a small city - the areas mentioned previously are definitely correct to avoid. I would add Jersey Road and Delaware avenue to that list as well.

They do have a small bus system that has reasonable routes and rates.

Old 04-08-2016, 04:56 PM

71 posts, read 160,577 times
Lots to think about ...

Thank you all for your detailed responses !

Old 04-26-2016, 05:09 PM

57 posts, read 75,328 times
SALISBURY IS FAR FROM "SAFE". I would not move there in a million years. Horrible violent crime and definitely one of the worst places on the eastern shore. You will not be happy there. Trust me.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:03 AM

3 posts, read 3,790 times
I went to the university there back in the mid 2000's. Most students knew that the crime rate was as comparable to Baltimore's crime rate (I guess that's changed now with last year's events). I received bi-weekly emails from campus police about students being robbed at gunpoint when walking around off-campus or having home break-ins.

Summer humidity is outrageous. If heat's your thing, this is the place to be. It can get really foggy here that there will be 1-2 hour school delays. Oh and the wind strength is real. On the plus side, the winters are mild and there isn't a lot of snowfall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: