Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 09:06 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times

Advertisements

My husband was register to vote in DC until we moved to Maryland last yr. He had no issues voting in DC but when he went to vote today, He was told Independents can not vote. He was also told Independents only vote in Maryland for the Primary election only. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 10:27 PM

123 posts, read 381,347 times
Well sort of. Independents can not vote for either party right now because this vote is to decide who we want to run for which ever party we are affiliated with. However, Independents are allowed to vote in all nonpartisan primary held in their jurisdiction. Unless there was none; yes he should be allowed to vote. I would suggest contacting the Maryland State Board of Elections right away. An example of nonpartisan vote is for the Board of Education. What they did is wrong and against the law.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:20 PM

74 posts, read 421,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
My husband was register to vote in DC until we moved to Maryland last yr. He had no issues voting in DC but when he went to vote today, He was told Independents can not vote. He was also told Independents only vote in Maryland for the Primary election only. Is this correct?
Every state has different rules with regard to primary voting. In Virginia, for example, Republicans can vote for a Democratic candidate in the primaries and vice versa (although they can't vote in more than one party's primaries). The rule in Maryland is if you want to vote in a party's primaries you have to be a registered member of that party. That's just the way it is.

Those two sentences I've bolded contradict each other (at least as far as today's voting is concerned, since it was the primaries today), so I'm not sure what you meant to say there.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:33 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default Kudos to Maryland voters!

For giving Obama the win there. Obviously, the state is made up of many progressive, wise, and enlightened people. Send some of that wisdom this way to the state of California. We need it!

Old 02-13-2008, 04:32 AM

83 posts, read 325,080 times
The rule is that Independents can only vote in nonpartisan elections like a board of education during the Primary election. You will get to vote during the National election. In my district, there was weren't any nonpartisan positions being elected on so there wouldn't have been any reason for an Independent to vote this time. Go to Voting in Maryland. This is the Maryland State Board of Elections website. It might be able to help you.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:45 AM

297 posts, read 1,273,616 times
Here in Carroll County the Independents could only vote for members of the Board of Education.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:09 AM

27 posts, read 185,097 times
Quote:
What is the point of declining to register with a party? All you get for it (in MD, anyway) is the inability to vote in the primary.

Just pick whichever party is more likely to have a competitive or relevant primary. Heck, I switch just about every election cycle. It's not like they make you take a loyalty oath or pay dues.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:29 PM

629 posts, read 946,233 times
If your jurisdiction wasn't having a school board nonpartisan primary, then if he's not registered under a party, he can't vote in their primary. That's the way it usually is in Md. Sometimes a party will open their primary to Independents, but I don't think it's been done often at all.

Old 02-13-2008, 06:05 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,301,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankLaw View Post
Every state has different rules with regard to primary voting. In Virginia, for example, Republicans can vote for a Democratic candidate in the primaries and vice versa (although they can't vote in more than one party's primaries). The rule in Maryland is if you want to vote in a party's primaries you have to be a registered member of that party. That's just the way it is.

Those two sentences I've bolded contradict each other (at least as far as today's voting is concerned, since it was the primaries today), so I'm not sure what you meant to say there.
My husband was told since he is an independent voter he can only vote in November. He wants to vote but not register as either party because he votes either way.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:09 PM

339 posts, read 1,518,455 times
Quote:
My husband was told since he is an independent voter he can only vote in November. He wants to vote but not register as either party because he votes either way.

Via friends, I've heard two different approaches --

1. Maryland is such a Democratic state that you should just be registered Democrat so you can vote in the Primary. If you are really Republican, then vote for the candidate you most likely think your Republican choice can beat. In the General election you can vote for anyone, so it really doesn't matter how you are registered.

- or -

2. As for which party to register with for primaries, you should register for the opposite party (i.e, register Republican if you're a Dem) and vote for the candidate YOUR party can most easily beat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
View detailed profiles of: