Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 02:38 PM

196 posts, read 795,978 times

Advertisements

???? Yes, you are taxed ONCE when you buy the vehicle. If you buy another vehicle, you pay taxes on that vehicle, once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2008, 04:33 PM

413 posts, read 909,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaindow View Post
One thing that I've seen come up often on the board is the desire to move to a cheaper state than MD, and I thought it might be helpful to list some of the "hidden" costs that one might not think to consider, but maybe should consider, before deciding which cheaper state to move to.

For instance, during the time we lived in Louisiana (LA),
  • Sales Tax On Food: We paid 9% sales tax on everything we bought, including food.
  • Car Insurance: We paid more for car insurance in LA because there was such a high incidence of accidents and uninsured motorists. We were with Nationwide when we moved to LA and they would not insure us anymore. They told us the company did not cover LA since it was such a high risk state (That was ironic and quite hilarious given their name!)
  • Health Insurance Premiums: We paid more health insurance premiums and out-of-pocket costs there because the plans we had were not as comprehensive.
  • Car Transfers: At the time we transferred an out-of-state vehicle to LA, in addition to the normal fees for transfer, there was another fee for doing so, which was a percentage of the blue book value of your car.
Does anyone else have any suggestions for things to consider?
We paid 5% of our vehicles' values--a couple thousand dollars, in all--to title and register in Maryland. It was much cheaper to do so in Texas and Kansas.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:30 PM

743 posts, read 2,243,469 times
Unfortunately in NC you do have to pay the $150 highway tax to register your car, then the yearly personal property tax which is a percentage of the blue book value. In my situation, I just bought a new car when I moved here, so I did not have to pay the tax on my old car from MD nor the $150 due to just getting new plates when I bought my car. My other car was already paid for so to pay the $150 was just a part of life and my $99 property tax, well that covered my new sewer tax I had in MD so its equal.

Also my car insurance is about the same only like $30 a month cheaper.

Groceries are a little higher in NC

Insurance is about $50 more a month per family but I didn't compare the plans exactly.

I feel if you want to move and make a better life for your family, the little bit more is worth it. Considering my electric bill went down $250 less per month. That more than makes up for the property tax.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:36 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Please go anywhere but Texas if you're looking for the land of milk and honey. It only gets more expensive the more people move here....works the same way for NC or wherever else.

NC's low property taxes seem to blind people to the constant nickel-and-diming that state does to you. Add to the fact they're looking at converting freeways to toll so they can afford to build more roads - after you're led to believe that highway tax you pay when you buy your car should be paying for that.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:43 AM

847 posts, read 3,353,700 times
My property tax in NC is about $11,000/yr. Looking at comparably priced (though admittedly smaller) places in MD, my property tax looks like it'll probably go down a few thousand after I move back north.

And yes, food is oddly expensive down here too. I already told this story on another thread, but I moved down here with my husband from NYC, and we had just been remarking that our grocery bills hadn't seemed to go down at all after the move when we found a section of the local paper from the early 1950's stuffed into a hole somewhere in our crawlspace containing a story about how food prices in Charlotte were higher than in Manhattan.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:43 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
If you don't turn in your tags, who's fault is that?
Many other states do not require tags to be turned in at all.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM

33 posts, read 67,458 times
Default Hidden Costs

We currently reside in the DFW area of Texas. Although we don't have an income tax, we pay 8.5% s/t. I just sold a $190k house. My real state tax was over $3k per year and home owners ins. of almost $2k

Old 02-18-2008, 04:03 PM

847 posts, read 3,353,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldawg View Post
We currently reside in the DFW area of Texas. Although we don't have an income tax, we pay 8.5% s/t. I just sold a $190k house. My real state tax was over $3k per year and home owners ins. of almost $2k
$3k $2k/yr is pretty steep on $190k house. I think you win (so far).

Old 02-18-2008, 04:56 PM

113 posts, read 414,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutgarden View Post
???? Yes, you are taxed ONCE when you buy the vehicle. If you buy another vehicle, you pay taxes on that vehicle, once.
Five months ago, we moved from MD to PA. We re-registered our vehicles, that were both purchased in MD, in PA. We are now moving back to MD.

Do we have to pay the 5% tax when we come back? My husband thinks not as we've already paid it when we bought the cars. It seems like we shouldn't have to, but you never know...

Old 02-18-2008, 05:51 PM

122 posts, read 379,799 times
Default anyone move here from ohio

has anyone moved here from columbus ohio if so compare please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland