Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:11 PM

7 posts, read 15,650 times

Advertisements

Aloha! My husband, myself,along with our infant are moving to the area due to a job transfer and were wondering what subdivisions/areas with new homes are the best.

We have not had the opportunity to take a trip out there to look at the areas with new homes and any information about subdivisions with new homes, and/or experiences you have had would be helpful.

Having been raised in CA and lived in New York, Colorado and Hawaii for several years, we have found homes to be relatively inexpensive in Hagerstown and surrounding areas, inspight of some complaints about taxes in MD.

We considered Chambersburg, PA but after reading several blogs I am weary as they have stated that there are more pedophiles per capita then any surrounding counties. I don't know if there is much truth to that as I have not seen actual statistics (I don't intend to spark a debate on that).

We are of course concerned about our safety, family friendly communities and being close to conveniences (i.e. shopping, restaurants, etc).

Again, any experiences or advice will help.

Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM

13,630 posts, read 20,698,239 times
Hawaii to Hagerstown? Well, be prepared for a lot of raised eyebrows. But whatever turns you on.

Anyway, the areas around the golf course of the main country club are quite lovely and have always been considered the creme de la creme of Hagerstown, at least by our friends whom reside there. They are very nice areas.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:03 AM

74 posts, read 420,744 times
Hagerstown could be a little bit of a culture shock for you, I'm afraid. It's a pretty sleepy place.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 339,239 times
Default Frederick

May I throw in that Frederick is a great place to live. I can be a little pricey, but you should check it out. Hagerstown is a little more out of it, and Frederick has more diversity. But it will be a big transition.You gotta love that southern hospitality.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:35 PM

240 posts, read 1,063,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAbear View Post
May I throw in that Frederick is a great place to live. I can be a little pricey, but you should check it out. Hagerstown is a little more out of it, and Frederick has more diversity. But it will be a big transition.You gotta love that southern hospitality.
Again there is no southern hospitality in Frederick. I don't know why people have to sugar coat this area honestly.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 15,650 times
Default We don't really have a choice...

Well, my husband and I don't really have a choice in the matter of moving from Hawaii because my husband is in the military, but trust me, if I had my choice we would stay. I just thought anyone from the area might have any suggestions with areas that have new homes.

I do appreciate all your honesty though! I am still awaiting any other suggestions.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:27 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,212,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAbear View Post
On the other hand, I don't think Hagerstown is as out of it as the places to the west of it!

Old 02-19-2008, 05:42 PM

96 posts, read 365,237 times
That will be a transition!

I personally love Maryland, there are lots of good places to live.

It's family-friendly and safe almost everywhere, except PG County, DC, and Baltimore.
Affordability is another question - near DC is quite expensive. Hagerstown and western MD are cheap but kinda remote. Frederick is a good place, still pretty reasonably-priced. I would pick Frederick over Hagerstown, myself.

Good luck!!!

Old 03-06-2008, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,224 times
Default Military Relocation

[quote=islandgirlfromca;2867842]Well, my husband and I don't really have a choice in the matter of moving from Hawaii because my husband is in the military, but trust me, if I had my choice we would stay. I just thought anyone from the area might have any suggestions with areas that have new homes.

I am am military spouse and a REALTOR®, and have relocated here in the last 8 months. We looked for homes from WV to Greencastle, PA over to Frederick, MD, and settled in Hagerstown because of the more bang for the buck mentality along with the drive in proximity to his work.

We are originally from Mississippi so I know southern hospitality. From a personal perspective not an opinion of my profession. Hagerstown is more rural, with an older population I think from an new arrival stand point, but I am a middle aged mom with 2 kids what do I know? If you want a new home there are so many out there with lower price points than Frederick. Also, some great news came out with FHA loans and they have raised the limits on loan amounts to 377k. BAH in the area is pretty good so if you hunt, you can easily find something. As you know it is finding something from the perspective of turn over in 2-3 years. Email or repost if you would like more info.

Semper Fi

Old 06-04-2008, 07:12 PM

76 posts, read 275,383 times
Hagerstown is a nice place to live and it is slowly becoming more trendy and having a younger professional group moving in. You won't regret it especially you have a baby to consider.

I am speaking from experience - moving from Frederick to hagerstown and I have a child myself.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland